• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So, I rode the new RS today.....

I have read where people replaced the ESA with Online and Weber non ESA shocks and there was no problems with a triangle showing on the dash.
A fault code will show when connected to the shop computer or gs911, but that's not a big deal, just ignore the fault code.

Thanks for this, Lee. I've given some thought to getting an RS or XR, but if I had one I think that I might find myself worrying about the electronic / hydraulic dampers.

Last edited:
Just to be clear for anyone who is not familiar with all this stuff, the modes that BMW Triumphant is speaking of are NOT part of ESA. They are a separate item on the options list. How BMW offers/packages the modes seems to change from year to year, so one year they might be in a package called X and another year one called Y. Typically, the standard bike comes with one or more modes, then additional ones are offered in abn options package. The modes alter engine, stability control, and abs behavior. I have the full set of modes on my GS and like the flexibility that they provide. Some (all?) of the modes do also employ ESA - for example "enduro pro" mode also sets the ESA to "soft".

ESA is only about suspension. ESA offers soft, normal, and hard settings for the damping, and offers preload adjustment for solo, solo with luggage, and 2-up. ESA does not interact with ASC or ABS, meaning that setting the ESA does not cause any changes in ASC or ABS.

Gosh, I do hate it when folks publish wrong info and would not want to do that myself. I did say at the the beginning of my post that I was talking about my RT and I do believe my post is accurate for the 2015 RT.

From my manual: " The interplay of engine torque, throttle response, ABS control, and ASC control is optimised for each of these scenarios [Rain, Normal, Dyna].

On my RT, Rain defaults to Soft, and so on. I don't think I I claimed other models are the exact same as the RT, but on the RT a mode does invoke ESA and as far as I know, you get to ESA choices via the mode choice.

Is this different on the GS?

On my RT, Rain defaults to Soft, and so on. I don't think I I claimed other models are the exact same as the RT, but on the RT a mode does invoke ESA and as far as I know, you get to ESA choices via the mode choice.

It's the same on a GS, the only difference being there are "enduro" and "enduro pro" modes available, the second with a plug hooked up.

Harry

Last edited:
Gosh, I do hate it when folks publish wrong info and would not want to do that myself. I did say at the the beginning of my post that I was talking about my RT and I do believe my post is accurate for the 2015 RT.

From my manual: " The interplay of engine torque, throttle response, ABS control, and ASC control is optimised for each of these scenarios [Rain, Normal, Dyna].

My post was not meant as criticism; I only wanted to clarify what was what for the person who might buy one.

Yes, your manual says that, and it is correct, but the distinction I was trying to point out was that ESA is NOT the same thing as the modes. ESA is ONLY the suspension. ESA only controls the damping and the preload. ESA does NOT control any engine or ASC or ABS functionality.

On the other hand, if you have the modes and you have ESA, the modes do reach in and alter some of the ESA settings to be what BMW considers to be the ideal combination. Select a specific mode, and the engine, ASC, ABS, and ESA will be adjusted to the parameters for that mode. However, it does not go the other direction - in other words ESA never reaches into the modes, so therefore, making an ESA setting change never causes a mode change.

Hope that gets my point across. Sorry for being so verbose.

On the other hand, if you have the modes and you have ESA, the modes do reach in and alter some of the ESA settings to be what BMW considers to be the ideal combination. Select a specific mode, and the engine, ASC, ABS, and ESA will be adjusted to the parameters for that mode. .

Do you need to have the Dynamic ESA option before the engine modes communicate with the ESA?
Do you also need the Ride Mode Pro option?

Beginning with the wetheads, Dynamic ESA is the only ESA available. So, yes, you need D-ESA if you want the ride modes to affect the suspension.

I have not found a similar options list for the RS or the 2016 RT, but this link provides the individual options and packages for the 2015 RT. Note that Ride Modes Pro did not require ESA. But don't expect find one configured like that on your dealer's floor unless you ordered it and it is awaiting pickup.

in other words ESA never reaches into the modes, so therefore, making an ESA setting change never causes a mode change.

Hope that gets my point across. Sorry for being so verbose.

