Thread: 07 GSA - Maintenance Questions

07 GSA - Maintenance Questions

I am the original owner of a 2007 GS Adventure that now has 64k miles; practically all on pavement.

Except for the 600 mile check-in, I have performed all my own routine maintenance.

I use BMW for things that are too complicated and for recalls (I'm on fuel strip #6 ).

Are there any maintenance items I should address or be on the lookout for based on the age of the bike and mileage?

I'm interested to hear what others have experienced as their R1200 gets closer to 100k.

Owner of a'09 GSA here nearing 120K.

Of the few folks I have met who keep a Hexhead this long I'll chime in.

Texpaul has my former 05 GS with way more than 100K...he's playing in Ireland right now or he could add some value here.

I replaced the clutch slave and pushrod about 70K because it started clicking annoyingly with clutch released...have replaced a few others for friends on other models as well with higher mileage. It is like the ticking the 1100's had with throttle body shafts, but not affecting performance.

Had a driveshaft u-joint starting to sieze about same mileage...could feel it index every 90 during routine servicing before a trip. Other members have also had a driveshaft give up in posts here. I was lucky and caught mine prior to failure.We found a low mileage used one on the 'net and made our trip a few days later.

On fuel strip 2 and just sprouted a leak on the right side tank QC bung fitting...my procrastination thread.

Wife rides a 07 R12R w/100K. Only major was a leaking FD and big bearing failing causing it. There is no timeline on this type failure...it is random and we don't lose sleep thinking about it. A few weepy fork seals is about it.

Your stock shocks are done, but you get used to the fall off and it may not bother you...a worthwhile upgrade way up on our lists.
    Overall sturdy platform that has served us well...Even with new model ridicule we get weekly from our friends with a yearly change out ...and you know who you are
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

If you haven't replaced your stock suspension yet, its worth considering. Might be the biggest improvement you can make for the ride. Ted Porter is great at getting you what you need. He ended up putting together front and rear Yacugar units for my 07 GSA. They cover my riding range from solo with bags off to loaded two up travel. In all conditions they are a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Owner of a'09 GSA here nearing 120K.

I replaced the clutch slave and pushrod about 70K because it started clicking annoyingly with clutch released...have replaced a few others for friends on other models as well with higher mileage. It is like the ticking the 1100's had with throttle body shafts, but not affecting performance.
    Steve, how hard a job was the slave and pushrod? I'm getting tired of the rattle myself. I'm only at 56k on my 09. Shop already confirmed what it is, so it is just an annoyance right now.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
    Steve, how hard a job was the slave and pushrod? I'm getting tired of the rattle myself. I'm only at 56k on my 09. Shop already confirmed what it is, so it is just an annoyance right now.
    Compared to the 1100/1150 a very easy task. Only need to remove rear wheel. Bleeding new slave was easy as well, need a bit of mineral oil if any at all.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown