• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

FYI - 2015 R1200R LC Software Update

pete4638

After reading on another forum that BMW had released a software update for my 2015 R1200R LC, I called the closest BMW dealer. The service tech said that the software upgrade applies to some BMW motorcycles. I gave him my VIN and he said that the upgrade applied to my motorcycle. Even though the primary reason for the upgrade applies mostly to motorcycles with shift-assist, he said that the new software is recommended for motorcycles that do not have shift-assist too.

Hey Pete, the software update was done on my RT at the 600 miles service. I was told the update would result in smoother shifts, but I did not notice anything different following the update. Just my two cents worth.....but I would have it done. An aside question, can you ride at times during the winter months back in your area? Out here in Oregon I can ride at some point during all months of the winter.....but not a bunch!

I had the 2nd service done on my R1200RS at 7500 mile done this last monday. The software update made a clear and noticeable improvement on the shift assist. The is most noticeable into and out of 3rd gear...4th, 5th and 6th improved but they were pretty good before.

I've put another 500 miles on this week and I seem to be getting better gas milage...from 52 to about 54 cruising 60ish on secondary roads.
This comment is antidotal....so who know if the update did this ...maybe, maybe not. The milage per tank number are fact however.

I ride all year long. There are times in the winter here (western North Carolina), when the roads get too much frozen precipitation to ride safely, but that is usually only for a dozen or so days every winter - sometimes more, sometimes less. In the winter I often have to plan my rides to avoid shady roads where ice does not melt easily. Riding up the road, in the mountains, can be more challenging. Generally, it is fifteen degrees F colder in the mountains and ice on the roads can be a bigger problem. But there a lot of sunny days in the mountains during the winter that make for a great ride. The federal park service that controls the Blue Ridge Parkway, often shuts the parkway down even if there is just a prediction of snow or ice. After a storm, they will keep the parkway closed well past the time that they could open it again.

Several years ago I ordered a full set of Gerbing heated liners, including gloves. With insulated riding pants, and winter riding jacket, I am toasty at 15 degrees F. My Harley has vinyl lowers on the crash bars and a wide and tall windshield with deflectors to keep the wind off my hands. I just ordered handguards for my R1200R and am finalizing my decision on a big winter windshield.

Pete

Hey Pete, the software update was done on my RT at the 600 miles service. I was told the update would result in smoother shifts, but I did not notice anything different following the update. Just my two cents worth.....but I would have it done. An aside question, can you ride at times during the winter months back in your area? Out here in Oregon I can ride at some point during all months of the winter.....but not a bunch!

What improvement did you notice?

Much better into and out of 3rd gear. Some improvement on 4th too. 5th and 6th seem a bit better too

I don't believe into 1st and 2nd will ever be smooth at low/moderate speeds...too much engine/flywheel effect.
(I believe the shift assist technically works just fine in 1st and 2nd but the torque multiplier effect in moving between those gear give the bike/rider a very noticeable jerk...evan when the computer syncs the engine RPMs. The computer goosing the engine to sync still gives you butt a big jerk!)

The more aggressive your riding the better shift assists works.

Love it!

After reading on another forum that BMW had released a software update for my 2015 R1200R LC, I called the closest BMW dealer. The service tech said that the software upgrade applies to some BMW motorcycles. I gave him my VIN and he said that the upgrade applied to my motorcycle. Even though the primary reason for the upgrade applies mostly to motorcycles with shift-assist, he said that the new software is recommended for motorcycles that do not have shift-assist too.

Did they want to charge you for the update?

Much better into and out of 3rd gear. Some improvement on 4th too. 5th and 6th seem a bit better too

I don't believe into 1st and 2nd will ever be smooth at low/moderate speeds...too much engine/flywheel effect.
(I believe the shift assist technically works just fine in 1st and 2nd but the torque multiplier effect in moving between those gear give the bike/rider a very noticeable jerk...evan when the computer syncs the engine RPMs. The computer goosing the engine to sync still gives you butt a big jerk!)

The more aggressive your riding the better shift assists works.

Love it!
Thanks!

One shudders to read "my closest dealer." With these bikes you should be personal friends with a dealer's service personnel. It's fantasy to think otherwise.

One shudders to read "my closest dealer." With these bikes you should be personal friends with a dealer's service personnel. It's fantasy to think otherwise.
12k on my 2014 picked up in November of 2014 and it has not been to a dealer since the day it was wheeled out of the doors.

Tires, fluid changes and valve checks all done in my own garage.

I realize it is a baby still but I have no reason to expect it will not to continue to perform as is, nor do I feel a need to maintain a dealer service department relationship.

Guess I live in a fantasy world. Then again I was told my 2007 would surely self destruct and I should never ride it more than 50 miles from a dealer and yet nearly 40k on that bike in under two years with zero issues....good thing I don't listen to the intetwebs.

12k on my 2014 picked up in November of 2014 and it has not been to a dealer since the day it was wheeled out of the doors.

Tires, fluid changes and valve checks all done in my own garage.

I realize it is a baby still but I have no reason to expect it will not to continue to perform as is, nor do I feel a need to maintain a dealer service department relationship.

Guess I live in a fantasy world. Then again I was told my 2007 would surely self destruct and I should never ride it more than 50 miles from a dealer and yet nearly 40k on that bike in under two years with zero issues....good thing I don't listen to the intetwebs.
Good for you. However there have been several software updates.

Good for you. However there have been several software updates.
Good for me? Don't get that comment, my point is there is no reason to own in fear, have a "relationship" with your dealer or obsess about reports over the internet. If your bike is running fine there is no need to worry about software updates at all let alone run to the dealer anytime someone on the internet farts out a problem or availAble software update for an issue which may or may not exist.

And sometimes these updates can make a fine running bike run worse....I hear VW is coming out with a software update for their diesel engines.....

Software updates

Maybe this is anecdotal but since the 6k service, I'm getting 2mpg better than before. That's probably not a reason to use dealers vs self service.
I'm just sayin...

Ron

Back