• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

flip up helmets comparison

N

nyminute

So I've decided to try a flip up helmet, dilemma cant find a dealer that carries the Nolan,Caberg,and what seems to be overpriced Schuberth. So before I go driving 1n 3 different directions wondered if you had any peresonal experiences with them. Also thanks for the Tank bag suggestions still working on that one too.

Steve
981100RT

I have a Shuberth.. It cost more but it was the only one that fit my odd shaped head. The Nolan seemed like it was for rounder shaped heads.. You need to try them all on since all of them fit and size differently

The fit is the most important part. Number 1, bar none. After that comes other stuff, like price and noise level and color and other stuff. If the helmet does not fit properly it does not matter the brand.

Having said that I have a Scheuberth that is gathering dust cause it is loud. I now just wear my Arai Quantum.

The Nolan was too tight in front. The Shoei was OK but priced high compared to the HJC which I ended up with. the HJC fit my head great. I haven't tried a Shuberth, but I understand the retaining screws for the visor have a tendency to come off when least expected. :)

Tried the Nolan and it fit great until I rode with it then I hated it. The plastic buckle thing was to uncomfortable to ride with I also found the cool flip down tinted shield a waste. It will only stay in the full up or full down position which split my line of site.

What ever helmet you try you should go and sit on a bike in the riding position and play with all of the features. This may sound silly but if I had done this with the Nolan I would have never bought it.

Do some searches...

...especially here in the "Gear Forum". There are several threads where helmets are discussed.

That said, I own a Nolan N100E. I've posted my opinion of it a few times here, but I'll do it again in this thread.

What I like:

- Fits me very well, is very comfortable.
- I actually like the snap mechanism
- Pretty good venting.

What I don't like:

- Turns out I really don't "need" a flip helmet. I only flip it up when I take it off or put it on. It's a feature I neither need nor appreciate.

- Mine is LOUD. Too loud for comfort, even with ear plugs. I suspect the wind rushes in around the hinges. If you're traveling freeway speeds, and happen to have a sidewind, it's unbearable.

Mine is now 5 years old, and has a lot of miles on it. I'm going to gift myself with a new helmet next spring, it will most likely be a Shoei or an Arai, depending on fit. It will not be a flip type.

There was a comparo in Rider a couple of months back. Evaluated things like plastic vs. metal latches, air flow and noise. Don't remember who did best but do remember the Shoei did pretty good. I would not buy a flip up just because I want my chin bar to stay put. Heard too many horror stories.

First off let me echo this sentiment. The top three priorities are fit, fit, and fit.

That said, I have no personal experience other than trying them on in the store, but the salesman at my dealership says that, in his opinion, the newer Schuberth is far and away the best of the flip ups. But when I tried it on it just didn't fit my head as well as a Shoei. After a few minutes with it on in the store I could feel what would certainly be hot points after an hour on the road. So, I'll stick with Shoei. But, I've heard that Shoei's flip up helmet is a relatively old design, so if you want a Shoei flip up perhaps you should wait until they're newer one comes out (whenever that'll be). So, I'll just keep my trusty butt ugly yellow RF-1000 until the new Shoei flip up is available to try.

Hi..first post!
I've got the shoei synchrotec and although it hasn't seen any updates in a while it's a great flip-up. I've also used a Nolan N100 (older model without the one-handed operation) and the Shoei just has a much more solid feel. After several years of use the latching mechanism still works perfect every time, as compared to the Nolan which became so creaky over time that it became difficult to open or close. The other nice thing about the Shoei is how easy the faceshield removal is..pull a lever and the shield releases.. I swap between tinted and regular faceshields, which BTW shoei faceshields are carried just about anywhere helmets are sold. It's quiet compared to the Nolan too. Downside is the shoei is expensive, but definitely worth it IMO.

Thanks, now I know I,m going to have to try them all on, talk the shops to letting me take them to my bike.maybe even a test ride...you think they'll go for that. Nobody has mentioned the caberg2. Anybody have it...love to know cause no local shop even carries it.

Steve
98 1100rt

MarkF said:
There was a comparo in Rider a couple of months back. Evaluated things like plastic vs. metal latches, air flow and noise. Don't remember who did best but do remember the Shoei did pretty good. I would not buy a flip up just because I want my chin bar to stay put. Heard too many horror stories.

Really?

Let's hear some.

Documented, of course.

lkchris said:
Really?

Let's hear some.

Documented, of course.

gbm had one come apart when he crashed last year on the way to the RA rally. He hit a deer and his Jarow popped open.

Do a search for flip up helmets and you'll probably turn up the thread.

And again, google "Fran Crane." I don't believe the manufacturer of her helmet was mentioned in Bob Higdon's eulogy, though.

iRene said:
And again, google "Fran Crane." I don't believe the manufacturer of her helmet was mentioned in Bob Higdon's eulogy, though.

I think Fran was killed by a SNAFU at the hospital, not her bike accident.

Why Flip ups?

I've read through the threads and I can't see an overriding reason why I would use one over a traditional full face lid...Before I converted to Beemerism, I'd hang out at Marcus Dairy with my rice rocket buddies and watch the bmw riders cruise in with their lids "flipped up". After I bought my R1100S last year, I also shopped for a new helmet as my AGV was about 7 years old. I looked at the Schubert at my dealer and at the Arai's sitting next to them. I asked the sales guy the same question I pose here. He couldn't give me a good comfort or safety reason for going with the Schuberth.

I ended up with a Shoei RF1000 which I love - safe, comfortable and the ventilation works great...I can change shields in about 20 seconds with no tools.

Anyway, being an open-minded person, if someone can make a cogent case for a flip up versus what I have now, I'll reconsider...

