• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery charging

jaflowers

I'm not new to bikes but a thread on another forum made me wonder about BMW's and battery charging.

Other than a few times over the winter last year(moved to Colorado in 2012 and bought a different bike in early 2014) I've never bothered charging my battery since I'm riding my bike multiple days a week, same as my truck or SUV. Over the years I never did this either but I lived in Florida so I rode pretty much year round. So on the other forum other BMW owners are talking about how they always have their bikes on chargers when they're not being ridden so that the bikes are always ready to go. Being a total newbie to BMW motorcycles is there something about the BMW's I'm not aware of that's different than other bikes where they'd drain the battery more or don't have an alternator that works well?? Just wondering?? I totally get throwing them on a charger over the winter when not being ridden much, if not at all, for extended periods of time but when you're riding them daily it just doesn't make sense to me. My batteries in other bikes have always lasted quite a few years so I'm puzzled. Thanks all.

I'm not new to bikes but a thread on another forum made me wonder about BMW's and battery charging.

Other than a few times over the winter last year(moved to Colorado in 2012 and bought a different bike in early 2014) I've never bothered charging my battery since I'm riding my bike multiple days a week, same as my truck or SUV. Over the years I never did this either but I lived in Florida so I rode pretty much year round. So on the other forum other BMW owners are talking about how they always have their bikes on chargers when they're not being ridden so that the bikes are always ready to go. Being a total newbie to BMW motorcycles is there something about the BMW's I'm not aware of that's different than other bikes where they'd drain the battery more or don't have an alternator that works well?? Just wondering?? I totally get throwing them on a charger over the winter when not being ridden much, if not at all, for extended periods of time but when you're riding them daily it just doesn't make sense to me. My batteries in other bikes have always lasted quite a few years so I'm puzzled. Thanks all.

Mostly anal balderdash. Riding the bike for a while in anything but slow speed stop and go traffic every couple of weeks will keep the battery charged just fine. Accessories that pull the battery down in a few days, such as a GPS left connected alter this scenario but stock motorcycles can sit for a few weeks and still start and run jsut fine.

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I figured. I'm going to get a better battery tender for my bike for the winter months here in Colorado but other than that it'll be operate as normal.

Back