• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spark plugs (again) - Dual Spark R1100s

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Attention gurus:

I believe the Autolite 3923 is the replacement plug of choice for the dual-electrode plug on the R1100S. Which plug do I need in the lower position?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

It's touted as a replacement on the single-spark versions.

Are you sure the twin sparklers use the same main plug?

In any event, the autolite is suggested as a surging fix--dual plugs is the surging fix on those models.

Hmm, I thought the 1100's used the 3922 (single spark), one range hotter ... can't speak for the dual-plugged 1100's.
For my 1150's lower plug, I use the NGK DCPR6E (part # 3481), or the iridium version DCPR6-EIX (part # 8196).
The S has a hotter intake cam and higher compression, so this may not be valid for you.
The NGK site only calls out the BKR7EKC-N (p/n 2095) for the 1100S, no 2nd spark callout there, and this cross-references back to the 3923 on the Autolite site.
Useless?

Thanks guys. The bike runs fine, I'm just looking for a cheaper replacement plug.

I appreciate the input. :thumb

"The cheapest part of any vehicle is the nut that holds the wheel."

Per the MAX fiche: Bosch plug number YR6LDE... Just cross-reference that to the other manufacturers.
Autolite calls out the their 4164 as the replacement.

For the lower plug the stock heat range wasn't hot enough for me so I went with a DCPR6E, others have used a DCPR6EIX. Stock lower plug is DCPR8EKC.

For the center plug the Bosch YR6LDE works fine.

I just spent $14.00 (CDN, including tax :dance) for 2 - Autolite 3923 and 2 - Autolite 4164 which are the replacements for NGK BKR7EKC-N and the Bosch YR6LDE, respectively.

If I run into issues, I will report back.

The Autolite 4164, if memory serves me correctly, needs an 11/16" socket, that had to be ground thin for the 3/4" near the cylinder head.

I've never used the 4164; but I agree that the NGK "6" heat range gives me a better-lookin' plug than than the "8".

Back