Thread: Best Dual Sport tires for my new '92 R100 GS/PD

Best Dual Sport tires for my new '92 R100 GS/PD

I'm the proud owner of a new GS/PD currently equipped with 90/90-21 150/70-17 street tires and hope to burn these off in the next month. I live in Las Vegas so the opportunity for interesting dirt roads and less is wonderful. I'd like to take a look at the Mojava Road this fall as it's only a couple of hours away and the Nevada Trails books list a decades worth of back roads and 4x4 tracks I want to visit. It's been awhile since I've had a GS to play with so I'm out of touch with the latest in DS tires. And there are those long paved road journeys to Rallies to consider.

I'm less concerned about mileage than I am about getting through the sandy washes. Many of these old roads ran up wash bottoms and 4 to 6 inches of loose sand is not a rare occurrence.

I'm currently thinking Conti TKC80s 90/90-21 and returning to the stock 130/80-17s for the rear. Any suggestions as to the 130/80 versus 140/80s (or the 150/70s) or alternatives to the Conti TKC80s?
    Last edited by MarkMillman; 09-01-2015 at 07:23 PM.

I can't help with any recommendation but I seem to recall reading either in the July or August (maybe September?) ON about Bill Hooykaas and Overlanding. I thought I saw where he discussed the tires he was using and he seemed to be pleased with his choice.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Best tires for DS ?

Mark, At this years DVR I had a blast riding my '92 GSPD with DIRT tires on mostly hard pack but some soft stuff as well. The tires that I had been running on since buying the bike in 2007 were always pavement oriented tires like Anakees.

TKC 70 tires were on order, but not delivered before the DVR. The shop had some take-offs that had little wear and would fit.(Karoo rear/ D606 front) They gave them to me for the cost of tubes and mounting !

Real dirt tires. I felt a bit uneasy about riding the 300 miles to Death Valley on pavement, so it was loaded onto a Kendon trailer.

I started riding, on dirt, when younger. I'm 58 now. Until the DVR this year it had been since about '75 that I had as much FUN on the dirt. I did not ride at all between '85-2007. The GSPD with me, a full tank & gear is 700+ lb.

Before this years DVR I was happy with the Saharas, Anakees & other DS tires and would have recommended a tire like a TKC70/K60, or equivalent. Not now. Having knobbies on the unpaved roads didn't turn it into a light dirt bike, but made a couple 200+ mi. loops much more enjoyable than when ran on non knob DS tires. I did NOT go off-road in DV.

You wrote in the post that you will be riding dirt roads and "less", getting through sandy washes, & that many (roads) ran up wash bottoms.

It seems that you have easy access to off pavement, & less.
    In dirt/sand the TKC 80 or a tire like it is the way to go, anything else is a compromise that takes the fun & safety out of the dirt experience. A TKC70/K60 type tire for paved/un-paved roads works fine for me. If your riding more on dirt than just crossing the soft stuff or an occasional trail or two, the knobbiest of knobs will do.

Sadly, all the opportunities for dirt riding in my area disappeared a long time ago, so TKC 70s or the like will be going back on the GS. It's a joy to ride on pavement, I'll just have to ease up again in the dirt/sand.

The compromise for me was to get a WR250R and put a Dunlop D606 rear, & a Pirelli MT21 front.

On other bikes I have messed with, the factory sizes have usually worked best.

Bill

In the photos, the GS is on unpaved road, off-road & off the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tanker4me; 02-02-2016 at 01:40 AM.

The Metzler Sahara was literally made for your bike.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...otorcycle-tire

A very similar tire is the Heidenau K60. Both tires split the gap between the TKC80 and a tire like the Tourance or Anakee.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...otorcycle-tire
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Hey Mark, glad to hear you're burning through your tires already! I've installed a pair of Avon Distanzias on my G/S and since I don't do loads of deep dirt riding but do want dirt road capability these are perfect for me. The bonus was they came in real inch sizes, not metric equivalents which can sometimes be a real bear to get on and off the rims.

The last pair were a Bridgestone BattleAx on the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion on the front. This worked really well in the loose stuff but the rear wore out pretty quick on the highway. I think more knobby = lower mileage is a trade off that can't be avoided in DS tires.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

not lost til out of gas chasmrider's Avatar
    hey Mark, I have been running Heidenau K 60s, in stock sizes, for a couple of seasons and am very happy with them. I have been getting 10,000 miles a set. I often ride 150 to 200 miles to get to my off road spots, these tires perform well on the way and off road when I get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1978 R 100 S, 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

Check out Mitas E-07 tires. Great mileage with peg dragging traction in the dry. Not as open a tread as the TKC's.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMillman View Post

I'm less concerned about mileage than I am about getting through the sandy washes. Many of these old roads ran up wash bottoms and 4 to 6 inches of loose sand is not a rare occurrence.

I'm currently thinking Conti TKC80s 90/90-21 and returning to the stock 130/80-17s for the rear. Any suggestions as to the 130/80 versus 140/80s (or the 150/70s) or alternatives to the Conti TKC80s?
    If you want to have fun off road I would go with Michelin T63's. They are a soft compound so they wear more quickly than TKC 80's, but they are far superior off road and hold the pavement a lot better. They are also pretty inexpensive, so changing them more often is not that painful. I regularly ride a couple of hundred highway miles to get to where I ride off road, no trailer for me. Hiedenau K60's work off road, but they are not fun. Dunlop D606 looks like another tire to consider, I haven't tried them as I am happy with the T63's.

I switched out this almost new Heidenau with the T63. Like I said, the T63's are fun!

ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    If you want to have fun off road I would go with Michelin T63's. They are a soft compound so they wear more quickly than TKC 80's, but they are far superior off road and hold the pavement a lot better. They are also pretty inexpensive, so changing them more often is not that painful. I regularly ride a couple of hundred highway miles to get to where I ride off road, no trailer for me. Hiedenau K60's work off road, but they are not fun. Dunlop D606 looks like another tire to consider, I haven't tried them as I am happy with the T63's.
    I tried the D606 on the GS and found the rear rubbed the swing arm

For the G/S I just did about 7K km on TKC80 before I felt I needed to change them for the wetter conditions coming this fall.

The K60 Scouts on the GS were great on and off roads that were not too muddy. I sold the bike before really testing it out.
    '81 R80G/S(wp4860 forks, Henderson triple clamp)
    '10 Husaberg FE450, '10KTM 250XC-W
    Past BMWs: '68 R50/2, '77 R80/7, '87 R80GSPD, '76 R60/6, '85 K100RS, '91 R100GS,'87 R100RS

Cool Thanks for all the advice

I guess I'll have to buy 4 more bikes I'll check in all your suggestions and let you know what I finally buy. Unfortunately, my street tires seem to be lasting longer than I expected so it may be a couple of months. Mark