I now do see your point. To make it perfectly clear, on the RT, the mode is set by a right hand button marked Mode. To adjust ESA, there is a left hand button marked Menu that allows scrolling to a screen allowing selection of Soft, Normal, Hard. So, the two are indeed separate.

I suppose one could order a bike with none, one, or both. Mine came with both. Since it came with modes, it must always be in one of them, Rain, Road, or Dyna. From there, one can adjust ESA. If you change a mode, the new mode will have a default ESA applied, Rain/Soft, Road/Normal, and Dyna/Hard.

In normal riding, my menu is often showing the ESA settings. So, if I change modes, I almost always follow with an ESA setting. After a short time, this becomes rather intuitive, to the point I forgot about the left hand Menu button operation. Just becomes automatic.

On my 2011 RT, there were no modes and the ESA settings did not seem to do very much, frankly. The 2015 really feels different in every setting. Much more effective.

I now do see your point. To make it perfectly clear, on the RT, the mode is set by a right hand button marked Mode. To adjust ESA, there is a left hand button marked Menu that allows scrolling to a screen allowing selection of Soft, Normal, Hard. So, the two are indeed separate.

I suppose one could order a bike with none, one, or both. Mine came with both. Since it came with modes, it must always be in one of them, Rain, Road, or Dyna. From there, one can adjust ESA. If you change a mode, the new mode will have a default ESA applied, Rain/Soft, Road/Normal, and Dyna/Hard.

In normal riding, my menu is often showing the ESA settings. So, if I change modes, I almost always follow with an ESA setting. After a short time, this becomes rather intuitive, to the point I forgot about the left hand Menu button operation. Just becomes automatic.

On my 2011 RT, there were no modes and the ESA settings did not seem to do very much, frankly. The 2015 really feels different in every setting. Much more effective.

I don't have an RT manual handy, but on my GS (and I believe this to be the same on the RT), the ESA allows for adjustment of damping on the fly, meaning you can change while you're riding. I love this because if I get to a rough stretch of road, I can put it into "soft" and glide over the pavement imperfections more comfortably.

The second thing that the ESA button allows you to do cannot be done on the fly, it can only be done while the bike is stationary. At a stop, with motor running (but might work with motor off, not sure) press and hold the ESA button for a few seconds and it give you 3 icons to select from: a single helmet (riding solo), a helmet with luggage (solo with luggage), and 2 helmets (riding with passenger, assumes luggage, I think). A quick tap of the ESA button moves you on to the next one. Leave the ESA button untouched for a few seconds and it selects whichever icon was displayed when you stopped cycling through the 3 icons. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that you can even get the system to display these choices unless you are stationary.

On my GS, I tend to leave it in Road mode with the suspension on soft. If I am engaged in spirited pavement riding, I may change the damping to normal or firm unless the road is bad.

On my GS, I tend to leave it in Road mode with the suspension on soft. If I am engaged in spirited pavement riding, I may change the damping to normal or firm unless the road is bad.

Are you changing the damping or the pre-load? I'm guessing preload, but could be wrong.

In any case, I could change my rear pre-load, on the fly, on my 99R11RS by turning a knob. Seemed to work pretty well. The non-ESA has a manually adjustable rear shock, or so I've heard.

...On my GS, I tend to leave it in Road mode with the suspension on soft. If I am engaged in spirited pavement riding, I may change the damping to normal or firm unless the road is bad.

Are you changing the damping or the pre-load? I'm guessing preload, but could be wrong.

In any case, I could change my rear pre-load, on the fly, on my 99R11RS by turning a knob. Seemed to work pretty well. The non-ESA has a manually adjustable rear shock, or so I've heard.

Damping. I can change damping on the fly with the push of a button. I already have the preload set before I start my ride, to set the bike up for the load it is carrying. I have a lot of rough New England roads around me that I ride on, so the damping is often set to soft, to help absorb the bumps. To elaborate on what I said before, If I am riding in a spirited (read: fast-ish) manner, the soft damping may allow for more suspension motion that I would prefer at speed, so I will change the damping to one of the firmer settings.

