• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 Nat'l Rally July 14 - 17 in Hamburg NY

I was looking forward to the BMW rally on the east coast this year. Saw the post for Hamburg, NY and thought, "Great. Upstate NY. Adirondacks? Finger Lakes? 1000 islands? Catskills?" When I looked it up on Google maps, I figured it had to be someone's idea of a joke. A bad joke. New York has so many beautiful places to visit. Why Hamburg? Next year is it going to be held in Stockton, CA?

Stockton, what a great idea! :)

It's all about how you get there. I can reach Western NY in a day, but will probably drop down the length of the Blueridge Parkway, then come up thru WV backroads into Ohio...you get the idea

I was looking forward to the BMW rally on the east coast this year. Saw the post for Hamburg, NY and thought, "Great. Upstate NY. Adirondacks? Finger Lakes? 1000 islands? Catskills?" When I looked it up on Google maps, I figured it had to be someone's idea of a joke. A bad joke. New York has so many beautiful places to visit. Why Hamburg? Next year is it going to be held in Stockton, CA?

It's a matter of available and adequate facilities. 7000+ is a lot of folks and display buildings with AC aren't that common.

"Lighten up Francis"

Do we announce the location of the next rally a year ahead of time just to give malcontents the opportunity to whine for 12 months? I used to live in Buffalo, NY (operative phrase-used to) so I am going to be familiar with the area as well as anyone. Having said this, remember two things: a) The motorcycle was invented for most of our purposes to enjoy getting there; b) Life is what you make of it so if you're constantly miserable or finding fault in everything...guess what?

MOA can't control the weather and can't make you have a good time. But how about for those who want to hold a gripe fest for the next eight months about this or any other location for a rally, join up to make a difference or go somewhere else so you don't irritate the rest of us who know how to make the best of a situation. Personally, I'm planning an epic journey on both sides of the rally and Buffalo is just one stop on a month long tour of America that I feel privileged to be healthy enough and have the time to pursue.

Do we announce the location of the next rally a year ahead of time just to give malcontents the opportunity to whine for 12 months? I used to live in Buffalo, NY (operative phrase-used to) so I am going to be familiar with the area as well as anyone. Having said this, remember two things: a) The motorcycle was invented for most of our purposes to enjoy getting there; b) Life is what you make of it so if you're constantly miserable or finding fault in everything...guess what?

MOA can't control the weather and can't make you have a good time. But how about for those who want to hold a gripe fest for the next eight months about this or any other location for a rally, join up to make a difference or go somewhere else so you don't irritate the rest of us who know how to make the best of a situation. Personally, I'm planning an epic journey on both sides of the rally and Buffalo is just one stop on a month long tour of America that I feel privileged to be healthy enough and have the time to pursue.

New to the internet? :jester

I swear some people would be complaining about sleeping with a supermodel. :)

Hopefully, I will be able to attend this rally and bring my girlfriend, who has never been to a national. It is going to be FUN! :thumb

What a nice way to put it! I've been the Erie County Fairground to preview it with other Committee Chairs and it is an awesome facility. The Das Rally is going to be great!

Lodging

Hmm, after reading the posts here I guess there's no decent lodging within walking distance to the Rally Site? I'm to old to sleep on the ground, did plenty of that in my Infantry days. Area motels don't look to promising either.

I swear some people would be complaining about sleeping with a supermodel. :)

Photographers are always following us around, she always wants new clothes, we can never eat a real meal... (Oh, c'mon, somebody had to run with that straight line.) :wave

Bring your tent, or rent a Sherpa tent.

Harry

So does that mean the rally is only intended for those that are willing/want to sleep in the dirt. Never been so just asking. I would have thought that if no hotels are within a reasonable walk of the rally site, then shuttles are provided to/from the hotel area.

So does that mean the rally is only intended for those that are willing/want to sleep in the dirt. Never been so just asking. I would have thought that if no hotels are within a reasonable walk of the rally site, then shuttles are provided to/from the hotel area.
As you have never been to a rally, the hotels and other lodgings seem to fill up pretty fast- sorta when the location is announced. There also seems to be quite a few cancellations as the event date gets closer.
A good way to see the lead up to a rally is to go through the pages here in the Rally section of the forum. You will be able to get the feel of the pre-rally postings.....and the after-glow :)
Enjoy.
Gary

Under the page Quick Nav there is a rally link. Isn't it about time to have this link for the 2016 rally in Hamburg, NY instead of the Billings rally, or did I miss something?

Last edited:
Under the page Quick Nav there is a rally link. Isn't it about time to have this link for the 2016 rally in Hamburg, NY instead of the Billings rally, or did I miss something?

Walter,

Give them some time, the CCA folks aren't familiar with much beyond the Biltmore Estate...

And, this whole Ontario thing and those letters in the zip code........That's just too much for their "BMW-centric" brains.

Just send in the money, everything will be fine........

Walter, promotion for the 2016 rally begins with the January issue of the Owners News and will be posted on the Rally page...it's the same every year. Presently your volunteer Rally Chairs are setting up their team of volunteer Committee Chairs, contracting entertainment, arranging for volunteers to write articles on things to do traveling to and from the rally, along with the many many things to see and do in the area. During each month following January leading up to the rally, folks will learn more and more about the great time being planned as it all comes together. Total volunteer planning of the event takes about 18 months. Hope to see you there!

Making a week of it.

We plan on throwing the BMW in the back of the truck and coming in early so we can tour Canada before the Rally ramps up. We solved the "sleeping on the ground" problem by buying a Sport Tent that goes up in the bed of the truck. If I were coming by myself, I would bring my teepee; but the truck works great.

Walter, promotion for the 2016 rally begins with the January issue of the Owners News and will be posted on the Rally page...it's the same every year. Presently your volunteer Rally Chairs are setting up their team of volunteer Committee Chairs, contracting entertainment, arranging for volunteers to write articles on things to do traveling to and from the rally, along with the many many things to see and do in the area. During each month following January leading up to the rally, folks will learn more and more about the great time being planned as it all comes together. Total volunteer planning of the event takes about 18 months. Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the information about announcements and timings.

The National rally experience is fairly unique. Staying on-site is a really good way to do it. There are all kinds of things to do and see and try. Staying elsewhere, although possible, really dilutes the experience. I know because I have done it both ways.

Is "sleep in the dirt" how you view camping in a tent? If so, it is possible that you are unaware of the various advances in cleanliness and creature comforts that have been made since Daniel Boone's days. Nobody is sleeping in dirt. There are usually outfits who set everything up for you (tent, etc.), so all you have to do is show up. I think the tents are even on platforms. Maybe someone can correct me, if I am mistaken.

Back