• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

flip up helmets comparison

TBonesR1100 said:
I've read through the threads and I can't see an overriding reason why I would use one over a traditional full face lid...Before I converted to Beemerism, I'd hang out at Marcus Dairy with my rice rocket buddies and watch the bmw riders cruise in with their lids "flipped up". After I bought my R1100S last year, I also shopped for a new helmet as my AGV was about 7 years old. I looked at the Schubert at my dealer and at the Arai's sitting next to them. I asked the sales guy the same question I pose here. He couldn't give me a good comfort or safety reason for going with the Schuberth.

I ended up with a Shoei RF1000 which I love - safe, comfortable and the ventilation works great...I can change shields in about 20 seconds with no tools.

Anyway, being an open-minded person, if someone can make a cogent case for a flip up versus what I have now, I'll reconsider...
On a hundred degree day, nothing better then flippin the lid at a stop sign or stop light.. even if for only a few seconds.. or stopping and talking with someone, without having to yell in your helmet for them to hear you..

itsbob2 said:
I have a Caberg.. and they are hard to come by. The dealer here, Motovation, insists they are the only dealer in the US that carries them. Not the case, but is the only brand of helmet they carry.

I like mine, it feels weighless on my head, and after 20 hours it was still comfortable in 100+ heat.. tonight I wore it in 40 cold, and just as comfortable.. antifog vent worked well, and helmet was warm with no additional liners.. Liner is removable, and easy to wash, helmet is easy to maintain, visors inner and outer are both easy to replace and if you want you can remove the chin bar, and make it a 3/4 helmet.. Locking mechanism for the chin bar is metal on metal and feels and seats very secure, although it is possible to THINK it is secured when it isn't.. I've got into the habit of pulling the chin bar up to make sure it's locked.

Oh, and if you have a Jay Leno type chin forget Caberg.. My chin touches the chin guard.. but not uncomfortable.

That was originally a Jarrow. Identical. New name. They are available from most dealers, but not necessarily in stock.

I've had a Schoei, Nolan and now a Schuberth.

So far I like the Nolan best. Why, my head hit a wooden gaurdrail post shortly after a near 50 mph lowside. The helmet took an incredible impact. I was out for a bit. The ER doc was looking at the helmet and my CAT scans and couldn't believe he did not see anything to say I had a concussion. The left side of the helmet was cracked and had caved in some, the hinge exploded but the front stayed down and latched.

Last edited:
BouncinBob said:
I've had a Schoei, Nolan and now a Schuberth.

So far I like the Nolan best. Why, my head hit a wooden gaurdrail post shortly after a near 50 mph lowside. The helmet took an incredible impact. I was out for a bit. The ER doc was looking at the helmet and my CAT scans and couldn't believe he did even see enough to say I had a concussion. The left side of the helmet was cracked and had caved in some, the hinge exploded but the front stayed down and latched.

Holy cow...the hinge "exploded"??

BouncinBob said:
OK maybe exploded is a bit strong.... I'll charge up the camara and post a pic.

Had a charged battery

Attachments

• NolanHingeSmall.jpg
    NolanHingeSmall.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 427
SFDOC said:
Thread Hijack

The DMV offices around the country should collect helmets and build a shelf around the office, with a sign that says,

"These helmets saved the life of the people who were wearing them"
"Sorry, we don't have any of the heads of the dead people who didn't"

When I was trying to figure out what to do with the helmet, someone suggested I go to an ABATE meeting. :D

Helmet

I've owned a couple of flip-ups. My favorite is the new BMW/Schuberth which I picked up in Belgium. This helmet is a bit different than the Schuberth offering here in the states. Peripheral vision is great, latch works very well. Too bad that BMW does not import it. Bottom line, its all in the fit. I would not buy a helmet without trying it on. This means trying on the actual helmet which you are going to buy, not an example. Go to a shop offering a number of brands, try them in a side by side comparison. You may pay a few dollars more, but you will earn the money back in a month. One man's favorite might be your curse. Personally, I don't think that there is a bad helmet in any of the top brands.
Does anybody have one of the strapless Schuberth helmets? I bought one years ago, really like it. I don't know if they are still in production. Quiet to the max!! In fact so quiet, that one feels a bit detached from the world. Seems almost airtight, but does not pinch. I initially had a bit of claustrophobia when putting it on, but got over it. That may have been the design's downfall.

