• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake line install question

plock

Plockster
Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to do my first brake fluid change on my new to me 2004 R1150RT, and wanted to use the opportunity to upgrade the line to some Spiegler SS lines.

I have searched through various threads and You Tube video's on line and think I have a handle on it except for one thing (which is probably a dumb question)...

Since I am replacing the lines, do I need to bleed out all fluid including that from the ABS control unit prior to taking the old lines off? Most of the info that I have found on line really talks to the bleeding process where you are drawing in new fluid while bleeding out the old to minimize any introduction of air into the system. Since my lines will be removed, should I just resign myself to the fact that I will have a bunch of air one the system that I will have to contend with when drawing in the new fluid?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Plock

I don't think you must remove the fluid but if you don't you may find yourself sopping up and washing a lot of spills. I just replaced my lines and found the only tedious part was getting the hand brake lever reprimed.

Just remove the lines and have a moist terrytowel rag to wipe up any spilled fluid.
No need to drain the ABS unit, but I drain both reservoirs at the start of the job.
Compress the pistons in all 3 calipers as well to remove any old fluid as well.
Your bike has servo brakes so make sure you have the required funnel to fill the power side of the circuits.

Rinse the affected areas with water once the installation is complete and tested.

Ok, I was able to replace the brake lines and fill/flush the system with new oil. Now the problem: I'm getting the Brake Failure light flashing every one second when I turn the key on.

I have checked to make sure the reservoirs in the ABS control unit are topped off (as I know insufficient levels can trip this warning). I have also checked the tail brake lights and they seem to be working fine.

Any suggestion on what else I might look for?

Thanks!
Plock

I suppose you could retain some brake fluid in the 2 ABS reservoirs, but I took the occasion to flush all the brake lines, and the clutch line as well.

I first emptied the reservoirs with a cheap turkey baster. The original hole was too large and dripped, so I closed it down using heat.

I drained the 3 caliper lines by cracking the bleed screw and energizing the servo brakes.
I drained the handbrake line by cracking the bleed screw in the ABS unit (it's 1 of 6 bleed points, so check Dana Hager's ABS instructions to get the right one).

For the "special funnel" to refill the ABS reservoirs I made my own: I took one of the ABS reservoir caps, popped the vent fitting out of it, inserted a $2 plastic funnel and sealed with Goop (like rubber cement). So you can screw the funnel assembly into the reservoir and it won't leak during the refill operation. The cap can be restored later with its vent fitting.

I saw no reason to do anything with the rear brake master cylinder or reservoir for this job.

As others have said, carefully wash and dry all fittings afterwards to remove any trace of brake fluid.

Finally I verified the integrity by using my GS-911 to perform the Bleed Test, which passed. If you don't have one most would suggest getting the result checked by dealer tech.

You need to ride the bike a few miles per hour before the brake failure light will go out even if everything is ok. The wheel sensors need to go through diagnostics.

Ok, I was able to replace the brake lines and fill/flush the system with new oil. Now the problem: I'm getting the Brake Failure light flashing every one second when I turn the key on.

I have checked to make sure the reservoirs in the ABS control unit are topped off (as I know insufficient levels can trip this warning). I have also checked the tail brake lights and they seem to be working fine.

Any suggestion on what else I might look for?

Thanks!
Plock

Scan it with a GS 911 and reset as required

Back