Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ran into a nasty issue with the cylinder head mounting stud

All Eight

[QUOTE=a41capt;1012327]As the title of the reply says, stay clear of the Helicoil product for this repair.

The correct product to use is called a time sert:

http://www.timesert.com

It is the preferred replacement because it is not a wire coil, but a solid tube threaded to fit your application. Helicoils pull out in most of these uses and you will end up tearing down again and replacing it with a time sert anyway. Spend the couple extra bucks and buy the insert kit for your job. It'll never pull loose or separate and will be worth the dough in the long run.

Just did one myself on a stripped cylinder stud that some ham-fisted BMW dealer "technician" stripped at the 600 mile service on my R1200GSA...[/QUOTE

I ended up putting TimeCerts in all 8 of my cylinders’ studs. AVOID Helicoils.
    Roger Wiles
    roger@rogerwiles.com
    www.rogerwiles.com
    706.897.8266 24/7 Wireless

Stud fixed with Heli-Coil

I just fixed a stud with a Heli-Coil. Turned out well and feels very strong. No issues after 300 mls of driving. I added some details on my website (below) under "Technical".

I rented a drill rig, I am glad I did. I am sure it can be done without if you are trained, but I didn't want to take that risk.
    Olaf - Austin, TX MOA #200565
    Current bikes: 2012 R1200R Classic, 1973 R75/5 www.R75slash5.com, 1969 CT 70 (108 cc engine)

Tread repair

Reply to post #31
    Are you saying that on a new bike durning a 600 mile service a stud was stripped out and you fixed it !
    Why would you not demand a new bike from the dealer or a new head and a extended warranty, are you going to give full disclosure to a new buyer when you sell the bike? Did you except a insurance settlement and repurchase bike with a salvage title? I don't know all the details but it sounds f****d up

Heli-coil vs Time-Sert? It is much much more important with either system to maintain the original thread axis alignment. In my experience w industrial fatigue applications an original thread is not as strong as a Heli-coiled thread, but if the the alignment is off just a little bit, there will be a progressive thread strip out and neither system can be strong.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

One downside of a Time-Sert is that you have to drill a bigger hole than with a Helicoil. Sometimes there is not enough metal.

Quote Originally Posted by swall View Post
    One downside of a Time-Sert is that you have to drill a bigger hole than with a Helicoil. Sometimes there is not enough metal.
    Yep! I didn't dare bring that up!
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6