Motard
R1150GS
R50

Don't know if the helmet is really better, just different in a few ways. I checked our Schuberth offering and liked the european version better. I keep a complete set of gear at a friends house in Belgium, saves lugging it back and forth. I tried the helmet on a whim and liked it so well that I shelled out the hefty price. (with the poor dollar, a very steep price) I wore it for a week and again liked it so well that I brought it back. I've read other posts here mentioning the lid. Maybe someone in your area has one which you could check out and determine if the search is worthwhile. Isn't there a dealer in Canada advertising in ON? I can imagine that he would not ship to the states. Might require a road trip. Sounds like a good ride to me.

Motard
R1150GS
R50

Thanks for the info on the flip ups, I had been thinking about getting one, it's nice to have free advice from someone who isn't trying to sell you something.

I get the Magazine "Motorcyclist" and they've had a few articles recently about SNELL ratings vs DOT only ratings. They looked at common causes of impact based on the HURT report (slow rate of speed, close to home, etc.) and resulting traumatic brain injury. I guess some folks were upset about the implications of their conclusions regarding SNELL. I was wondering what you all might think, if any of you got a chance to read those articles.

BouncinBob said:
Had a charged battery

wow..I think if that were my noggin in there I wouldve come to the same conclusion, BouncinBob. So is that a show N tell trophy or do you still wear it??

mcclimans84rt said:
wow..I think if that were my noggin in there I wouldve come to the same conclusion, BouncinBob. So is that a show N tell trophy or do you still wear it??

Still wear that, no! It sits on a shelf in the garage as a reminder, mostly to my son and his fearless friends. The shelf is right over the dirt bike. A couple years ago it surprised the heck out of my son. He came home with helmet in hand, shepish about something. He held it up and professed how sorry he was it got the marks from the rocks when he went over the bars. His expession went to shock when I took it and tossed it in the garbage can and told him we were off to get a new one without being the least bit upset. I hope he remembers that day.

I had actually expected the Insurance guy to take it, I guess he was confident I wouldn't use it again. So there it sits.

Honu said:
Thanks for the info on the flip ups, I had been thinking about getting one, it's nice to have free advice from someone who isn't trying to sell you something.

I get the Magazine "Motorcyclist" and they've had a few articles recently about SNELL ratings vs DOT only ratings. They looked at common causes of impact based on the HURT report (slow rate of speed, close to home, etc.) and resulting traumatic brain injury. I guess some folks were upset about the implications of their conclusions regarding SNELL. I was wondering what you all might think, if any of you got a chance to read those articles.

Hey Honu! it was nice meeting you at the fungal ride. If you search helmets, you will find we discussed it for a while.

1 down 2 to go

Yesterday at the Venture BMW open house I finally tried a Shuberth, it definetly is a cool helmet, after trying on both an XL (this one felt a litle too tight all over especially chin area) & XXL (a tad looser but still tight in the chin area,it wasnt uncomfortable in shop and the drop down sunglass thingy is super cool,I just didnt think I'd like that part touching my chin al the time). So now If someone in the LA area had the Caberg ant the new Nolan 102's Id have a shot at deciding.....anyhow thanks foe the continuing discussion, cool stuff.

Steve
981100 RT

KBasa said:
I think Fran was killed by a SNAFU at the hospital, not her bike accident.

She was being treated for the concussion, and suffered a med error, but Bob Higdon cites "A helmet that should not fail failed, but she was otherwise injured only slightly" He does not mention brand.

