• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Starvation Issue or what? '87 K75s

Ken,

I'm sorry I didn't jump back in on this thread earlier. I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck that affects my whole right side and typing does not help it.

Going back through this thread, my comments are as follows;

The air filter SHOULD have kept any debris caused by the mouse from affecting the air flow meter itself. But, if enough debris was present under the filter, it could affect running, but I would expect it to affect high rpm first just by virtue of reduced airflow capacity.

The fact that the motor runs poorly at low rpm, but fine at high rpm suggests good fuel and air flow and good spark (IF your spark plug gap is correct. Too large a gap will have trouble firing at low rpms). Another possibility is exhaust valves that are too tight.

If the plugs are good and gapped correctly, the exhaust valves are correctly adjusted, and the fuel pressure is correct, it suggests a vacuum leak, or more accurately, unmetered (unseen by the computer) air entering the intake tract. If more air is entering the cylinders than the computer knows about, the computer does not inject the appropriate fuel and the bike runs very lean. Since the excess air remains relatively constant throughout the rpm range, the proportion of excess air at low rpm is high and the proportion of excess air at high rpm is low. The bike will run poorly at low rpm and ok at high rpm.

The possible sources of this vacuum leak are (roughly in order of probability or ease/cost of correcting:

#1 crankcase breather hose 11 15 1 460 480 VENT HOSE $15.94 Use ONLY BMW original. Aftermarket ones are weaker than originals and originals can go bad in 1-2 years. They will crack just below the upper and just above the lower hose clamps.

#2 throttlebody vacuum caps on #1 and #2 cylinders (+#3 on K100s)

#3 an unplugged or cracked hose or plug to the nipple at the front top of the engine just below the fan. This is where the fuel tank was originally vented. In reventing, many previous owners either did this wrong or poorly so that a leak develops.

#4 the oil filler O-ring. This O-ring never gets any thought, but it hardens and then instead of o-ring to crank cover you get plastic cap to cover with some air leakage. Cheap insurance; if you feel the cap hit the crankcover when you tighten your oil filler cap, replace the O-ring. I use a thicker crosssection O-ring that gives me a lot longer life before it no longer seals.

Now we get to the things that take more work or $$$ to replace:

#5 the vacuum line between the #3 (or #4 on a K100) cylinder and the fuel pressure regulator. This is just bulk vacuum hose, nothing special.

#6 the 2 1/2" rubber elbow between the air flow meter and the intake plenum 13 31 1 460 563 HOSE ASSY $31.17 If this hose has ANY cracks, it will cause a MAJOR running problem.

#7 the throttle body upper and lower boots (manifolds). If anyone of the six (or 8 on a K100) are bad, replace them all because of the labor involved to get at them. 11 61 1 460 408 INTAKE MANIFOLD 3 required $55.41ea. plus 11 61 1 460 755 BUSHING 3 required $5.39 ea.

#8 a bad fuel pressure regulator. This can either cause a vacuum leak because of a bad diaphragm, or it can cause too high a fuel pressure which COULD cause the exact problems that you are experiencing. Too much fuel for the air at low rpm but liveable at higher rpm. This is not as likely as a vacuum leak, but IS possible. You can test with a gauge Tee'd into the return hose between the rear of the fuel rail and the fuel pressure regulator with the bike running. Should be about 38psi +/-.

RETURN hose between the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the tank MUST be the factory premolded hose, otherwise it WILL kink when the tank is moved forward into position. 13 31 1 461 011 HOSE $21.30

Hose from rear of fuel rail to fuel pressure regulator can be bulk INJECTION RATED hose.

W83013 ARE the correct pliers for the BMW oetiker clamps used on your throttle bodies.

The old clamps need to be CUT off. I use a pair of 10" end cutters on the bump with some twisting. You need to use NEW clamps. They are a one time use. 11 61 1 460 900 CLAMP - D=48,5mm 3reqd. $2.67ea. 11 61 1 460 901 CLAMP - D=50mm 3reqd. $2.26ea.

Your photo is somewhat confusing as your hand is infront of the nipple on the block that should be plugged. The length of hose that is plugged only adds to the possible places for it to leak and the possibility of it getting into the fan. Cap it right at the nipple with a THICK vacuum cap that won't crack.

The reason the vacuum line from the #3 throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator is in a spring is so it won't kink or collapse. This is just bulk vacuum hose. Replace all three hoses to the fuel pressure regulator at this time due to the fact that you're already there and they're such a pain to get to (remember, FACTORY MOULDED hose from regulator to tank).

I would suggest that you do the full european style of venting your fuel tank:

Purchase "the CUP", or as BMW calls it: 16 13 2 307 467 AIR ACCUMULATOR $2.46

This is a plastic cup that clips to the frame rail just below the two nipples on the right rear of your tank. NOTHING attaches to the nipples, thereby making removal and replacement of the tank easier (Hoses attached to these nipples can kink during the last move of pushing the tank forward).

The front nipple is the tank vent. The rear nipple is the rain drain from the filler cap area (the hole at 9 o'clock on the filler neck when the cap is open. NEVER turn the filler cap so that it opens forward, as it will block this drain).

The hose that WAS connected to the rain drain nipple and runs down to the right peg plate should now be connected to the "cup" drain.

The Hose that WAS connected to the tank vent and runs through the check valve to the nipple on the front top of the block just below the fan can be discarded. The nipple on the block MUST be capped!

Now anything that comes out the rain drain OR the tank vent drops into the cup and is drained through the hose to the peg plate area like any older motorcycle. No fuel or fuel vapors in your tank. No kinked hoses preventing adequate tank venting. Easier tank removal and tank replacement. The cost: $2.46 plus a few more molecules of carbon products that go into the atmosphere instead of into your oil.

IF (and only if) you do the complete above modification, then you can also do a "flapperectomy":

Remove your gas cap assembly (four screws under cap).

Invert cap assembly and remove three screws that hold the "flapper" to the underside of the cap assembly. Remove flapper.

Reinstall cap.

This will allow you to:

more easily fill the bike

monitor the condition of the tank internals (pump, damper, dirt , water)

check the amount of the fuel in the tank

add about 1/4 gallon more fuel (NEVER fill more than about 3/8" from neck or it will just pour out into the "cup" and onto the ground as you accelerate away from the gas station).

Again, sorry for not checking in sooner on your thread. I'll try and keep up.:hungover

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Moving forward with this project

First of all, thanks to all for your help and great suggestions. Lee, wishing you a speedy recovery - many thanks for taking the time to write your summary! Had not ordered the fuel accumulator and did - so this is good. Shortened the hose with machine screw in it that plugs nipple on engine case where the fuel return used to go. t - it's just the right size and snug as a bug.

Pictures below show how I removed the Oetiker clamps w/out having a specific tool to do it - used tin snips and a dremel with a small cutting wheel for the clamps closest to airbox.

Attachments

• K75 removing oetiker clamps.jpg
    K75 removing oetiker clamps.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 102
  • K75 cut oetiker clamps.jpg
    K75 cut oetiker clamps.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 102
Parts Arrived

The nice thing about ordering parts from my local BMW dealer is they'll let me return w/out a restocking fee if I don't need something - the Manifolds that attach to the engine block were dirty but cleaned up well. I ran them in the Ultrasonic cleaner a couple cycles and comparing to the new ones, I'm inclined to re-use the existing ones - they're 28 years old - thoughts on this? The new manifolds are about $55 each - I realize the labor factor of going back in but I don't see any cracks or visible signs of failure and rubber is still pliable.

The upper rubber tubes that connect between tops of throttle bodies and air box are okay but being as inexpensive I'm planning to use the new parts.

Top manifold is new and lower manifold is existing part. Thoughts?

Attachments

• K75 Manifold Flange.jpg
    K75 Manifold Flange.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 102
  • K75 Ultrasonic Cleaner.jpg
    K75 Ultrasonic Cleaner.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 102
New Parts and renewed injector and test results from Mr. Injector

The only thing not pictured is the (3) Life Savers Mr. Injector sent with my injectors. I'm always impressed with good service and vendors who aim to please. The turnaround time was about 5 days from shipping them off to receiving them. The cost was $17 an injector - if you look at earlier posts, injectors were pretty crusty. Test results show they were probably okay but he did report one of the O rings, probably the front one, was cracked, which would have probably accounted for gas smell and residue on engine block surrounding front injector.

Picture below is one of three renewed injectors and note re-install instructions at bottom of test results - great detail and great service!

Attachments

• K75 Renewed Injector.jpg
    K75 Renewed Injector.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Mr Injector Test Results K75s.jpg
    Mr Injector Test Results K75s.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 103
Use a little vasaline on the mating surfaces of the manifolds. This will allow a less pliable used manifold to seal better.

I agree, Mr. Injector's service is first rate.

Use a little vasaline on the mating surfaces of the manifolds. This will allow a less pliable used manifold to seal better.

I agree, Mr. Injector's service is first rate.

Thanks, Lee - would you use the existing original manifold I removed or use the new ones? Visibly, it doesn't look like a wear item, nor is it hard like an old fuel hose . . .