This is somewhat oversimplified, but you adjust your preload to handle the weight that the bike is carrying. You adjust the damping to cause the suspension to react to the road as you desire.

Damping. I can change damping on the fly with the push of a button. I already have the preload set before I start my ride, to set the bike up for the load it is carrying. I have a lot of rough New England roads around me that I ride on, so the damping is often set to soft, to help absorb the bumps. To elaborate on what I said before, If I am riding in a spirited (read: fast-ish) manner, the soft damping may allow for more suspension motion that I would prefer at speed, so I will change the damping to one of the firmer settings.

This is somewhat oversimplified, but you adjust your preload to handle the weight that the bike is carrying. You adjust the damping to cause the suspension to react to the road as you desire.

I ride with the same set up as Emoto on the RT. Easy to adjust damping on the fly. When changed the RT damping to Firm it will also change the mode to Dynamic at the same time, I change that back to Road just close the throttle for a moment once selected.

Jay

I ride with the same set up as Emoto on the RT. Easy to adjust damping on the fly. When changed the RT damping to Firm it will also change the mode to Dynamic at the same time, I change that back to Road just close the throttle for a moment once selected.

Jay

Wow! So, on your RT, a change to the ESA setting causes the Mode to change? :eek :jawdrop

If that is true (and I have no reason to doubt you) then that behavior may well also be present in the RS. It would also make my explanation of how ESA and Modes interact incorrect. Apologies, if so!

I will try to research this interaction. I wonder if it is the same for the newer than 2013 GSes.

Really? I'm doubtful.

Jay

Jay, when I change the mode to Dyna, I get damping set to Hard. Similarly, Road/Normal, Rain/Soft. I think maybe you got it reversed. Can't verify that until Spring, but what I recall also matches the manual.

Have the manual right beside me, needed for this thread. But good time of year to read it again. There's good stuff therein, but one has to read most paragraphs more than once... .

Jay, when I change the mode to Dyna, I get damping set to Hard. Similarly, Road/Normal, Rain/Soft. I think maybe you got it reversed. Can't verify that until Spring, but what I recall also matches the manual.

Have the manual right beside me, needed for this thread. But good time of year to read it again. There's good stuff therein, but one has to read most paragraphs more than once... .

Ed - I have the same observation when riding my 2015 RT. E.G. changing to "DYNA" changes the damping to "Hard," as per your example. The preload can't be changed while moving, as far as I can tell. When making a mode change while moving, the display window on the left will show the upcoming change while also displaying the present mode on the right. It won't change until the clutch is pulled slightly. Perhaps a change in the throttle position will effect the change but I haven't observed that, or maybe don't really remember.

Once in the new mode, the damping can be changed from the BMW-programmed damping...say from "Hard" to "Normal," if you'd want to do that.

It is true you need the menu for heated grips and seat but there is a favorite setting which i set for heated grips. So you hit the button, and it goes right to heated grips, rotate the wheel, each click is one setting, hit the button again and you're at the heated seat, rotate wheel. Easy to do without ever taking your eyes off the road or hands off the grips.

It ain't the same on the RS. Just hit the heated grip button on the right bar and the icon comes up on the dash. Button again for low heat. Couldn't be simpler.

4 clicks of the menu button for heated grips, one more to get to the seat (no NAV on line), rotate the wheel 1-5 clicks to preferred level (3 of which are actually tolerable temperatures...), thumb wheel left to return to speedo, never looked down doing it. On the RT I believe you will need to add one click to the above if you have the NAV V installed, it's the 4th click.
Or, even easier, make the grip menu your "favorite" and it's one click of the menu button away, one more for the seat.
If you were provided a more comprehensive, professional demonstration of how the menus work, I'm pretty sure you might find it quite intelligent progress - not a deal killer. I can use almost all of the 'rolling' functionality of the menus with no more than a quick glance, if at all, to confirm what I've done. I'm a huge eyes up, safety geek... wouldn't have a GPS until I had the option to use it audibly, eyes up. The menu designs on the RT are quite good, and every bit as safe as the user choses them to be IMO.

Wow, glad I got a RS instead of a RT.

Back