• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lifting bike-2011 RT

fordtech50

I have a good motorcyle jack but There is no frame on the RT to use it to lift bike. Is it possible to remove rear wheel with bike on centerstand? What about the front? Is it ok to use a floor jack with a block of wood and lift bike under engine case or is that not recommended? Seems like if you did it would be tough to balance bike. Is the only option a bike lift with the front and rear sections that drop out like at the dealer?

Lifting R1200RT

I have removed the rear wheel several times using the centre stand. Putting a car jack, protected with a piece of wood can raise the front wheel, once the rear is off. You don't want to crank it up too high and overbalance toward the rear. Perhaps place some blocks of wood under the swing arm when the rear is off to help with that.

I removed both suspension struts using this approach. Take care that brake lines are not overstretched.

I've changed quite a few tires on R1200RTs. I put the bike on a lift, but using a lift is not required. The bike is naturally weighted towards the front when on the center stand. I place a scissors jack under the catalytic converter and raise the jack, with wood on top, just until the jack makes contact with the cat. There is little or no force being exerted by the jack, but it will stop the bike from tilting backwards on the center stand should someone pull on it. I also run a tie down strap from the center stand to the front tire to prevent the stand from retracting. On the lift there is also a wheel clamp for the front wheel and when that is tightened it is adequate to stop the bike from rocking back, but I use the jack as an additional safety measure. I believe just using the jack and securing the center stand would be sufficient.

When doing the front wheel I loosen the wheel clamp and pull down on the rear of the bike until the rear wheel is on the lift surface and then use tie down straps to hold the rear down. I also place the scissors jack under the oil pan, again with a piece of wood in place to protect the bike. It requires very little force to rock the bike back on the rear tire, and again the jack is just there as additional protection.

Both these techniques could be done without the use of a lift.

Not a RT but I have changed a lot of tires on K bikes using the center stand and scissor jack with a piece of wood under the engine to change both tires.
I now use a front wheel stand along with the center stand when changing tires.

This picture shows a Moto Stance front stand I bought on sale for $55.
A popular and well made stand is Pit Bull.

Tires2.JPG

On our bikes I need to remove the rear wheel first before using the front stand, unless I place a piece of plywood under the center stand as you can see in this picture.
Front_Stand.jpg

Back