Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Nat'l Rally July 14 - 17 in Hamburg NY

Erie Co Fairgrounds, Hamburg, NY

WoW! Let me assure all that this place will blow you away! There are many, many acres of camping and RV parking - many. The 'business' end of the rally will be quite tightly connected - buildings, open spaces, outdoor vendors, beer garden, entertainment, et al. - all within a couple hundred yards of each other. There is a huge pile of dirt, sand, logs et al - twice the size of Billings, that will be for GS Giants.

There are many trees, gazebos, picnic tables and nice grassy areas for relaxing, talking and catching up with your friends.

Dutch and Kate, Rally Masters, are planning quite a national meet for us. Plan to attend!

How do I know any of this - I was on-site this past weekend as the MOA Board was treated to tours of the fairgrounds. You WILL enjoy this one!

Regards,

Peter Perrin
    MOAF Director
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >180K miles/sold; '07 RT 160K miles/sold; '12 K1600 GT 20k miles/totaled;
    '16 K1600 GT 50k miles; '16 S1000 XR - 7k miles;
    LD blog: www.ppldma.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    I agree that Camping at the Rally is Fun! But, I have also survived Bloomsburg and Lima with the help of hard roof lodging and AIR CONDITIONING........

Our gang chips in and rents at least one motel room that we can use should the weather turn HOT/WET/or COLD! It's nice to have a clean bathroom with A/C when the temps get high. A pool is NICE too if the weather gets sticky!

I remember a later afternoon storm in Lima that could have been life threating if there wasn't hard roof protection near by. I remember my buddy Ray saying, there's nothing in that Tent I can't replace. Lets go! Oh, and lets not forget Charleston, WV and the storm there! Same deal, the dorms where great!

We'll most likely claim a spot in the Camping area and put up a Canopy that we can use for pit stops during the day at the rally.
    Can't wait to be there. Home of the Hot Wing!

Jason
    You often have a thunderstorm in the afternoon on the east side of the Great Lakes........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

From the f650.com forum: Chain Gang Northeast Jailbreak: July 14th - 17th in Hamburg NY

"The BMW MOA 2016 National Rally is being held at the Erie County Fairgrounds in Hamburg NY from Thursday July 14th through Sunday July 17th. The Chain Gang will hold the semi-occasional Northeast Jailbreak within the MOA Rally."
    ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

I need 2 trees

Does any one know if the camping area has trees. I use a hammock tent and require 2 trees. 13-25 feet apart.
    Member #193478
    2008 r1200rt
    2005 K1200LT
    2010 1200 GSA

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    ...Trees; see line #4 of post #16 above your question.

Trees

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    Does any one know if the camping area has trees. I use a hammock tent and require 2 trees. 13-25 feet apart.
    Here is a picture I took of the camping area, sorry I didn't get closer.
    There are a lot of trees in the back of the camping area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

I may know why you didn't get closer.... "guy wire collision risk"

... "for the love of overhead cable man"... there are seventeen (17) power/telephone poles in the foreground, prior to the nice trees in the "back" of the camping area...
    but within this "front" of the camping area, he "could" use power-polls for his hammock tent. And NOT have neighbors camping peg to peg.
    MOA'ers don't generally set up surrounded by or underneath that view. Sorry to reveal the truth... but that's not a very desirable promo photo, IMHO.

"travel'n" john
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 10-14-2015 at 04:42 PM.

This wasn't meant to be a promotional photograph.
    The MOA Member asked if there were trees in and around the camping area,
    this was the only picture I took that shows that.
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

I absolutely hate power poles - until I want to plug something in to an electrical outlet. At which time I am at least modestly pleased to discover that somebody found a way to bring electricity right to where I am. Then I don't hate the power poles quite so much.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    ... "for the love of overhead cable man"... there are seventeen (17) power/telephone poles in the foreground, prior to the nice trees in the "back" of the camping area...
    but within this "front" of the camping area, he "could" use power-polls for his hammock tent. And NOT have neighbors camping peg to peg.
    MOA'ers don't generally set up surrounded by or underneath that view.

"travel'n" john
    That's only because theres not much shade under power poles
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Registered User ArkansasPenguin's Avatar
    Personal charging stations for everyone!

Bring some fluorescent tubes and stand under the larger structures running left to right ...looks like a double circuit 138 KV transmission line...crackly buzz on a damp morning or all night sometimes

Oh, back to tent hanging trees for aufevermike
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Imported Norwegian Viking viking59's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sagerat View Post
    Camp at the rally; really it is more fun. You can stay at a motel any time, but how often do you get to camp with thousands of fellow motorcyclists? Heck, I've met and made friends camping at the rally, which has never happened in a motel breakfast break room or parking lot.

I always wander the camp sites and ask folks questions about their tents, chair, bags, etc.

That's how I wound up adding a LED lights for my tent after the Billings rally. Not to mention camping is cheaper than moteling by several magnitudes.

Again, I am lucky as even at 56 I still sleep comfortably on a ThermaRest.
    There is simply no other way......than camping :-).

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You often have a thunderstorm in the afternoon on the east side of the Great Lakes........
    I live in western New York, and while the Great Lakes tend to encourage lake-effect snow storms in the winter, I believe they tend to dampen down thunderstorms. You can get a decent thunderstorm in Hamburg, but usually less severe than southerners are used to and especially mid-westerners. Hail and tornadoes are rare here.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I live in western New York, and while the Great Lakes tend to encourage lake-effect snow storms in the winter, I believe they tend to dampen down thunderstorms. You can get a decent thunderstorm in Hamburg, but usually less severe than southerners are used to and especially mid-westerners. Hail and tornadoes are rare here.

Harry
    Harry,

Your comments about the severity of these eastern thunderstorms is absolutely correct. Some lightning and rain, that's usually it.

That death and destruction crap is for the folks from the crazy lands.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks