Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: So, I rode the new RS today.....

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Only thing I use the wonder wheel for on my RT is changing radio stations or volume. Everything else requires viewing the screen and that's not happening when riding.

    I hear new RT requires menu manipulation to turn on/off heated handgrips--a deal killer for me. Having to search the computer screen for a nearly invisible icon to tell whether on or off is bad enough. It isn't all intelligent progress.
    The icon for the grips and seat are next to the tach. Very easy to see on or off. You do have to scroll to the settings but the menu is large and very easy to do riding.
    Last edited by bdfbeemer; 12-17-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

    I hear new RT requires menu manipulation to turn on/off heated handgrips--a deal killer for me.
    A co worker of mine had added heat grips to his bike. One day he asked me how I used the heated grips on my bike. I looked at him and said. When my hands start to freeze I turn on the heat. When my hands catch on fire I shut the heat off. Who needs an icon to tell them the grips are heating up?

  3. #63
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by romany View Post
    A co worker of mine had added heat grips to his bike. One day he asked me how I used the heated grips on my bike. I looked at him and said. When my hands start to freeze I turn on the heat. When my hands catch on fire I shut the heat off. Who needs an icon to tell them the grips are heating up?
    A Thermostat and toggle switch seem to adequately address the necessary functionality. An idiot light can be added for those folks that can't see the toggle switch.

    Just my opinion.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  4. #64
    wanderer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bridport Vermont
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    A Thermostat and toggle switch seem to adequately address the necessary functionality. An idiot light can be added for those folks that can't see the toggle switch.

    Just my opinion.
    Sorry but I believe the new BMWs (and most cars) operate all the stuff via CAN buss....yep new technology!!


    The only way you do it with a toggle switch and idiot light(your term) is to completely wire it separately from the battery.

  5. #65
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I'm not sure what the shift assist was supposed to do for me and the hill holding clutch/brake only serves to make you look like a fool at inconvenient times.

    There's a speedometer and a data display showing a lot of nothing. I couldn't find the odometer and the tachometer sideways bar chart with the obscure placement of a numerical value was baffling. Oil and coolant temp would have been nice to see.

    Switching between ride and suspension modes didn't seem to change anything, but then again, I was more involved with driving than fiddling with the playstation controller. I may have just run thru some menus and never changed anything. One or two toggle switches would have handled the job in a fairly direct manner. As is, I was fiddling with a video screen display while driving. I probably could have sent a text or two while I was at it.

    What the heck is that spinning wheel thing on the inboard side of the left handle bar grip?

    The handlebar switches are all nice, small and quite stylish. That's just what I want in motorcycle switch gear that I will operate wearing gloves. Returning to a small turn signal toggle switch is wonderfully retro in style and functionality.

    In short, the wethead RS engine and seat/handlebar ergonomics are winners in my book. The switch gear and "data cluster" are a disappointment. The ride modes, ESA, shift assist and hill holder clutch / brake aren't intuitively functional to me.

    But, I'm glad I had a chance to take the demo ride.....
    Sounds like you had a completely incompetent salesperson.

    Hill Start is not available on the RS.

    There are several display configuration options to chose from, it's unfortunate you were not shown that - it's quite rich overall.

    The wheel gives you control of the GPS while keeping your hands in primary control position, which also minimizes the amount of time you need to drop your eyes to the GPS to operate it... again, quite unfortunate that wasn't properly demonstrated to you, it's a well thought out feature.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

  6. #66
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Sounds like you had a completely incompetent salesperson.

    Hill Start is not available on the RS.

    There are several display configuration options to chose from, it's unfortunate you were not shown that - it's quite rich overall.

    The wheel gives you control of the GPS while keeping your hands in primary control position, which also minimizes the amount of time you need to drop your eyes to the GPS to operate it... again, quite unfortunate that wasn't properly demonstrated to you, it's a well thought out feature.
    The guy might have been incompetent, but he did suggest that I take a ride on the bike while I waited for a delayed service appointment. Truth be told, he made me think a whole lot better of the dealership.

    So, even if the bike didn't have the hill start feature, isn't it interesting that a rider with 40+ yrs of riding experience found the clutch-throttle reaction to be touchy?

    Relative to the display. I don't need to be fiddle-futsing with toys, my phone or the X-Box when I ride. Strange, I know. But, that's just how I am....
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •