• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Reason for replacing standard bulb with LED bulbs

kioolt

What is the reason some of you change your standard taillight, brake or turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs?

I can agree with the brighter and last longer but the draw less power is only true if you don't put the parallel resistors across them to make the flasher and bulb monitoring circuits work correctly. If you add the resistors you're just negating the less power reason.

I also like the way they turn on and off more sharply.

I can agree with the brighter and last longer but the draw less power is only true if you don't put the parallel resistors across them to make the flasher and bulb monitoring circuits work correctly. If you add the resistors you're just negating the less power reason.

I've replaced my standard tail light with a multi-unit LED one. Much more visible when I stomp on the brakes now.

I put LED light on my pull behind trailer because ever since I bought the trailer I though that the lights were very poor, especially in daylight. The original light fixture had a single dual filament bulb and no reflector. I often had trouble with them working at all unless I took them out, sanded and sprayed WD40 on them. The LED setup that I bought were shaped the same so they are a direct replacement. They also have multiple LED scattered across the surface. I'm much happier with them now.

True on for turn signals. Brake lights, running and dash bulbs draw less power. For some bikes with small alternator led bulbs can be a huge power draw saver allowing for the use of heated gear when otherwise you couldn't.

It's why I said generally.

Back