<Bob Higdon cites "A helmet that should not fail failed, but she was otherwise injured only slightly">

Failed in what way? IIRC Fran Crane did not die as a direct result of her motorcycling injuries but from a major error in medication at the hospital.

Your helmet does not make you invulnerable, it merely reduces the chance of brain injury and/or the need for cosmetic work post-crash.

Steve

At risk of belaboring, if a flip latch is a potential vulnerability point, I'll stick to a dedicated full-face and avoid that risk. It is all about risk management.

iRene said:
At risk of belaboring, if a flip latch is a potential vulnerability point, I'll stick to a dedicated full-face and avoid that risk. It is all about risk management.

That is of course a personal choice. The point of my [pictures was to show the damage to the hinge. The hidge held and the helmet stayed latched.

Head Protection

iRene, (and IÔÇÖm not picking on you personally) I don't doubt that you have your opinion and some historical perspective, but IMHonestO and years of crashing everything from BMX bicycles, AMA motocross, ISDE woods riding, and a few high speed and low speed get offs on the street: (With both open face and full faced helmets.) There is little to debate whether a full face or flip-up-full face is better than say an old fashioned open face helmet. The part that protects your head in an impact has nothing to do with a chin guard or flip-open visor/screen, although they do a better job of keeping your nose and chin out of trouble.

When helmet manufactures began making a plastic chin-guard in the ÔÇÿ70s; fastened to the corners of open-faced helmets to provide more protection to the riders face from flying debris there were those dyed in the wool fans that believed a certain number of never before neck injuries where a result of the chin-guard. So the AMA allowed the continued use of 'Scotts' Mouth/Chin Guards and Full-Face Goggle shields with an open face helmet. 25-years later, you would be hard pressed to find anyone in competition wearing an open faced helmet?

The flip-up full faced helmet is nothing more than a convenience, and a better alterative to the open faced helmets still worn by the cruiser and touring (Gold Wing) market of riders.

As for the designated full faced helmets used by the road racing, sport touring, and the other serious folks who give up a little convenience for better crash protection, that is a debatable question. It probably has more to do with the sanctioning body "AMA or FIM" than whether the helmets are safer or not. Why have, or allow extra moving parts to a safety device that more than likely will be tested in a real crash on a race course, not the remote possibility over 10s of thousands of accident free miles on the street.

I think the realistic answer to why a flip up over permanent full face coverage is cost and protection from the elements not a planned or intended crash.

The latest study of protection levels offered by helmet manufactures and the DOT is that any helmet (from $69.00 to $1000.00) will provide the wearer with adequate head protection in an ÔÇ£AVERAGE CRASHÔÇØ if the helmet properly fits, is worn, and the chin strap is properly fastened. Everything else is cosmetic, and form over function.

The only helmet that wonÔÇÖt protect you is the one not worn.

If a flip-up design fractures open on a hard impact and the hinges break; the helmet probably absorbed more of the impact than the head inside. If the wearer of a molded full face is subjected to the same forces those forces will be transferred to the head inside and the neck conecting the head and body.

In most all conscious level (no loss of consciousness ((LOC)) crashes the head may make contact with the ground once, because it is heavy, after that the body will protect it with arms and hands. The exception is contact on the fall and then subsequent contact with stationary objects along the path of the crash.

In the LOC crash it will make repeated contact after the LOC event occurs (First impact or secondary impact with stationary object), and the helmet will sustain multiple strikes with everything until movement ceases.

In the EMS field it relatively easy to tell whether the patient sustained an LOC event based on relative finding of helmet damage or abrasions to hands and arms.

Just a thought on this debate, FWIW :dunno

iRene said:
She was being treated for the concussion, and suffered a med error, but Bob Higdon cites "A helmet that should not fail failed, but she was otherwise injured only slightly" He does not mention brand.

Fran was wearing a Nolan flip-front.

gbm

Back