• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

flip up helmets comparison

My Schuberth is sized both in cm and US standard sizes i.e. 63cm & XXL.
I have no complaints about it. It's quiet, fits well and has a unique chin feature that is great for winter.

Breeze

Sorry, I'm kinda comingin on this late. My biggest problem with a flip-up is the possiablity of it coming open, which is possiable as experianced with some members. I like my face to much! As far as the lasik question, it's a matter of your cornea taking a LONG time to heal especially with Lasik. You have a "flap" of cornia that takes at least a year to fully heal, this is why the military routinly uses PRK vs. Lasik (I had the PRK done). Theu don't want a soldier in the field losing his "flap" and not being able to see very well. That would be my problem with a flip-up, IF you wear it open while riding.

I have to say a quick thing on SFDOC, he is what he says(Spec Forces Medic\Paramedic). How do I know? I'm a USCG Medic and had a couple of long talks with him about different medical issues, I don't think an EMT basic would know that. As a USCG medic, I diagnose, prescribe meds and treat anything in between. I'd say I'm somewhere between a Nurse and Physician Assistant (PA), but I've never had to treat anyone under GUNFIRE!

I would like to extend a HUGE thank you to all of our Veterans, I don't know if I could do what some of you have had to do!

Chris, Health Services Technician First Class USCG
Proudly serving on the USCG Cutter Steadfast floating around the Pacific Ocean right now. (so, it might take me a couple to respond to anyone)

flips

I've been trying on different flips for a number of years and picked up a Nolan 100 E in Australia last summer. The fit is perfect. It is way more convenient to use than my old fixed full face, and my only concern is that it seems noisier. At speeds above 115 km/hr, I can't hear the radar detector signals through my mini blaster speakers, so I'll have to replace them with etymotics. No big deal. There is a pronounced click when the chin guard comes down, so I am not worried about it not engaging.
Incidentally, an acquaintance of mine crashed with a (flip) Symax last year, and he figures it saved his life.

Caberg works for me

nyminute said:
So I've decided to try a flip up helmet, dilemma cant find a dealer that carries the Nolan,Caberg,and what seems to be overpriced Schuberth. ...
Steve
981100RT

Just scanned through this thread. It seems some people are more concerned with promoting their position than giving advice. That being said, here's my two cents:

I rode with a Nolan for 5 years and had no complaints with it. I'll avoid the debate over safety and just say I enjoy having a flip up. What I really wanted in a new helmet was the built in sun visor that I could only find in Caberg or Shuberth. I see that Nolan now offers one but it sits on the outside (in the bug flow). Caberg dealers are scarce. I first tried one on at the Spokane Rally, liked it but had to wait for the Lima Rally to buy one. I almost broke down and paid the extra for the Shuberth untill I tried it on. It fit ok but the sun shield is cut straight across the bottom and leaves alot of room for light and glare off the road. The Caberg sunsheild curves around your nose and gives much more eye protection. It also looks cooler (just like a jet fighter pilot! ;)). The Caberg also fits me better and is quieter than the Nolan. Of course, fit may just be a function of the shape of my head. All I can say is the Caberg works great for me.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Back