• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

gluing rubber knee pads on /5 tank

Sam111

John M.
It's been years since I glued knee pads to my /5. Just restored a 1971 R50 and the 3M stuff I used let the pads slide slowly off after several months (found one on the floor).
What's best to use?
I appreciate your suggestions.
John Messina
Lake Ann, MI

I used 3M weatherstip adhesive. Had no problems going on ten years now. Make sure surfaces are squeaky clean and follow the directions on the tube. Was the adhesive you used brand new?

Jim

Jim,
Thanks for your reply.
I did use a new tube of 3M Scotch Grip #4799 Industrial Adhesive.
Seems to never have dried as it's still sticky after months on the bike.
I think I did use the weatherstrip adhesive many years ago on a tank and it worked well.

All of the wax COMPLETLY gone?... The "film" that is sometimes on rubber cleaned off???..... Should've cured easily. You can remove it with acetone or lacquer thinner; but NOT YOUR PAINT...... No idea how to remove it from your paint so you can start all over........ God bless.Dennis

Last edited:
The right stuff !!!!!!

It's been years since I glued knee pads to my /5. Just restored a 1971 R50 and the 3M stuff I used let the pads slide slowly off after several months (found one on the floor).
What's best to use?
I appreciate your suggestions.
John Messina
Lake Ann, MI

I had the same question a month ago as I was wrapping up my own resto on my 74 R90/6. I spoke to "the man" Phil Cheney at Max BMW in CT. He advised me that he uses a product made by Loctite of all things. It is called Loctite 3092 and it is essentially gel superglue. It's designed for quick and strong adhesion of plastic, rubber, ect... It's a two part plunger tube with a really cool mixer needle. Easy to use. Refrigerate it until you are gonna use it. Then bring it to room temp. A word of advise. Practice placing the pad in its proper position on the tank. If fact, take the tank off and place it on its side and get a good light on it so you can see what u are doing. I say this because you have only about 60 seconds to apply a thin bead around the perimeter of the tank area where the rubber will go. DO NOT PUT THE BEAD NEAR THE EDGE, IT WILL SQUISH OUT. VERY BAD!!!!! A THIN BEAD ABOUT AN INCH FROM THE EDGE IS FINE. MABYE A FEW DROPS AROUND THE CENTER. THATS IT !!!!!! They are not kidding when they say that you must work smartly. don't lolly gag. gently place the rubber in the proper position image.jpgimage.jpgand apply MABYE a little GENTLE pressure. I assure you your rubber pad won't " slide ". Of course always prep with alcohol. It's about 25 dollars a tube. One tube will easily do two pads. Oh FYI. Mr. Cheney has been an airhead mechanic for over 40 years. Nuf said......

Back