• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opaque oil window

sloane

I just acquired a 2004 r1150gs with 83k on it. Love it, but cannot check the oil level because the window is opaque. Anyone run into this problem? Suggestions for remedying? Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Seems I've read about this lately...you might look at some older threads in this forum. The thread cutoff might be the last month, but if you go to the bottom left, you should be able to extend that to a point further back in time.

I used the google search feature and the top and entered this:

site:bmwmoa.org "opaque sight glass"

I got some hits...you might want to read through those and see if that helps any.

Other search techniques are listed here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77843-Tips-on-Searching-the-MOA-Forum

Good luck!

Past the time to replace! It is very brittle at this point.

A 3 on the difficulty scale if you feel like tackling it.

BTW...welcome to the Forum:wave

Easy at one level, but must be done with care to avoid breaking the replacement sight glass window during installation.

Don't want to, will not start an oil string but,

I used a particular brand of synthetic oil in my Oilhead and my Brick/Bricklet and it stained the sightglass to black in one season. We used the same oil in my buddies Oilhead and another Bricklet and found myself replacing all the sightglasses.

Easy way to change the sightglass, read it here somewhere, it is a 1 on the difficulty list, use a soldering iron, melt the plastic right through, use a cotter pin puller and it pops right out.

Thanks so much, that is helpful

QUOTE=20774;1013200]Welcome to the forum! Seems I've read about this lately...you might look at some older threads in this forum. The thread cutoff might be the last month, but if you go to the bottom left, you should be able to extend that to a point further back in time.

I used the google search feature and the top and entered this:

site:bmwmoa.org "opaque sight glass"

I got some hits...you might want to read through those and see if that helps any.

Other search techniques are listed here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77843-Tips-on-Searching-the-MOA-Forum

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Part is cheap

And repair is easy. Look on Youtube and you will probably find it there. Research it now and do it next oil change.
Best,
3hawks

I used a particular brand of synthetic oil in my Oilhead and my Brick/Bricklet and it stained the sightglass to black in one season

What was the brand? I have used Castrol synthetic for the last three oil changes and now cannot see through the sight glass. Is it only Castrol synthetic that does this or is it synthetic in general?

Back