• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cooling vest

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Anyone have good luck and recommend a make / model of a cooling vest to wear while riding?

I like Macna cooling vests. They don't leak water and they work with evaporation from the vest, not from your skin. One small bottle of water is all that is needed, there is some sort of a jel inside that absorbs the water and distribute it evenly so it doesn't weigh down either. I like it, I have two :)

I have used the cheap ones ($30-40) with good success. Yes, they work fine in very high humidity. The problem is that they are only effective for about 1 1/2 hours. If you don't think they are working, take off with them on and ride about 30 miles. Then take it off and get back on the bike. You will be stopping again sooner than you might think! Keep you more alert in high temps.

I have been running a modified Veskimo system for about a month now. These are the systems with the vest that is plumbed with many feet of plastic tubing. These are connected into a manifold and that goes into a two pipe enclosed system to the cold water reservoir. The reservoir is filled with ice and the internal pump pushes water through the tubing. Much more effective than the evaporative vests! I have ridden in 100+ temps with an Aerostich and was comfortable enough. With my Moto Port mesh kevlar I am completely comfortable in high temps, even when stopped in traffic!

BUT! The external reservoir they want to sell you is about 8 quarts I think. For well over $200 just for the reservoir! I made my own 12+ quart reservoir. I can get about 3 hours out of this, maybe over 4 depending on conditions. This allows me to go near a full fuel tank, which was my goal. Fill it up with ice at a convenience store and go again. There is simply no way I would buy or use this system with the recommended 4 or 8 quart reservoir. You still get wet with this, as the condensation from warm moist air hitting the cold water in the vest will cause condensation. I wear appropriate gear and am not bothered at all by this. The comfort and alertness gained is worth the price, as long as you build your own reservoir.

BMW brand vest works well

My wife and I both have the BMW-brand evaporative cooling vests. They work well. Two examples: on US Hwy 395 crossing the desert near Randsburg/Inyokern, and along Interstate I-84 along the Columbia River near Arlington, OR. Both cases: 115°F (46°C), very dry. Vest kept us feeling quite adequate - as if the temp was more like 85°F. Pretty warm, but not unbearable.

Evaporative vests

these work brilliantly in hot dry weather...they are pretty useless off-roading on a August afternoon in South Carolina, you just wind up with a hot wet vest.

BMW logo vest

I have the BMW branded vest. It does the job. With elastic side panels it fits snug like it should. Very pricey, more than double the cost of similar vests.d

Back