• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS Pro and the 2016 R1200GS

roofus

I recently ordered a 2016 R1200GS for delivery in March 2016.

I want to get the ABS Pro Brakes.

Both the dealer and I were unsure if this feature will be available, or if it is standard or an option. The BMW site is not clear . . it also mentions that some new features for 2016 are only available in Europe (I am in Canada)

The dealer is following this up with BMW, but in the meantime does anyone have any more definitive information on availability?

I understand that Canada gets European spec bikes. for example, my 2015 RT has tire pressures in bar, not psi. I have never seen a gas station tire compressor with a bar readout in Canada. I am having my dealer see if this can be changed, and have suggested all new buyers get asked what they prefer.

I understand that Canada gets European spec bikes. for example, my 2015 RT has tire pressures in bar, not psi. I have never seen a gas station tire compressor with a bar readout in Canada. I am having my dealer see if this can be changed, and have suggested all new buyers get asked what they prefer.

Buy a gauge, do a conversion. Easier than getting BMW to change.

I recently ordered a 2016 R1200GS for delivery in March 2016.

I want to get the ABS Pro Brakes.

Both the dealer and I were unsure if this feature will be available, or if it is standard or an option. The BMW site is not clear . . it also mentions that some new features for 2016 are only available in Europe (I am in Canada)

The dealer is following this up with BMW, but in the meantime does anyone have any more definitive information on availability?

This is taken directly from the BMW Motorrad website (URL: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...lId=6&id=T0224489EN&left_menu_item=node__6629). One thing which does not seem to be slated for the US is the "Dynamic Brake Light." FWIW, I saw a 2015 R1200RT at my dealer which was produced early in the 2015 production cycle which had "ABS Pro" installed. AFAIK, it was not an option for RTs and GSs in 2015. Anyway here's the direct quotation:

"BMW R 1200 GS.
As of model year 2016, the R 1200 GS will not just be available in new paint finishes. With a view to enhanced motorcycling safety, the range of special equipment features is extended to include the banking-optimised ABS Pro and the dynamic brake light (in conjunction with the Riding Modes Pro option).
An overview of the new features in the R 1200 GS:
ABS Pro and dynamic brake light as a special equipment feature
(dynamic brake light currently for EU markets only).
Light white non-metallic replaces the existing Alpine white 3 non-metallic.
The paint finish Black storm metallic will no longer be available.

BMW R 1200 GS TripleBlack (special model).
TripleBlack – the name says it all with this BMW R 1200 GS special model. BMW Motorrad is responding to a wish expressed by many customers by bringing out the world's top-selling motorcycle in a virtually all-black finish.
The central fuel tank cover, fuel tank side panels and front mudguard in Black storm metallic together with black anodised fork slider tubes give the legendary travel enduro a strikingly masculine touch. Powerful technical accentuations are provided by the front and rear frame in Agate Grey in combination with the engine, gearbox and swinging arm.
The special model is fitted with the cross-spoke wheels with black gloss rim base familiar from the R 1200 GS Adventure, previously available as a special equipment feature.
A new black-grey seat with striking "GS" application on passenger seat rounds off the strong appearance of the new R 1200 GS TripleBlack.

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.
As of model year 2016, the R 1200 GS Adventure will not just be available in new paint finishes. With a view to enhanced motorcycling safety, its range of special equipment features is extended to include the banking-optimised ABS Pro and the dynamic brake light (in conjunction with the Riding Modes Pro option).
An overview of the new features of the R 1200 GS Adventure:
ABS Pro and dynamic brake light as a special equipment feature
(dynamic brake light currently for EU markets only).
New paint Racing red non-metallic matt and Ocean blue metallic matt.
Light white non-metallic replaces the existing paint finish Alpine white 3 non-metallic.
The paint finishes Olive non-metallic matt and Racing blue metallic matt are no longer available."

Is this "Hijacking a thread?"

You were looking at the same info my dealer and I were looking at.

It's pretty ambiguous!

I agree about the ambiguity, but then again, it was a press release or something similar.

I surmise that ABS Pro will be retrofittable as was Shift Assistant Pro. It'll be harder to do because they'll have to put the inclinometer piece of hardware onto the bike somewhere, but the rest must be software/firmware, I'd think. Apple has put an inclinometer into the iPhone so how big need it be? I'd like to have it on my 2015 RT, but Berlin moves slowly sometimes.

Some very thin skinned people on this thread. Learn to embrace the high jack or stock-up on the anti-acid. :love

And now back to the question...

Yes, it's a standard feature on 2016 R12GS/GSA.

Last edited:
Back