My Scottish heritage would force me to inspect them carefully and if there are no signs of cracking and they are somewhat pliable (an indication that cracking is still a ways off), I would save the $150 for more fuel and tires. I would go ahead and change the cheap ones as you were thinking.:thumb

My Scottish heritage would force me to inspect them carefully and if there are no signs of cracking and they are somewhat pliable (an indication that cracking is still a ways off), I would save the $150 for more fuel and tires. I would go ahead and change the cheap ones as you were thinking.:thumb

Thanks - okay to use a dab of rtv on base of manifolds that mates to engine block?

Thought entered my head about running throttle body in ultrasonic - I've used it for cleaning carbs -called Charlie at Bing agency about cleaning in ultrasonic and he'd never been asked that Q before - we both talked and figured carb cleaner should be good enough - although there's a couple passageways, the throttle bodies don't have all the moving parts a Carb has - so my plan is to leave it alone.

Last edited:
Thanks - okay to use a dab of rtv on base of manifolds that mates to engine block?

If you do, you MAY have more difficulty removing them without damage next time (29 more years and 110,000 miles from now). :dunno

Took a closer look at old/new manifold & notice new one has a subtle rubber ridge around perimeter of hole that goes on engine. Seeing some minor other deterioration in rubber underside - may use new ones to ensure best possible seal on bottom. First image new manifold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 89
RTV (fuel proof) that's allowed to set up a little before installation should take care of that. It's usually cracks in the side of the manifold that require replacement.

Routing of fuel injection wires

Reassembled throttle bodies to airbox & installed on bike. All went mostly well - a little trouble reversing one of the manifold clamps & getting screw back in but after about an hour finally switched gears and used a 7mm socket attached to hand driver & got lucky.

Believe I'll need to unplug master injector plug wire & reroute around front of throttle bodies as it's not looking right now :scratch

Tomorrows a new day! Oh, I plugged holes with after snapping pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 130
Reassembled throttle bodies to airbox & installed on bike. All went mostly well - a little trouble reversing one of the manifold clamps & getting screw back in but after about an hour finally switched gears and used a 7mm socket attached to hand driver & got lucky.

Believe I'll need to unplug master injector plug wire & reroute around front of throttle bodies as it's not looking right now

Ken,

It IS possible to get the hose clamps installed so that they interfere with full throttle operation. If I remember correctly (the bikes I can get to at the moment all have San Jose injector covers on them so I can't confirm at the moment) one of the screw clamps in a different orientation than the other two so it does not interfere with the linkage movement.

You are correct. The wire to the temp sensor is supposed to be routed IN FRONT of the throttle bodies bundled with the injector wires, then UNDER the forward end of the throttle body shaft and around the rear of the coolant standpipe to the temp sensor.

As I remembered, the screw clamp orientation is not symmetrical. #1 and #2 are roughly at 3 O'clock (Maybe 3:30 on #2), but #3 is about 10 O'clock with the screw head facing you. Check throttle operation throughout entire range to insure no interference.:thumb

P1000861.jpg

As I remembered, the screw clamp orientation is not symmetrical. #1 and #2 are roughly at 3 O'clock (Maybe 3:30 on #2), but #3 is about 10 O'clock with the screw head facing you. Check throttle operation throughout entire range to insure no interference.:thumb

View attachment 52118

Thanks, Lee - I'm good with orientation on clamps.

I took a stab at removing fuel injector temp. plug on back side under radiator hose - it has the thin wire holding on plug - normally, not an issue to remove but I'm probably going at it from the wrong angle.

Need something really thin to get under it - my micro screwdrivers and swiss army blade haven't done it so far - will have to think about it over the weekend and attack on Monday. :banghead

Progress report

View attachment 52118

Thanks Lee - picture shown above shows fuel injector clip not properly secured!

Using this straight pick enabled me to release safety clip holding fuel injector plug & reroute the wires. Fuel rail painted & ready to install - used a dab of oil on new o rings for smooth insertion & clipped into place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 98
Want to test TPS

Reinstalled TPS & have directions on testing with voltmeter - where should dial be as directions call for using ohmmeter setting.

Adjustments made so I now hear audible click when opening throttle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 98
Ohms is the quadrant to the left of "off" designated by the upsidedown horseshoe lookinhg symbol. Use the 20k or 200k setting. Notice the reading with leads not touching anthing (indication of an open circuit) then touch the leads to each other (indicates a closed circuit). By connecting the leads to each side of the TPS, you can tell if the switch is open (off) or closed (on). This way you can tell what the switch is doing even if you can't hear it.

Back