• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"New" vs. "Unread" messages

Do you feel you miss new messages because they aren't marked "Unread"?

• Yes, I frequently find new postings and threads incorrectly marked "Read"

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No, I check the Forum frequently and the "Read"/"Unread" status always seems correct.

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • No, I visit the Forum infrequently, but it seems to work okay for me.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

merrittgene

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100
I doubt that I am the only person bothered by this issue, so I'll raise it again and hopefully others will join me in my request.

Simply put, I'd like every posting and thread to remain Unread until I read it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a time limit to the "new" status of a message, so if I am away from the Forum for an extended time (like Summer) then everything gets marked "Read".

If I had time to read every new posting every day, then I'd never notice the problem, so maybe that's why no one else complains.

I've tried Subscribing to entire message boards, and I've marked all the old messages Read, just to "reset" the pointers. I limit my Forum access to only one computer, too.

Maybe the behavior I'm looking for would take too much overhead. How many bytes would it take to remember the last unread message in every thread for every user? There's 7500 threads, and 6000 users, so that's under 200MB just for the last message read pointers for the next 25000-fold increase in message storage? (assuming 32 bits for each pointer). Do we "save" some fraction of that space by discarding the pointers for older messages?

I tried to ask the vBulletin Tech Support people how this all works, or what the options are, but they won't talk to me because I don't own a copy of the software.

If one of the Admin people could check into this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

"Read" vs "Unread" ...

I've just come to the Forum recently, and there are so many messages and threads out here that I would have to spend days at my computer just to catch up. So, whether the messages are flagged "read" or not makes little difference to me.

On the other hand, if I had been on since the beginning, and had been keeping up, then I would probably like the flag to help me see what's new.

The poll doesn't allow for my answer; hence the essay.

Here are a couple more (perhaps irreverent) remarks:

1. Cute 'n' clever screen names probably have their place somewhere. But a signature should be required for every message posted --which would include at a minimum the poster's full name, city and state. This would cut down on flames, insults, and innuendo; and it would provide readers with a sense of who's writing --without having to click on a profile link, which may or may not reveal the writer's identity. I do notice that most of the officials out here do sign their posts. Why not everyone?

2. A lot of bandwidth and reading (riding?) time is wasted with smilies, unnecessary quotes, blank lines, and people saying stuff like "me too" or "what he said". Just an observation, but this is the sort of thing that will drive me away, not attract me to the Forum. I've got plenty of other useful stuff to read both on and off the Internet.

Thanks for listening.

Tim Colburn #03842
Park Forest, IL
Secretary, Chicago Region BMW Owners Assn #3

tcolburn said:
I've just come to the Forum recently, and there are so many messages and threads out here that I would have to spend days at my computer just to catch up. So, whether the messages are flagged "read" or not makes little difference to me.

welcome to the forum

tcolburn said:
On the other hand, if I had been on since the beginning, and had been keeping up, then I would probably like the flag to help me see what's new.

The poll doesn't allow for my answer; hence the essay.

Here are a couple more (perhaps irreverent) remarks:

1. Cute 'n' clever screen names probably have their place somewhere. But a signature should be required for every message posted --which would include at a minimum the poster's full name, city and state. This would cut down on flames, insults, and innuendo; and it would provide readers with a sense of who's writing --without having to click on a profile link, which may or may not reveal the writer's identity. I do notice that most of the officials out here do sign their posts. Why not everyone?

2. A lot of bandwidth and reading (riding?) time is wasted with smilies, unnecessary quotes, blank lines, and people saying stuff like "me too" or "what he said". Just an observation, but this is the sort of thing that will drive me away, not attract me to the Forum. I've got plenty of other useful stuff to read both on and off the Internet.

Thanks for listening.

Tim Colburn #03842
Park Forest, IL
Secretary, Chicago Region BMW Owners Assn #3

1. I agree smilies only posts should be banned.
2. I don't think knowing that my name is mark krause and I live in Appleton, WI, will cut down on the amount of insults, fleames, or senseless banter will help. People are people its a downfall of the fast information age, insulting at lightspeed.
3. This is one of the best, most congenial forums I visit. For the most part we all act with a certain touch of class. Yes lots of bandwidth is wasted with senseless banter, but isn't that a reflection of life? I spend 60%-85% of my day at work discussing non-work related items with co-workers and customers. Its how we get to know each other.

oops Packer Game time......

My "MO", whether I've been away from the forum for an hour or a month, is to click the "new posts" button. Sometimes that nets four posts, sometimes four (or more) pages.

I don't know that I've ever missed a post. Nor do I KNOW that I haven't, but in 2+ years I've never happened on something I've missed.

tcolburn said:

If I agree I will say so, if I disagree I will say so, if I like a picture or a bike I will say so. Most often in as few words as possible. I hope it doesn't drive you away. But, if you have plenty of other useful stuff to read both on and off the Internet go for it.

In your user CP (profile) you can turn off smilies which means you won't see anything in posts that are all smilies.

Best,

Rob Nye said:
In your user CP (profile) you can turn off smilies which means you won't see anything in posts that are all smilies.

Best,

didn't see the choice under "profile"?

marK11LT said:
didn't see the choice under "profile"?

UserCP>Edit Options

Go about halfway down the page and uncheck "avatars", "smilies" and whatever.

tcolburn said:
2. A lot of bandwidth and reading (riding?) time is wasted with smilies, unnecessary quotes, blank lines

Hi Tim, nice to meet you.

While I see your point about wasted bandwidth, it takes zero time to "read" a smilie or a blank line, and quotes are clearly marked as quotes, so they are only for reference.

Now, if this were a mailing list like IBMWR, then I agree that those same issues would truly be annoying to me.