My HJC

Getting serious about motorcycling two years ago, finances were (and are) an issue and the HJC at Big Twin fit well enough. So in two years and almost 20k miles, I'm pleased with the closure, ventilation, ease of changing visors (no tools, really quick). I don't ride with the chin bar up because even at relatively slow speeds it becomes a sail. At quick gas stops, the chin bar comes up and I have adequate range of motion and vision for a comportable pit stop. The visor is easy to open and can be expected to remain at the selected amount of opening, exept at high speeds, at which point is closes gently down to about 1 inch. In all incliment weather, I can open it a crack for adequate humidity/fogging removal. A friend that I have learned to trust for his good advise told me of a review/compare article in which the HJC was found to be superior

They only complaint I have about the HJC is probably also true of the helmet industry: I hung the helmet on the underseat helmet hook and the right strap was ruined by the heat of the muffler (lesson learned). The company does not repair nor replace chin straps. I went to REI, purchased the tube strap stock, and took it to my local saddle shop which used an antique treddle sewing machine to do a really great job. Chances are that the DOT rating is affected, although I feel just as safe, etc.

I'm assuming that the story I heard is accurate: the company won't replace straps following many experiences of straps being cut to steal the helmet and then just getting the strap repaired! makes the company an assessory, I guess.

I own two Nolan N100 helmets: one is just over 5yrs old (and beginning to smell) and the other is less than 2 months old. I have to say that after trying on a whole bunch of different helmets, this was by far the most comfortable and functional helmet out there for my needs. As above, I'll post some impressions and opinions based on experience:

PROS
ÔÇó easy flip-up: the new model has one-finger flip which makes it all that much easier to flip up the full face. It locks in the full-up position and doesn't move unless I bang my head into things.

ÔÇó removable ear pads: in both helmets, as well as my brother's Nolan (and 2 other friends), I have wired in a set of Sony headphones and zip-tied the jack to the back of the helmet within the liner. I can now plug my iPod or radio into it and have music on the go. This, obviously, cuts down on any other "road noise" that might be otherwise present.

ÔÇó tinted visors: on the older one I am running an iridium visor which is well tinted for day riding, and yet clear enough to ride with it at night in the city without any problems. On the newer one I'm using a dark smoke visor, and it's really good! The new one also has the anti-fog shield inside, and that really makes it functional - especially now that it's so much colder outside!

ÔÇó 3-stage visor flip: unlike most other helmets that either have a full-up and full-down lock for the visor, or a series of stepped points to prop open the shield, this one has two preset points (neither of which obstructs my line of sight) and then a full-up lock. With the visor down, you can also lock it down with a side button.

ÔÇó it has a HUGE field of vision: probably the wisest angle visor opening of any helmet I've ever seen!! Nevermind that I can put it on while wearing my prescription or sunglasses, but it has ample room inside for them AND it allows for excellent peripheral vision.

CONS
ÔÇó somewhat loud (without the music) and once in a while there's an odd draft that gets in. It's not through the chin (the helmet comes with a fantastic chin guard) so I'll assume, like the other guy did, that it comes through the hinges. I know for the wind noise at the visor there are a couple of penny fixes online (I've come across at least two so far, both fast and quite effective) and although this has never bothered me while riding (especially the draft: it defogs my glasses!) there are some people that dislike that.

ÔÇó bulky and large: compared to Shoei or Arai, this helmet is a bit on the large size. In fact, with my old one (wineberry colour), I look like an astronaut. The new one is flat black and doesn't look as huge - but it still feels oversized.

ÔÇó aerodynamics: my brother complained about his head bopping side to side when riding behind a large rig on his Katana. I have been riding large metric cruisers with huge windscreens and I've never had that problem; now on my BMW R1200GS, also with a Cee Bailey screen, I can almost see what he means - but then again, show me any one helmet that would keep your head still when riding behind a speeding transport on the highway. Even the race AGV and OGK helmets don't help....

ÔÇó liner washing: the new one has a partially removable liner, but the older Nolan model is pretty much stuck. I don't know what to do to get the 5yrs worth of riding smells out of it, short of immersing it into the laundry tub that's filled with detergent and Febreeze...

CONCLUSIONS
I'd but another on the spot if one of these two busted. The combination of easy flip + music + tint + eyewear friendliness makes it an ideal product. Two thumbs up, for sure.

minidisco said:
I own two Nolan N100 helmets: one is just over 5yrs old (and beginning to smell) and the other is less than 2 months old. .

I buy some 70 or 90 % rubbing alcohol (unscented) and saturate a towel with it and rub out the inside of the helmet with it about every two weeks or so.

nyminute said:
Thanks, now I know I,m going to have to try them all on, talk the shops to letting me take them to my bike.maybe even a test ride...you think they'll go for that. Nobody has mentioned the caberg2. Anybody have it...love to know cause no local shop even carries it.

Steve
98 1100rt
I have a Caberg.. and they are hard to come by. The dealer here, Motovation, insists they are the only dealer in the US that carries them. Not the case, but is the only brand of helmet they carry.

I like mine, it feels weighless on my head, and after 20 hours it was still comfortable in 100+ heat.. tonight I wore it in 40 cold, and just as comfortable.. antifog vent worked well, and helmet was warm with no additional liners.. Liner is removable, and easy to wash, helmet is easy to maintain, visors inner and outer are both easy to replace and if you want you can remove the chin bar, and make it a 3/4 helmet.. Locking mechanism for the chin bar is metal on metal and feels and seats very secure, although it is possible to THINK it is secured when it isn't.. I've got into the habit of pulling the chin bar up to make sure it's locked.

Oh, and if you have a Jay Leno type chin forget Caberg.. My chin touches the chin guard.. but not uncomfortable.

Back