• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Forum Pet Peeves

R

REBECCAV

Inspired by recent posts in other threads, allow me to present the Forum Pet Peeves Thread! I define a pet peeve as something that bugs me disproportionately to what is actually being done. HereÔÇÖs my list. I am not trying to pick on anyone, these are just my own irrational dislikes -

3. People who post the same thread in different areas of the Forum. I donÔÇÖt understand that.

2. People who use vague thread titles so that I have to open the dang thing (or scroll over the title :wave) to figure out what the heck is being discussed.

1. People who change their avatars. I know that it's gotta be done sometimes but I come to associate a user with their avatar - I'm a visual person - and it is very discombobulating to me when someone changes.... :)

Last edited:
1. Saying you have xx miles "on the clock" instead of "on the bike" or "on the odometer"

2. "Panniers" versus "System Cases"

3. "Bobbins" versus "Sliders"

boxergrrlie said:
2. People who use vague thread titles so that I have to open the dang thing and read to figure out what the heck is being discussed.
Here's a hint: if you rest your mouse cursor over the the thread title, a tool-tip box comes up and shows the first few lines of the first post, so you can get a quick idea of what's inside.

DarrylRi said:
Here's a hint: if you rest your mouse cursor over the the thread title, a tool-tip box comes up and shows the first few lines of the first post, so you can get a quick idea of what's inside.
I know, I know. It's totally irrational but it still bugs me...

DarrylRi said:

Great solution Darryl, and practical too. Who needs the irritation?
Now boxxergrl, repeat after me....breathe in the good air...breathe out the bad air.
:laugh

Breeze :bolt

boxergrrlie said:
I know, I know. It's totally irrational but it still bugs me...
Oh, in that case, I find it (mildly) annoying, too. But what's worse is when a thread wanders away from the title. Then this trick doesn't help. (Like the Profiles thread that's currently running... err, going... uhmmm.)

What really bothers me is the misspellings and wrong homonyms (their, they're, there; your, you're), and especially things like "I could care less", which seems to me to show lazy thinking. (Sorry if you say that, but that's what I think right away.)

Must be from years of writing code; the compiler will not figure out what I mean if I'm merely close.

DarrylRi said:
Oh, in that case, I find it (mildly) annoying, too. But what's worse is when a thread wanders away from the title. Then this trick doesn't help. (Like the Profiles thread that's currently running... err, going... uhmmm.)

What really bothers me is the misspellings and wrong homonyms (their, they're, there; your, you're), and especially things like "I could care less", which seems to me to show lazy thinking. (Sorry if you say that, but that's what I think right away.)

Must be from years of writing code; the compiler will not figure out what I mean if I'm merely close.

Hahaha...then I must be your arch enemy...I enjoy doing both...hijacking a thread is the beauty of forum sites. Not everyone thinks in the same, so associating the related questions in an existing thread might help other folks out (a form of human data mining :)) As for homonyms...I blame spell check and my public school/college edumaction. Not sure what compiler you are still smashing code on, but most modern folk use a IDE with goodies like intellisense to perpetuate laziness :)

and ANOTHER thing...

boxergrrlie said:
Inspired by recent posts in other threads, allow me to present the Forum Pet Peeves Thread! I define a pet peeve as something that bugs me disproportionately to what is actually being done. HereÔÇÖs my list. I am not trying to pick on anyone, these are just my own irrational dislikes -

3. People who post the same thread in different areas of the Forum. I donÔÇÖt understand that.

2. People who use vague thread titles so that I have to open the dang thing (or scroll over the title :wave) to figure out what the heck is being discussed.

1. People who change their avatars. I know that it's gotta be done sometimes but I come to associate a user with their avatar - I'm a visual person - and it is very discombobulating to me when someone changes.... :)

RV...

Are you fix'n to get Andy Rooney's job on 60 Minutes??? :)

boxergrrlie said:

Sorry, I'll stop - unless I buy a new K-bike.

BobFV1 said:
2. "Panniers" versus "System Cases"

I thought it made me sound european.

i'm with BG on this one. the ill-named thread titles bugs the crap out of me, especially when i try to do a search. i think one of the jobs of the mods should be to occasionally tweak a thread title to make it more descriptive or useful.

example: "Has this ever happened to you?!?!?!?" could be changed to, "Lost washers on oilhead gas tank."

or, "I'm so pissed!" could be changed to, "dealer issue: warranty dispute."

that kind of thing.

i dislike the bad spelling, lousy grammar, and lazy thinking, but i let some of it slide. the lazy thinking is what makes me pound the table and hit reply.

i also dislike how every thread becomes about politics or the media editor position. just because sandy cohen was an ardent bush supporter who also happened to have a poster of john kerry on the back of her bedroom door, doesnt mean we have to talk about it all the time. ;) i'd much prefer it if most of our threads were lorazepam and The Lady Who Types Like This insulting each other. those were fun. (sorry loraze...)

I was going to contribute an apology for changes to my timing is off  the threadisbeinghijacked into the blackhole of politics. Cant goon :wave

M1ka said:
I was going to contribute an apology for changes to my timing is off  the threadisbeinghijacked into the blackhole of politics. Cant goon :wave

i totally agree with you, the guy doesn't even ride a BMW for crying out loud!

:bolt

BubbaZanetti said:
i, for one, enjoy abstract thread titles.

You also post bio information in haiku form. Now, I, for one, admire that, but I'm known to be... what's that word? Oh yeah: wierd.

BubbaZanetti said:

I am with you...I believe all thread titles should be in yoda speak. Or...yoda titles you speak should all be in threads mmmmmm :nyah

BubbaZanetti said:

Oh yeah? Well I still think that Jackson Pollock threw paint at his canvasses. He just had a good agent. Dare I say it? I'm with user on this one. Specificity keeps the head clear.

Breeze

clearly no one needs to read this ****...

so a fix is available for all...

When you get to a word mispelled...move on

When you get to an idea you don't like move on...

And when you see an Avitar you don't recognize...move on...

Any other action is totally irrational and likely an indication of some other underling condition....hopefully treatable....by riding...

I would have made a crack about moveon.org but that would have turned this into a political thread and we donÔÇÖt want to go there. :stick

andy45320 said:
Hahaha...then I must be your arch enemy...
Nah. I don't have any arch enemies... that I know of.
As for homonyms...I blame spell check and my public school/college edumaction.
That's no excuse. I certainly didn't learn to spell from the LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District).
Not sure what compiler you are still smashing code on, but most modern folk use a IDE with goodies like intellisense to perpetuate laziness :)
Hey, I used to carve my ICs from wood, and wrote an entire database with just 1s. ;-) Even with an IDE, you have to spell the variable names right.

Back