Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 RTW Ordering options

2016 RTW Ordering options

I'l be placing my order shortly and would like to know which options are a must and or not worth it.

PS. Located here in Northern Alberta Canada.

Thanks in advance.

To be perfectly honest if you can afford it I'd get every option. Mine is loaded and I use every option nearly every ride. Ones I love the most....central locking, top case, aux lights, esa, alarm and xm radio.

Bmarc is right, mine has every option except aux lighting and I love it. One of my favorite is the pro shift or whatever they call it and the keyless ride is amazing too. Our BMW car has the fob and we even have a Kevo at our house, thats how much I love being keyless! i wish my 2014 ridgeline had the keyfob thing too, my only complaint about the truck.

And don't discount hill hold. I love it. Not so much for hill starting but often at lights where there is a slight hill, no need to hold the brake or when in a parking spot on an incline, its nice to hill hold the bike, shut off the engine and then let the tranny hold the bike while putting the side stand down. Love that feature. Needed? Nope, useful? Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    To be perfectly honest if you can afford it I'd get every option. Mine is loaded and I use every option nearly every ride. Ones I love the most....central locking, top case, aux lights, esa, alarm and xm radio.
    +1.

And +1 on the Hill Start option. I use most everything, most every day.

+1! on Hill Start. Also think about Shift Assistant Pro.

Maybe the ABS Pro will be available on the 2016 RT? This is the system which takes the worry out of braking hard while leaned over in a corner.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

No one has said anything about he Shift Assist. I love it at time and other times no so much. Downshifting is my favorite. On my old RT I would preload the shifter, can't do that with shift assist, old habits...

Jay

Oh man the hill hold is amazing. I dont really use it for hills just for holding it at a stop light while in neutral on an incline. On a hill I feel like you really have to slip the clutch to get it to go the few times I have used it. Bouncing between 2 bikes and having the shift assist takes some getting used to to, I cant tell you how many times I have tried to down shift the PC800 with no clutch like the RT

Quote Originally Posted by kgbpilot125 View Post
    Oh man the hill hold is amazing. I dont really use it for hills just for holding it at a stop light while in neutral on an incline. On a hill I feel like you really have to slip the clutch to get it to go the few times I have used it. Bouncing between 2 bikes and having the shift assist takes some getting used to to, I cant tell you how many times I have tried to down shift the PC800 with no clutch like the RT
    I've engaged and disengaged the hill hold many times (as others have said, I use it when stopped in traffic on a slight hill). I've only tried to pull away with it engaged once and it immediately stalled.

The manual doesn't describe it very well, so I figured you had to disengage it before pulling away (which IMO makes it pretty useless for starting on a hill). Reading your reply, it sounds like I just didn't give it enough throttle/clutch slip.

Please confirm... will the hill hold automatically disengage if you launch correctly? If so, please describe.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    Please confirm... will the hill hold automatically disengage if you launch correctly? If so, please describe.
    The answer is yes. You will have to slip the clutch a lot to overcome the hold, however. On a slight incline when I have the hill hold activated, I usually squeeze the brake lever again to release, then drive off. On a significant incline, I slip the clutch a lot, overcome the hold and then don't roll backward. Also, the hill hold can be activated when the transmission is in neutral.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Seems like most dealers are getting the RTs fully loaded with the exception of aux. lights and top case. I agree with all the above in terms of glad to have it all. Of course I have added plenty since I bought mine and personalized it. I bought my top case off ebay (saved a ton) and if you go to the MOA rally, you can get lights, etc. discounted and installed if you want. I have done that and it is well worth it. Vendors like Ilium, Suburban, Clearwater, Wunderlich, etc..
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by JIGGIN View Post
    Seems like most dealers are getting the RTs fully loaded with the exception of aux. lights and top case. I agree with all the above in terms of glad to have it all. Of course I have added plenty since I bought mine and personalized it. I bought my top case off ebay (saved a ton) and if you go to the MOA rally, you can get lights, etc. discounted and installed if you want. I have done that and it is well worth it. Vendors like Ilium, Suburban, Clearwater, Wunderlich, etc..
    Hi, i'm the sales manager at Kissell Motorsports in State College, PA....we definitely try to spec out all of our RT's with at least the premium package and central locking. I can honestly say i've never had a customer come in and ask me to order a base RT with only one or two factory options. Keep in mind that upon resale or trade-in, the high spec RT's will always be much more desirable.

Options

I live in west texas (lots of straight roads) For me, one of my favorite options is the cruise control.

I think that you can't pick and choose various options. They are packaged into set levels if I remember correctly.

But- I do feel the alarm is a useful.

On my 2016, I opted for all the bells and whistles:

Packages:
    Premium (Hill Start, Headlight Pro, Ride Modes Pro - amazing technology and very useful . Other things like cruise control and heated seat.)

Added Options:
    Keyless Ride
    Gear Shift Assist Pro - this is awesome!
    Central Locking
    Anti-theft system

Anyway- if you navigate to the BMW Motorrad website, you can "build your own" RT and it will give you an idea of what is available in which packages.

BTW- make sure to throw in the Nav VI GPS unit. Hey- what the heck!

Cheers!
    I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by zenwhipper View Post
    I think that you can't pick and choose various options. They are packaged into set levels if I remember correctly.
    Unless BMW changed their policy in the past year or so, you can work with your dealer to order individual options. You will have to wait 6-10 weeks for the bike to be built and shipped. BMW no longer has the individual option pricing on their website, but in the past, the "package" price was about the same as the total of individual options. Showroom bikes are ordered by the dealer with the packages because it is more profitable, but the buyer usually ends up paying for features they do not necessarily want.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT