Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tours of Tuscany

Question Tours of Tuscany

I will be in Italy in early 2006, and I'm seeking information/advice from any BMW riders that have taken motorcycle tours in Italy, Tuscany in particular. Is First Class Tours, which I found on the web, reputable? Are there any obvious problems to avoid? Any advice will be helpful and most welcome.

Thanks!

Peterh

USERNAME
    if my information is correct, jdiaz is in italy now, and does lots of cool rides.

jdiaz to the white courtesy phone!

Quote Originally Posted by username
    if my information is correct, jdiaz is in italy now, and does lots of cool rides.
    Hmm, not too sure about the second part.

--Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Make sure you get to Volterra, San Gimgiano (sp).
    The approach roads to the hill cities are made for motorcycles!!!!
    Tuscany is made for motorcycles!!!!
    Bluwing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuscany

My wife and I went on an Edelweiss Tour of Tuscany. We've never been Italy so it was perfect for us. Everything was planned/arranged. Hotels are nice, food is great. Days off in between was nice so that we were not always on the bike. Beautiful scenery but we should have gone in late may instead of early June. Fewer crowds and was just a little cooler during that time. Bikes were "new" had only a few thousand K's on them but were already scratched up.

Tour was wonderful, guides were very good, took all small twisties after the frist day. Stops every hour and a half to two hours.
    Swleejr

Quote Originally Posted by peterh
    I'm seeking information/advice from any BMW riders that have taken motorcycle tours in Italy, Tuscany in particular. Any advice will be helpful and most welcome.
    Not Tuscany in particular, but the Italian Alps and lakes regions just to the north.

Why not just rent a bike and make this tour your tour. It is really easy and far more enjoyable. I've been doing it for years. As an added bonus, you save wads of money.

The BMW MOA Global Touring - Touring In Europe site should get you started.

I agree with GlobalRider. Beyond "ciao bella", I don't speak any Italian, and yet I have had several great experiences there and elsewhere in Europe. Tuscany is not such a huge area, get a map and poke through some tour guides online or at the library. Try staying on one of the farms that offer rooms, they can be very pleasant. Just have a picnic lunch, and stay off the highways. You'll have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi
    Beyond "ciao bella", I don't speak any Italian, and yet I have had several great experiences. Tuscany is not such a huge area, get a map and poke through some tour guides online or at the library.
    Darryl,

Are you going to be there in 2006? If so and if we're in the same area, we should try to meet for dinner. I'll be there for the whole month of June again, and if I can swing it, two months; from the middle of May to the middle of July.

I picked up a Freytag & Berndt map of Tuscany (half price) last year while strolling through Salzburg. That must have been a sign...to go there.
    Last edited by GlobalRider; 10-31-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Alex, I'm pretty well obliged to be in Germany for most of May.

I bought a 1928 R52 last year and I'm trying to get it fixed up. I'm going to vintage rallies 3 weekends in a row, beginning on May 1st, and I hope to ride it in 2 of them. The other rally is for bikes older than 1924, and for that I've been offered a ride on a 1917 Douglas!

I haven't bought a ticket yet, so the rest of my plans are relatively unformed. However, if I have some extra time, I'll probably head to Italy, at least for a few days. Heck, who can resist playing in the Dolomites? I have friends in Milan and Trento I can visit as well.

But if we can get together, that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi
    I'll probably head to Italy, at least for a few days. Heck, who can resist playing in the Dolomites? I have friends in Milan and Trento I can visit as well.

But if we can get together, that would be great!
    Well I'll be in Rovereto again. Thats only 15 minutes away from Trento.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider
    Well I'll be in Rovereto again. Thats only 15 minutes away from Trento.
    Cool! Yeah, Rovereto is just down the SS12 a couple hops. I hope we can meet up, I'll let you know when I have firm dates.

Blocking the slow lane
    You want to talk to Craig Cleasby, as he and his wife spent most of the Yankee Beemers trust fund on a tour in Tuscany this past spring.

A friend from Seattle visited this summer and had a good rental experience with Arturo in Milan at Mototouring, if you decide to skip the organized tour and just want to wing it. We've stayed in agriturismo's (bed and breakfasts) in Florence and Rome that we found online and really liked the experience.

Other than riding with Darryl in the Dolomites for a weekend, I've spent most of my free time in Emilia Romagna south of Piacenza, or in the passes of Lombardia between Lake Como and Lake Garda. I didn't wander much more than three hours from home.

A year here wasn't enough. Don't take a tour assuming you are going to see it all or do it all in one trip, because you just can't......and that's when it starts to get expensive.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Vintage Rallies in Germany

Darryl,
    Could you give me some info on those vintage rallies? I plan to be in Germany in May. I have been drooling over an R50, and an R26 has just come up for sale. Decisions, Decisions....

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by Holly
    Darryl,
    Could you give me some info on those vintage rallies? I plan to be in Germany in May. I have been drooling over an R50, and an R26 has just come up for sale. Decisions, Decisions....

Holly
    I would be happy to. The one thing is, these guys don't think of an R50 as being vintage. It's way too new for that. My friend Sascha, who owns a 1921 Victoria, tells me that my R60/2 is not vintage, just a used bike. Oh well...

Are you talking to a dealer about these bikes? They're great fun to ride, but you have to go in with eyes wide open. The purchase price is only the beginning of your costs, and everyone's idea of a perfectly restored and running bike varies greatly... DAMHIK!

The first rally I hope to go to is the 6. Keilriemenfahrt Rheinhessen (Belt Drive Rally). The rules here are no bikes newer than 1924, except that belt drive bikes up until 1928 are allowed. This is the one in which I hope to ride a 1917 Douglas. It will be in Osthofen on May 1st. Osthofen is between Worms and Mannheim, west of Frankfurt, and not far from the Rhine River. It's a lovely area of low rolling hills, little villages and lots of vineyards.

The second rally is the 21st Richard Kuechen Gedaechtnisfahrt (Richard Kuechen Memorial Rally) in Bad Bergzabern on May 8th. This is in the southern part of the Rheinland-Pfalz state, near Landau and just over the Rhine from Karlsruhe and Stuttgart. Bikes up until 1939 are allowed in this rally. The terrain is a bit steeper and more forrested, but you won't see anything that looks like a mountain here. It will also likely venture over the border into Alsace, France.

The third rally, I don't have a lot of info about. Sascha tells me I have to go, so I guess I have to go. ;-) It's for BMW stecktank bikes (hanging tank bikes, the name given to models from 1923 through 1929, R32/37/39, R42/47, R52/57 and R62/63). All I know is that it's the following weekend.

I hope that my R52 will be together and running for these last two rallies.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly
    Darryl,
    Could you give me some info on those vintage rallies? I plan to be in Germany in May.
    I know you'll both be there in May, but if you are ever over there in October, you might want to attend Veterama Mannheim.

October is a good time of the year to tour Europe and if you get there a bit earlier (September), you can take in Oktoberfest and the bike show in M??nchen.

There is also a meet in Ludwigshafen at the end of April.