• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Switched power source for Skene HID visibility lights on Slash 5

kentuvman

Hi Gang,

In process of installing Skene Photon Blasters on R60/5 - I do have a wiring schematic. My question is "which" switched wire is a safe bet for tying into the power switch when headlights are "ON"

On Skene's website, they suggest tying into the marker light, but IIRC this light only comes on when cricket switch is turned to left, used when headlights are "OFF" -

The Skene installation instructions say: "The Red wire from the control module is then connected to a switched, 12 volt source of power, typically a parking light. The Black wire is connected to any ground connection. The current draw of the Photon Blaster is only 0.35A (<5 watts), so the Control Module can be attached to almost any power source without fear of overloading. High quality PosiTap® insulation displacement connectors are provided for this purpose. There is no need for a power switch, as the Photon Blaster turns on with the ignition.

From what I know the current draw should not compromise my stock electrical system (that was the intention when seeking an aux. light system).

Also wondering if "safe' to tuck the waterproof controller inside the headlight bucket once installed - don't think there could be any heat issues but don't want to disturb the already crowded environment inside the headlight bucket.

Will post pictures once installed - the stock mounts that came with the kit won't work on the Slash 5 - I used flat aluminum to fabricate (2) mounts that attach on the (2) vertical fender brace mounts on each side of the front wheel.

Should be a cool add on once project is complete!

Installation Complete! Skene Photo Blaster on R60/5 !!!

Installation went very well!

Kinda sat on this project for a couple weeks to think it through . . .

I tapped the positive on Terminal 58, a yellow wire that powers low beam and another terminal wire for ground. Lashed up wires for a pre-flight and all went well. Zip tied excess wires to module and she tucked away nicely into the hornets nest. I was looking for a triangle effect to be more visible and not tax the under powered stock charging system. So far very pleased with the installation!

Attachments

• PB3.jpg
    PB3.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 42
  • PB2.jpg
    PB2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 42
  • PB1.jpg
    PB1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 42
Back