• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 R12GSA water pumps

Has anyone had a problem with the water pump on their 2014-2015 R 12 GS or GSA? I have a 2015 GSA that is in the shop for the 6K service. The dealer advised me that my water pump was leaking and that it needed replaced. Upon asking a few questions the dealer advised that I was lucky to have made it to 6K miles because they have replaced several of the water pumps at the 600 mile service. Is there a problem with BMW water cooled boxer cooling systems?:banghead:brad

No problem with the cooling system, just the water pump seal. Change the pump under warranty. Generally fixes the problem although some people have had the replacement dribble as well. In 5000 kms while I waited for the new pump to arrive the coolant leakage was only noticeable by the stains on the side of the engine near the weep hole, the coolant tank showed no discernible level drop. New pump has been leak free all summer and 12,000 kms.

I recently returned home from a long summer tour from Florida to Alaska on my 2015 R1200GSA, which now has nearly 28k miles behind it. At one of the four regular service visits, the service manager mentioned the weep hole, showed me where it is, and recommended that I check it regularly since other bikes were reportedly having water pump seal leaks. Thus far I haven't yet noticed any leakage at all.

During the tour, the bike was flawless, except for the saddle, which I replaced with a Bill Mayer saddle at 8,500 miles. I've been quite satisfied with the new saddle.

Don

Has anyone had a problem with the water pump on their 2014-2015 R 12 GS or GSA? I have a 2015 GSA that is in the shop for the 6K service. The dealer advised me that my water pump was leaking and that it needed replaced. Upon asking a few questions the dealer advised that I was lucky to have made it to 6K miles because they have replaced several of the water pumps at the 600 mile service. Is there a problem with BMW water cooled boxer cooling systems?:banghead:brad

Same here! Lol, but never went back to get a replacement pump,,, have ridden 11,800 miles so far, and not a major issue. Just keep your eye on the coolant level, it does spit out the side hole near tranny case.
I guess It will get done at my 12,000.

I've now got 22K smiles on my 2015 GSA wethead. There was a very slight weep shortly after I bought it, which I attribute to 'wear-in' for new equipment. None since. No other problems, other than replacenent of the cruise control switch et al , and issues with the lock cylinders on the OEM bags. I'm happy riding on Tourance Next's which seem to last only a month or so.

I'm thinking that I have a coolant leak. 2015 G S A I've had for 2 weeks with 1900 miles on it. Not happy

Attachments

• 20151020_190227_resized.jpg
    20151020_190227_resized.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 462
weep hole?

I recently returned home from a long summer tour from Florida to Alaska on my 2015 R1200GSA, which now has nearly 28k miles behind it. At one of the four regular service visits, the service manager mentioned the weep hole, showed me where it is, and recommended that I check it regularly since other bikes were reportedly having water pump seal leaks. Thus far I haven't yet noticed any leakage at all.

During the tour, the bike was flawless, except for the saddle, which I replaced with a Bill Mayer saddle at 8,500 miles. I've been quite satisfied with the new saddle.

Don

So where is this Weep Hole?

There is a hole (circled in red) in the case that I presume is the weep hole. It appears to be where something is coming from on my bike. It is on the left side of the motor.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 449
I'd suggest that you clean up the current mess and then monitor the area for continued leakage for a while. Your mess looks more excessive than my 'wear-in' leak was.

I have not had any weeping on my 2014 RT. I do wonder why the hole was put there. Was some discharge expected and if it is, is it ''normal''?

I think that I've been told on other bikes that the weep hole is there so you can tell if the water pump is starting to leak. You can catch it before it gets to bad.....

I got a leak on my 15 R12 GSA. I'll watch it for a while before I "call it in". It's mostly when the outside temp is low.

Coolant leaks Water cooled BMW engines

The issue is a seal that allows coolant to leak from the left side of the engine case through the "Weap hole." I purchased a 2014 R1200RTW in Feb. of 2014. I had issues w/ the water pump, considerable coolant dribbling from the weap hole by the first service.
The second pump seal failed at @ 20K.
I now have just over 37 K on the Rt- on the third water pump. FYI- this was also an issue w/ the early GT and GTL water cooled engines.
I suspect the vendor has replace or modified the seal on the water pump since the bikes were first manufactured, if they haven't already in current batch of pumps being supplied to dealers?
Interestingly, I also purchased a R1200GSA ( 2014 ) in Aug. of 2014. Approaching 18 k w/ no sign of coolant leaking from the weap Hole.

Definitely a warranty issue and is replaced often by dealers. Hoping a newer water pump seal will solve this issue?

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

Was just showing someone where the weep hole was and noticed that I now have a small leak from the new water pump (that was replaced about 15,000 kms and 6 months ago). I guess the replacement pump will need to be replaced. The new leak must have just started as it is leaking much less than the original and it wasn't there two weeks ago.

I noticed a leak on my ride to Billings. The dealer in Sturgis was willing to replace the water pump, but did not have one in stock.

I kept an eye on the coolant level. Back in New York, I talked to my dealer. He said they sometimes weep a little, and not to worry about it, so I won't. He said under certain circumstances it might weep a bit, and that was the advice from BMWNA.

I've never seen any leak on the ground and the coolant level has not changed enough to worry about it. I haven't seen the level go down at all.

Harry

I showed the bike to the dealer in early August. After he told me not to worry about it, I washed the bike, including the area where the seepage was visible.

I checked just now: no further signs of seepage at all.

Harry

I showed the bike to the dealer in early August. After he told me not to worry about it, I washed the bike, including the area where the seepage was visible.

I checked just now: no further signs of seepage at all.

Harry

Harry, don't worry about it. :)

I've been steadily not worrying about the seeping oil from Annie's water pump on her F650GS for nearly two years and 15K miles.

2014-2015 GSA water pump seepage issue/new water pump part #?

Does anyone who has replaced their water pump know if the new replacement water pump part # installed to correct the seepage issue is the same original water-pump or is it a different pump amd part #?

Thanks!

Back