• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil can display

JIMMC

I routinely check the oil level on my 2014 R1200RTW via the sight glass. It normally is at the top of the ring in the sight glass. I also occasionally check the level with the wonder wheel. Initially I got the OK but now I consistently get the OIL CAN display! I advised the dealer I purchased and obtain service at of this at my 18000 service. He advised that the difference between the OIL CAN and the OK was so close it was extremely difficult to adjust. Consequently all I now get with the wonder wheel is the oil can but the sight glass displays the proper amount. The dealer advised the OIL CAN being displayed does not indicate a problem or trouble. I use Castrol Power RS 5-40. Has anyone experienced this situation or found a fix? The bike is still under warranty. Jim

If I'm understanding your description correctly I too have the same indication. I either see OK or --- , this can happen between "on" and "off" of the bike. My oil is at the same level as yours and never seems to change. I haven't had a concern over this since I can check the true level via the site glass and hoping a warning light will inform me of a problem. Please keep us posted.

Jay

I either see OK or --- , this can happen between "on" and "off" of the bike. My oil is at the same level as yours and never seems to change.

Jay

If the bike is not up to operating temperature or at idle it will show ---.

If the bike is not up to operating temperature or at idle it will show ---.

Thanks Lee I did see that in the manual. I'm not getting an alert from the system, it would be nice to know how the display senor works vs. a low oil senor (I'm assuming there are one each). When riding I'll review the menu sometimes on the same ride the display shows OK other times --- . This would indicate I may need a new senor but I don't like to just have parts traded out unless needed, I've seen new problems arise too often.

Jay

If it is too hard to adjust, something needs changing, I would think. That might make it possible to do it correctly. Sounds like it is not now correct. Fix it while still under warranty.You should not have a confusing display on a premium vehicle.

On page 41 of the US Manual it says that if: "CHECK!" appears in the display, then the rider should "Check oil level during next refueling stop." Alternative is : "OK"(self-explanatory) or "---" which means that conditions for checking the oil level are not right (at operating temp., engine idling for ten seconds, side-stand retracted, and motorcycle is vertical). I think the sight glass is the only reliable indicator, really. That said, I wonder what the side stand position has to do with oil level?

Duer - It seems you have a 2009 RT (K26 in the BMW world). The indications are different for your model than those discussed in the "Wethead" forum, which is for the liquid-cooled models of the RT, the GS and the GS/A. I had a 2008 RT and the check mark was in fact an indication that the oil level was OK. Whenever you see an exclamation point (!) enclosed by carets (<>) appearing on your display, then this indicates that you should check your oil level in the sight-glass on your bike. The check mark is what you'd want to see. I think the exclamation point may indicate other things too, but don't recall now. The most serious indications of problems are the bright yellow triangle (with the exclamation point in the middle) and the bright red triangle with the same explanation point. These are not good (I know, I've seen both) and immediate action is necessary. When you see it don't disregard it, but attend to it quickly.

Since you have a 2009 RT you should be reading the "Hexhead" forum. Your manual should explain to you the various indications of problems appearing on the bike and the indications which will be displayed to you some of which I've noted above.

I hope this was helpful.:wave

Last edited:
It implies to the electronics system monitoring devices that the bike might be leaned over parked on the side stand.

Well, I decided to test this whole thing today. I rolled the bike out, started it up and took a photo of the instrument display when the engine had just started, and when it was cold. Here's photo #1:

DSC_1676.jpg

I rode it for a few miles, and by then the "OK" on the oil display had appeared...photo #2:

IMG_2123.jpg

The "OK" stayed on for the rest of the ride, and after 30 more miles, I went home, and while the engine was running, and the bike was vertical, I extended the side stand. The OK stayed on and nothing changed. I guess I'm missing something here or that maybe a retracted side stand is not a requirement?

FWIW, I put the bike on the center stand and checked the sight glass after ten minutes had passed since I stopped the engine. The oil level shown in the glass was about 1/8" below the top of the circle, meaning, I guess that it has used some oil, but was still "OK."

Enough about oil...:thumb

When using the oil sight window on the center stand, having the oil level any where with in the inner circle is fine.

It is designed so when the oil level is at the lower edge of the circle adding qt/ltr will bring the level to the top of the circle.

Using the sight window is always better.

Back