• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

flip up helmets comparison

This is only my third post, and I certainly do not want to cause trouble or make folks mad. As a 23 year veteran of the Army, who continues to practice medicine each day, I am familiar with the extensive qualifications of special forces medics, and respect them tremendously. I spent most of my time in the combat arms aid stations. I have also seen the devastating effects of many head injuries in my 28 years of medical practice. I must say, a subarachnoid hemorrhage is a real entity, and the most severe of head injuries...one which a patient is lucky to survive. It is much worse than a subdural, which is bad enough in itself. I wish that a helmet could prevent these, but it is only a minor tool in doing so. I would agree that the most important thing is fit, and having it on your head in the first place. I do not believe there is much difference in the injury rates of flip face vs full face helmets. Having said all this, I wear a full face primarily because they are quieter.

hlothery said:
This is only my third post, and I certainly do not want to cause trouble or make folks mad. As a 23 year veteran of the Army, who continues to practice medicine each day, I am familiar with the extensive qualifications of special forces medics, and respect them tremendously. I spent most of my time in the combat arms aid stations. I have also seen the devastating effects of many head injuries in my 28 years of medical practice. I must say, a subarachnoid hemorrhage is a real entity, and the most severe of head injuries...one which a patient is lucky to survive. It is much worse than a subdural, which is bad enough in itself. I wish that a helmet could prevent these, but it is only a minor tool in doing so. I would agree that the most important thing is fit, and having it on your head in the first place. I do not believe there is much difference in the injury rates of flip face vs full face helmets. Having said all this, I wear a full face primarily because they are quieter.

He's not an SF medic. I know some of them and they generally aren't big mouths. I think he had an EMT class or something.

Thanks for the support on the hemorrhage. Yes, I was lucky to survive. I don't mention that much. The funny part was that I was apparently making jokes and being funny right up to the moment that the pain hit. I was lucky that they made the correct diagnosis. It's usually missed in the field and that's what kills some people. Nitwits like SFDOC who think that they know it all and who miss important signs and kill people.

I'm lucky I lived. In my case there was a helmet problem. I'll show it to you if you like.

See you down the road.

gbm

KBasa said:
He didn't need a flip front so he could deal with his glasses would be my guess.

:doh

Now I get it!

I never have had a problem wearing glasses with a helmet - I guess if you wore them all the time a flip front would be better. Silly me. I wore contacts before my lasik. Thanks for clearing this up, 'Basa-nator :)

W0w

When I started this thread I dind't realize where it would go...we sort of lost my original objective which was a comparison of flip up helmets. So to you guys arging over the medical stuff, the way I figure it you buy your helmet, put your leg over the bike and take your chances. I just wanted to know opinions on the different flip ups. Anyways thanks to evrybody, and if I was confused before, what about now.

Steve
98 1100RT :banghead

gbmlaw said:
I think he had an EMT class or something.

Listen groucho.... (I know gbm well, so I can screw with him), let me give you a technical correction. This may not be how it is in the armed forces, but it is in the rest of the world.....

What you commonly refer to as an EMT is an EMT-A or EMT-B for ambulance or Basic life support. This takes many hours of class, practical in and ED and somethimes in the field, and testing. There are some other degrees of EMT that allow certain types of intubation and providing IV fluids. I don't know the status of the defibrillating, they were just coming out with self diagnosing defibrillators when I was in the field, now they have layperson defibrillators, but there used to be a category of EMT in my state that could defibrillate.

What you commonly refer to as a medic, or paramedic is an EMT-P for paramedic. So, you see, you make a distinction, medic vs EMT, but both are EMT's. And EMT-PÔÇÖs must first be EMT-A. All Take CPR but EMT-PÔÇÖs must also take things like ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) PHTLS (Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support) and in some states also PPHTLS (the extra P for Pediatric).

Of course, much of this may have changed in the 10 years since I was a CPR Instructor, EMT-A, EMT-P, PHTLS, ACLS, PPHTLS. Seems much more impressive than VP Finance or CPA..

Kill It For Our Sake

Drop this petty fight. GMBLAW...sorry to hear of your injuries. SFDOC...you are experienced in what you do. FOR THE RECORD...GBMLAW you came out swinging. Since intonation and meaning of particular posts can not be truly experienced in the cyber world lets just leave it be. You both have large egos that need stroking and both have an incessant need to get the last word. Thus my deduction of the large egos. It is cool. That is your personality. This fight has now bled over into other threads and is getting tiresome. And I just read this whole thread today. The old saying goes...opinions are like @$$holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. Don't be the stinky one. You two are so much alike you should be married. This thread has been reduced to what was information sharing about pros and cons to mudslinging that you find on tv during election. You both have served our country one way or the other and are both GREAT MEN. SFDOC thanks for making the attempt to apologize. That was big. But the last word needs from the two of you has made that small now.

Now.....LETS GET OUT AND RIDE INSTEAD OF SITTING IN AND TYPING.

BTW....I have an HJC Symax. It is what I could afford at the time. Bought it online. Lucky for me it fit well. Still a good helmet. Wrecked with it once. Head never hit the ground. Just body. LUCKY ME AGAIN.

