• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mirrors for a 2015 RT

JWP

Just purchased a 2015 RT and cannot adjust the mirrors so I can see directly behind me. My question is; does anyone know if there any way to put additional mirror(s) to alleviate the problem?

Not sure but this is water cooled IIRC? Let me know and I'll move this to Wetheads.
OM

Yes, there is an OEM solution, and also others from non-BMW vendors. What I did for my 2015 RT was to purchase two mirrors from the current GS model, and two of what are called "pipe clamps." These pieces are $38 each and the mirrors run about $80 apiece. It's an expensive solution to this problem. I'll come up with the part numbers, and add them to this post when I find them. In the meantime, here are two photos to contemplate. The first is the overall view and the second is of the "pipe clamp." I've also added a photo taken on a ferry from VT to NY to give a better view of the mirrors.

IMG_2131.jpgIMG_2132.jpgDSC_1636.jpg

Wunderlich America also sells a similar clamp for $43, but I think the thread is different from the OEM thread.

Anyway, here is the BMW Part Number for the pipe clamp: 32 72 8 532 971 It's the same on both sides.

The BMW part # for the mirrors is: 51 16 8 533 685/686 In this case, you'll need one for each side, and the number ending is 685 is one side and the same number ending in 686 is for the other. I can't recall which is which at the moment.

Other posts may follow this, with other solutions and some will cost less. Nonetheless, any solution will make your rides safer.

After having these on my RT for 1500 miles, I find that I use the fairing-mounted mirrors for distance views of the road, and the handlebar mirrors for closer-in work. I'd still like to have some little convex mirrors to catch the blind spot, but I haven't found an acceptable size yet as they're all about 2".

Last edited:
Great thread! Great info! Getting a new R1200RT in the spring and have been more than a little concerned over the hoopala over the stock mirrors! I am 6'3" and feel excellent rearward vision as an absolute necessity and am so glad there is a simple solution! This will be top of my list of farkles!
Question? Are you allowed to start buying farkles five months before you take delivery of your new bike?:bikes:ca

Funny mirrors

I traded in my 09 RT for the new RTW and love it. One of the things I like about the new model is that for the first time, I can use the stock mirrors and don't feel the need to add more. I think its funny that others have trouble with the mirrors on the new models.

Mary - I had bar-mounted mirrors on my 2008 RT because the fairing-mounted mirrors were blocked by the bar-backed position of my hands.

When I got the new RT, at first I thought I could live with the stock mirrors, but after a few surprises during the first 200 miles I had the bike, I felt the need for something up high and close as opposed to down low and far away. I felt I just wasn't seeing everything I wanted to.

I traded in my 09 RT for the new RTW and love it. One of the things I like about the new model is that for the first time, I can use the stock mirrors and don't feel the need to add more. I think its funny that others have trouble with the mirrors on the new models.

On my '04 RT the stock mirrors were great. When I got an '09, all I could see with the stock mirrors was my knuckles, and I added auxilliary mirrors. Now with my new '15, the stockers suit me just fine. I'm 5'6" and that's probably the biggest variable. For you tall folks, YMMV.

I spent $5 for spot mirrors on my RT. I stuck them to the outside lower corners of the mirrors and had a clear view to the rear.

The threaded rear clamp replacements EcGMan used are also a great way to add RAM balls. I have one on each side, SPOT mounted on the left, RD mounted on the right.

I know another guy in MA who does that same second mirror set up on his RT, and ST1300 prior...

Me too, Mary--I'm fine with them. I added some of those little stick on blind spot mirrors but otherwise the stock ones work.

What is the solution if you have the LED Aux light switch on the left side, it uses the spot what could be used by the BMW or Wunderlich mirror adaptors. I was thinking i could use the stock ones until i had some surprises too.

Wunderlich makes some trick, gold tinted mirrors that go over the stock mirror. They are pricy (what isn't for a BMW) since I installed a set two other of my RT friends have done likewise. They do work, đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Adjust the mirrors such that the view is below your elbows. The dealer should have shown you how. My last 3 RT's were adjusted that way and are fine with the view.

Wunderlich got my $$$ again. Ordered and installed those new mirrors over stock ones...glue curing will give them a test drive tomm.

Installed the wunderlich mirrors on my K1600, I was impressed and yes they are $$$
When my new RT arrived first thing I ordered, along with foot extender and shift extender was the RT mirrors. Now three of my buddies RT's sport the wunderlich mirrors, they work and look way kool!!!

Back