Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Popping

Do a leakdown test.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Cool Exhaust popping and top speed

Exhaust popping on closed throttle decel can be caused by leaks in the exhaust, intake or over-lean AFR. Or any combination of the aforementioned.
    Top speed should be approximately 120mph at normal elevations and on flat ground. Use a GPS to eliminate speedo error.
    I have an '04 RT and it will now run 120ish given enough room. Prior to changing the internal tank fuel lines and filter, it would be hard pressed to touch 100. Amazing improvement. I could hardly blow through the old filter and could have breathed through the new one. 47K on the. Bike and I don't know if the filter had been changed before but it looked like everything inside was undisturbed from new.
    PS. I had a K1100RS prior and that one was good for way over 130 without even breathing hard.
    The more I learn about women, the more I love motorcycles!

Quote Originally Posted by motorrod View Post
    Exhaust popping on closed throttle decel can be caused by leaks in the exhaust, intake or over-lean AFR. Or any combination of the aforementioned.
    Top speed should be approximately 120mph at normal elevations and on flat ground. Use a GPS to eliminate speedo error.
    I have an '04 RT and it will now run 120ish given enough room. Prior to changing the internal tank fuel lines and filter, it would be hard pressed to touch 100. Amazing improvement. I could hardly blow through the old filter and could have breathed through the new one. 47K on the. Bike and I don't know if the filter had been changed before but it looked like everything inside was undisturbed from new.
    PS. I had a K1100RS prior and that one was good for way over 130 without even breathing hard.
    My son has a k1200rs that will do over 140. And my r1150r would indicate 135. Also if I wanted new injectors, what flow do I want? There are several available.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998f150 View Post
    My son has a k1200rs that will do over 140. And my r1150r would indicate 135. Also if I wanted new injectors, what flow do I want? There are several available.
    You want the stock injectors:
    Same flow rate
    Same spray pattern
    Same reach into the TB bore
    Same dimension from TB bore to fuel distributor

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    You want the stock injectors:
    Same flow rate
    Same spray pattern
    Same reach into the TB bore
    Same dimension from TB bore to fuel distributor
    Ok, but that doesn't help me order new or rebuilt injectors. Is there markings on the injectors? How do I know what I have?

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998f150 View Post
    The injectors you want are not normally ordered by flow rate but rather a BMW part number.
    From the MaxBMW online Fiche:
    13 71 1 342 366 INJECTION VALVE 0.08 2 $150.85

I doubt that the injectors are the problem with that mileage though. These are extremely reliable parts. Suspect you have a fuel filter or fuel flow issue. Sending the injectors for cleaning and flow rate testing is a good alternative to new in any case. Normally there is nothing wrong with them other than varnish buildup and this is easily remedied by a shop with the right equipment.
    Speed?
    My 2000 1100RT has done 126 MPH (clocked by GPS, not the speedo which reads HIGH) fully loaded in the Oregon desert. So 109 MPH is a bit anemic and something is wrong.

- Start with the basics. Spray some solvent (WD40 works) around the intake tubes and throttle bodies and look for leaks indicated by an increase in idle speed.
    - Do a leak down test as Anton suggested to determine condition of cylinders etc.
    - Replace your fuel filter and internal tank hoses while you are in there with R10 rated submersible fuel hose.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT