• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dallas Area Shop?

paulluthi

I am new to BMW MOA so please forgive me if this posting is wrong in some way, just really need some advice.

I JUST got my first BMW, a 2004 R1150R. I was riding it home and it started wobbling. Pulled to the shoulder just as the rear brake locked up. When I got off the bike, I saw that the final drive had come almost completely off the wheel, which was holding on by a few threads of 1 lug nut. The others were just sitting loosely there. Any Idea what would cause this in the first place?

Long story short, I need a place I can take it to that can repair it fast, reliably, and without causing my wallet to cry UNCLE. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the South Dallas area? The main caveat is that I am a truck driver and i am leaving Tuesday morning for my usual 3 week haul so I either need someone that can fix it in a day, or someone who can hold on to the bike until i get back in 3 weeks. Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1133.jpgIMG_1134.jpg

Paul -

Welcome to the forum...sorry for you situation...hopefully someone from the local area will chime in. In the link in my signature line, there's a section on independent mechanics plus a link to the list of dealers. In the Dallas area, I only see the dealer in Plano which is way north Dallas. One link that I use a lot is the one to Airhead friendly shops:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

I offer this up so that you might try calling a few of these places and ask for their guidance...again, I don't see any in south Dallas.

Another thing you'll fight is that some shops will be closed on Monday's leaving you little time to work something out.

You should consider using the Anonymous book and see if you can find someone today to hold on to your bike when you have to leave. If you don't have the physical book with you can check the online version here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74213-The-Anonymous-Book-Mobile-Edition

However, when I look at this thread, I can see that you've already looked there...hopefully you were able to make the online version work for you.

Hope that helps a bit.

Paul -

Welcome to the forum...sorry for you situation...hopefully someone from the local area will chime in. In the link in my signature line, there's a section on independent mechanics plus a link to the list of dealers. In the Dallas area, I only see the dealer in Plano which is way north Dallas. One link that I use a lot is the one to Airhead friendly shops:

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

I offer this up so that you might try calling a few of these places and ask for their guidance...again, I don't see any in south Dallas.

Another thing you'll fight is that some shops will be closed on Monday's leaving you little time to work something out.

You should consider using the Anonymous book and see if you can find someone today to hold on to your bike when you have to leave. If you don't have the physical book with you can check the online version here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74213-The-Anonymous-Book-Mobile-Edition

However, when I look at this thread, I can see that you've already looked there...hopefully you were able to make the online version work for you.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you, I'll look into that. Not exactly sure how the Anonymous Book works but yes i was trying to figure it out last night. I found a couple of shops on Google and will check out the link you suggested too. Fingers crossed!

If you need help with the Anonymous Book, either post back here or PM me by clicking on my username.

I got the tire back on like it was supposed to be myself. I guess the lug nuts were just loose to begin with, or they somehow became loose. Anyway, no harm, no foul, just some soiled boxers.

BUT it did damage the rear brake caliper. Anyone know where i could order one for a reasonable price? Is used ok?

Back