As someone else said, we're a pretty classy bunch, on the whole. Some threads and some posters might get a little silly/self-important but we're/they're easy to ignore.

Gene

marK11LT said:
welcome to the forum
3. This is one of the best, most congenial forums I visit. For the most part we all act with a certain touch of class. Yes lots of bandwidth is wasted with senseless banter, but isn't that a reflection of life? I spend 60%-85% of my day at work discussing non-work related items with co-workers and customers. Its how we get to know each other.

oops Packer Game time......

I have been thinking how nice and fun this forum is every since I first joined. Some of the other forums seem to be magnets for nasty. Even the Ham Radio antenna group draws some really twisted folks. We gotta nuf grief and seriousness in the rest of the media. A post full of smiles is just what I need and I read every space carefully. :love
Jack

Me, too ; )

OOps.

Coincidently I just told Paul how much it adds to a post to have the ability to add really unique smilies.

:dance

Just wish more came in RED.

Voni
sMiling anyway

Voni said:
Me, too ; )

OOps.

Coincidently I just told Paul how much it adds to a post to have the ability to add really unique smilies.

:dance

Just wish more came in RED.

Voni
sMiling anyway

Just thinking about your color thing...I remember back in the '70s there was a psych or self help book on colors and said something about one's mental. I was surprised to find that the colors I liked were not colors, but were mostly the absence of colors. It's still hard for me to wear a color, but I feel really wild and crazy when I do. A good thing I guess.

cjack said:
Just thinking about your color thing...I remember back in the '70s there was a psych or self help book on colors and said something about one's mental. I was surprised to find that the colors I liked were not colors, but were mostly the absence of colors. It's still hard for me to wear a color, but I feel really wild and crazy when I do. A good thing I guess.

Color is good. Our house has an orange and white living room, a green and yellow kitchen, my office is turquoise and our bedroom is light blue.

Our house is now sort of pale yellow, but we're going to paint it a darkish green with eggplant and white trim.

merrittgene said:
I doubt that I am the only person bothered by this issue, so I'll raise it again and hopefully others will join me in my request.

Simply put, I'd like every posting and thread to remain Unread until I read it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a time limit to the "new" status of a message, so if I am away from the Forum for an extended time (like Summer) then everything gets marked "Read".

On this, the original subject, I never read the instructions for the Forum, but I have never noticed any connect between what I read and didn't...or what was new or wasn't. I noticed some threads were in BOLD and most weren't. Is there some sense to threads in bold and not?

cjack said:
On this, the original subject, I never read the instructions for the Forum, but I have never noticed any connect between what I read and didn't...or what was new or wasn't. I noticed some threads were in BOLD and most weren't. Is there some sense to threads in bold and not?

The ones in bold contain posts you haven't read yet. You'll also notice that they have a different icon on the left, that indicates that there are new posts in them. There are also different icons for threads that have had lots of views.

Here's the quick guide to dealing with the forums:

Sign in and click the New Posts link on the top of the page. The forum will return a list of new posts since you last visited.

Browse through the posts, reading the ones you want.

When you're done, go to Quick Links>Mark Forums read and the forum will mark the whole forum read and turn off all the bolding and new post icons.

Next time you come back, do the same. You can pretty quickly navigate to the threads you're interested in without having to do lots of page changing.

Tip: When you're looking at a thread, use your browser's Back button to take you right to the list of Search Results again. If you post something, you can hit the little down arrow next to the back button to bring up a list of the pages you've just looked at. Select "Search Results" to go back to the list of new posts.

If you want to see if there have been new posts since you've been poking around on the list, just hit the New Posts button again and the forum will reload the page with the most current posts.

:)

KBasa said:
The ones in bold contain posts you haven't read yet. You'll also notice that they have a different icon on the left, that indicates that there are new posts in them. There are also different icons for threads that have had lots of views.

Here's the quick guide to dealing with the forums:

Sign in and click the New Posts link on the top of the page. The forum will return a list of new posts since you last visited.

Browse through the posts, reading the ones you want.

When you're done, go to Quick Links>Mark Forums read and the forum will mark the whole forum read and turn off all the bolding and new post icons.

Next time you come back, do the same. You can pretty quickly navigate to the threads you're interested in without having to do lots of page changing.

Tip: When you're looking at a thread, use your browser's Back button to take you right to the list of Search Results again. If you post something, you can hit the little down arrow next to the back button to bring up a list of the pages you've just looked at. Select "Search Results" to go back to the list of new posts.

If you want to see if there have been new posts since you've been poking around on the list, just hit the New Posts button again and the forum will reload the page with the most current posts.

:)

Hey...thanks. I'll do that.
Thanks again,

merrittgene said:

I was in my user preferences today and noticed the 'Default Thread Age Cut off" option. Try checking this setting, if it's to restricted, maybe that is why you are not seeing some unread threads. :dunno

SheRidesABeemer said:
I was in my user preferences today and noticed the 'Default Thread Age Cut off" option. Try checking this setting, if it's to restricted, maybe that is why you are not seeing some unread threads. :dunno

Nah, I have my preference set to "Show All" regardless of age.

My issue isn't having them not available due to age, but not being bold when there are unread messages.

Thanks, though

KBasa said:

I'm still frustrated by this same issue (see first post in this thread).

I think KBasa's comment is exactly right, re: "since last visited" but sometimes I don't get to read every new post before quitting for the day, and when I come back, it's considered a new visit.

To reiterate my primary complaint:

Is there any way to CHANGE the way vBulletin is SET UP on the server so that all messages remain unread until they are actually read?

I'd like to pose my question directly to the vBulletin programmers, but they won't talk to me because I'm not a registered owner of the software.

Back