• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RTW Ordering options

slim

I'l be placing my order shortly and would like to know which options are a must and or not worth it.

PS. Located here in Northern Alberta Canada.

Thanks in advance.

To be perfectly honest if you can afford it I'd get every option. Mine is loaded and I use every option nearly every ride. Ones I love the most....central locking, top case, aux lights, esa, alarm and xm radio.

Bmarc is right, mine has every option except aux lighting and I love it. One of my favorite is the pro shift or whatever they call it and the keyless ride is amazing too. Our BMW car has the fob and we even have a Kevo at our house, thats how much I love being keyless! i wish my 2014 ridgeline had the keyfob thing too, my only complaint about the truck.

And don't discount hill hold. I love it. Not so much for hill starting but often at lights where there is a slight hill, no need to hold the brake or when in a parking spot on an incline, its nice to hill hold the bike, shut off the engine and then let the tranny hold the bike while putting the side stand down. Love that feature. Needed? Nope, useful? Yep!

To be perfectly honest if you can afford it I'd get every option. Mine is loaded and I use every option nearly every ride. Ones I love the most....central locking, top case, aux lights, esa, alarm and xm radio.

+1.

And +1 on the Hill Start option. I use most everything, most every day.

+1! on Hill Start. Also think about Shift Assistant Pro.

Maybe the ABS Pro will be available on the 2016 RT? This is the system which takes the worry out of braking hard while leaned over in a corner.

No one has said anything about he Shift Assist. I love it at time and other times no so much. Downshifting is my favorite. On my old RT I would preload the shifter, can't do that with shift assist, old habits...

Jay

Oh man the hill hold is amazing. I dont really use it for hills just for holding it at a stop light while in neutral on an incline. On a hill I feel like you really have to slip the clutch to get it to go the few times I have used it. Bouncing between 2 bikes and having the shift assist takes some getting used to to, I cant tell you how many times I have tried to down shift the PC800 with no clutch like the RT

Oh man the hill hold is amazing. I dont really use it for hills just for holding it at a stop light while in neutral on an incline. On a hill I feel like you really have to slip the clutch to get it to go the few times I have used it. Bouncing between 2 bikes and having the shift assist takes some getting used to to, I cant tell you how many times I have tried to down shift the PC800 with no clutch like the RT

I've engaged and disengaged the hill hold many times (as others have said, I use it when stopped in traffic on a slight hill). I've only tried to pull away with it engaged once and it immediately stalled.

The manual doesn't describe it very well, so I figured you had to disengage it before pulling away (which IMO makes it pretty useless for starting on a hill). Reading your reply, it sounds like I just didn't give it enough throttle/clutch slip.

Please confirm... will the hill hold automatically disengage if you launch correctly? If so, please describe.

Please confirm... will the hill hold automatically disengage if you launch correctly? If so, please describe.

The answer is yes. You will have to slip the clutch a lot to overcome the hold, however. On a slight incline when I have the hill hold activated, I usually squeeze the brake lever again to release, then drive off. On a significant incline, I slip the clutch a lot, overcome the hold and then don't roll backward. Also, the hill hold can be activated when the transmission is in neutral.

Seems like most dealers are getting the RTs fully loaded with the exception of aux. lights and top case. I agree with all the above in terms of glad to have it all. Of course I have added plenty since I bought mine and personalized it. I bought my top case off ebay (saved a ton) and if you go to the MOA rally, you can get lights, etc. discounted and installed if you want. I have done that and it is well worth it. Vendors like Ilium, Suburban, Clearwater, Wunderlich, etc..

Seems like most dealers are getting the RTs fully loaded with the exception of aux. lights and top case. I agree with all the above in terms of glad to have it all. Of course I have added plenty since I bought mine and personalized it. I bought my top case off ebay (saved a ton) and if you go to the MOA rally, you can get lights, etc. discounted and installed if you want. I have done that and it is well worth it. Vendors like Ilium, Suburban, Clearwater, Wunderlich, etc..

Hi, i'm the sales manager at Kissell Motorsports in State College, PA....we definitely try to spec out all of our RT's with at least the premium package and central locking. I can honestly say i've never had a customer come in and ask me to order a base RT with only one or two factory options. Keep in mind that upon resale or trade-in, the high spec RT's will always be much more desirable.

Options

I live in west texas (lots of straight roads) For me, one of my favorite options is the cruise control.

I think that you can't pick and choose various options. They are packaged into set levels if I remember correctly.

But- I do feel the alarm is a useful.

On my 2016, I opted for all the bells and whistles:

Packages:
Premium (Hill Start, Headlight Pro, Ride Modes Pro - amazing technology and very useful :thumb. Other things like cruise control and heated seat.)

Added Options:
Keyless Ride
Gear Shift Assist Pro - this is awesome! :dance
Central Locking
Anti-theft system

Anyway- if you navigate to the BMW Motorrad website, you can "build your own" RT and it will give you an idea of what is available in which packages.

BTW- make sure to throw in the Nav VI GPS unit. Hey- what the heck!

Cheers!

I think that you can't pick and choose various options. They are packaged into set levels if I remember correctly.

Unless BMW changed their policy in the past year or so, you can work with your dealer to order individual options. You will have to wait 6-10 weeks for the bike to be built and shipped. BMW no longer has the individual option pricing on their website, but in the past, the "package" price was about the same as the total of individual options. Showroom bikes are ordered by the dealer with the packages because it is more profitable, but the buyer usually ends up paying for features they do not necessarily want.

Guess I'm different than most, as there is nothing in the Comfort package at $1,025 Cdn that I have an interest in (except the second power socket, which is available separately), so it is definitely not worth the price of entry for me. YMMV

It is also important to remember that there was and may still be differences between the packages that BMW Motorrad Canada and USA offer. Also, as was mentioned, a few options are only available within a package (Hill Start Control and Pro ABS if IIRC).

My RT is optioned just the way I wanted with the following (current 2017 Cdn Pricing and content):

Basic RT $21,250

Equipment Packages

Touring package - $1,725
· Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment)
· Navigation device preparation
· Seat heating
· Cruise control

Dynamic package - $400
· Hill Start Control - Only available as part of the package
· Headlight Pro
· Pro riding modes (Dynamic riding modes, ABS Pro) - Only available as part of the package

As far as the Hill Start Control goes, there is no need to slip the clutch and little risk of stalling it once you get used to it and use sufficient throttle input. I use it regularly as I back out of my garage turning down on a sloped section of my driveway which doesn't have any curbing, so I'm facing uphill with very little safe room for the bike directly behind it and taking off uphill making a 90-degree turn in the space of a bike length. You simply have to recognize what is being done when you activate the Hill Start Control. When it is engaged, the rear-brake caliper stays engaged until you pull away and it releases as you start to move forward. Therefore you need to apply noticeably more throttle than if it wasn't engaged. A little practice trying to be assertive, without being aggressive should have you comfortable with it and loving it in no time.

Then you get into the area of Dealer options which adds another layer of personal preference.

For me, I have the 49L Top Case and the Nav-V and don't have much interest in the other offerings as I preferred Katy's Bag liners, etc., but again, this is all personal preference, I don't listen to the radio or music much and if I did, it would be through my Sena as I have more than one bike, so for me it would be extremely expensive to buy a dedicated setup for each bike when I can get most of the same funtionallity (sans Wonderwheel integration) for 1/5th the cost with a Sena or Cardo and will still have it if I sell the bike or when I travel by car/plane and rent a bike as I did in January and will be doing again in July.

I love my bike and most Wethead owners are very happy with them. Did a 3 hour ride on Sunday with it and still like it as much as the day I bought it. Happy riding!

Back