PEACE

nyminute said:
When I started this thread I dind't realize where it would go...we sort of lost my original objective which was a comparison of flip up helmets. So to you guys arging over the medical stuff, the way I figure it you buy your helmet, put your leg over the bike and take your chances. I just wanted to know opinions on the different flip ups. Anyways thanks to evrybody, and if I was confused before, what about now.

Steve

On topic

I recently purchased a Nolan 100 + and I love it, not to much noise, room for speakers (cuts the noise even more) good fit.

Off topic

Flip up's may or may not be less effective in a crash, and some people may have lost thier life or sustained injury while wearing one but I will bet that flip up's are much better than nothing. I had a good friend that slipped getting out of the bathtub, broke his neck and is now a quadriplegic but I still take showers.

Jeff

Ps I ride in the summer with an open face :clap

My wife wears am HJC Symax, and her only complaint is from the noise she gets riding behind me. Indeed, the noise is a nusiance for me as well, coming though the speakers from our intercom system into my helmet. I have heard this is a common problem for all flip face helmets, but would like to hear what others may have experienced.

hlothery said:
My wife wears am HJC Symax, and her only complaint is from the noise she gets riding behind me. Indeed, the noise is a nusiance for me as well, coming though the speakers from our intercom system into my helmet. I have heard this is a common problem for all flip face helmets, but would like to hear what others may have experienced.

My wife has a Nolan and I do not have problems with noise through the intercom. I think that might be mic placement. Remember to get the maximum signal to noise, you almost want to be kissing the mic.

nyminute said:

Steve

All posturing aside, I just took possession of a Caberg xilix helmet. I have owned 2, BMW system helmets(schubert)which I dearly loved. But alas, these things wear out.

I used to own a Nolan, but the largest Nolan I could get was unable to conform to my odd shaped skull. After a few months, I gave it to one of my Harley riding buddies who never uses it.

The Caberg, the largest size they offer, is a winner for me. It vents well and fits better than any other lid I have owned.

BradfordBenn said:
Remember to get the maximum signal to noise, you almost want to be kissing the mic.

That's why I exclusively use the Shure SM57 with the proprietary Shure pop filter. When your mustache hairs touch the foam, you're definitely on the "sweet spot". ;)

I have used the BMW flip ups and that last one was a Nolan. The BMW were the best, the Nolan I have had about 5 years with little use. A coule weeks ago I went for a long weekend ride and this was the first time I had the Nolan on for long times. If I were one to ride with out a helmet I would have through this over one of the cliffs on AR highway 7. I will be looking for a new helmet. Flip ups have been real nice for people who have glass to wear.

Don

woodnsteel said:
That's why I exclusively use the Shure SM57 with the proprietary Shure pop filter. When your mustache hairs touch the foam, you're definitely on the "sweet spot". ;)

I might haffta try one of those...do they fit in the helmet nicely?

Egg head...figuratively AND literally!

I'm a new rider & just got a <i>Schuberth C2</i> as my first (modern era) helmet. I shopped around during training and afterwards, trying on different helmets. All the dealers were helpful and patient with me and I had a lot of opportunities to compare. The <i>Nolan</i> flip up didn't fit well. <i>Shoei Synchrotec</i> was better. The <i>C2</i> was best. I am told that it fits the longer, egg shaped heads better than the <i>Nolan</i> and this is certainly true in my case. I could easily pull off the <i>Nolan</i> but the <i>Schuberth</i> stayed fixed. I also liked the buckle and the integral sun visor. I wear bifocals and found that I couldn't wear my glasses and put on a full face without dislodging them. <p>I had a closed head injury during riding school (!) while wearing a full face <i>HJC</i> they provided in the class. Thankfully the injury was a minor one -- if any CHI can truly be described as <i>minor</I>.The helmet performed wonderfully but it is not, as others have pointed out so eloquently, capable of preventing all forms of injury. The whole experience was rather disturbing what with the with the flashing lights and sirens and so forth. The upshot is that I did not find the price of the Schuberth at all significant when I later purchased it. Indeed, the price of a <i>C2</i> is only about 1/4 of what it costs to have a head CT scan. Just FYI.

RichardCook said:
I'm a new rider

SNIP

The whole experience was rather disturbing what with the with the flashing lights and sirens and so forth. The upshot is that I did not find the price of the Schuberth at all significant when I later purchased it. Indeed, the price of a <i>C2</i> is only about 1/4 of what it costs to have a head CT scan. Just FYI.

I like the new C2 also. My line is how much brain surgery can you get for $500?

RichardCook said:
The whole experience was rather disturbing what with the with the flashing lights and sirens and so forth. The upshot is that I did not find the price of the Schuberth at all significant when I later purchased it. Indeed, the price of a <i>C2</i> is only about 1/4 of what it costs to have a head CT scan. Just FYI.

Glad to hear it was "only" disturbing. You seem to have the proper perspective on things!

:clap

Flip ups

Bell Helmet's advertising agency still said it best with the slogan, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.".

I have a German market Schuberth concept which fits my head perfectly. I love it. The German version liner can be sized in 1 mm increments, ie: 59-60, 60-61, etc to ensure an excellent fit. I do believe the US version only came in the standard US sizes, ie: Sm, Med, L, XL, XXL.

My previously favorite Shoei full face now rests comfortably in it's bag in the attic.

Friedle

Back