• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wrecked, have question about new RT BMW tank bag attachment

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
In the Mottorad area, I describe my present wrecked situation. I may need to buy a 2016 RT as a replacement for the 2011 RT if it is written off.

A couple of questions for owners of the new models of RT:

1) I have a BMW quick-attach tank bag (I bought this with the 2011 bike), will it fit the new RTs?

2) I have a Givi top box and the mounting plate fits the 2011 back rack, which is flatter, maybe, and larger, maybe, than the newer RTs. Did not look really closely at this when looking at the new model, but that's the impression I came back with.

Trying to get as much info as I can before meeting the adjuster at the dealer tomorrow, likely in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

The tank bag doesn't fit and that's the deal killer for me when it comes to the new RT. BMW abandoning the best tankbag solution in the history of tankbags is unfathomable.

The tank bag doesn't fit and that's the deal killer for me when it comes to the new RT. BMW abandoning the best tankbag solution in the history of tankbags is unfathomable.

Well, it won't be a deal killer. It will be a pain to have a new system. It was super convenient to use at gas stops, pee breaks to take valuables inside, and other situations. It is unfathomable, as you said. And, expensive for a new style.

But thanks for the info. I was suspicious of that, just could not remember exactly. I seemed to recall a bare tank top on the new RTs....

BMW TankBag Fitting

The new tank bag fitting is not as easy to use as that on the Hexhead and Camhead RTs. It relies on a small metal piece affixed to the T27 bolt just to the rear of the fork and two velcro straps which are affixed to little rectangular holes in the seat height adjustment fitting. Velcro straps are used to secure these pieces. The bag itself curves over the top of the tank, and black nylon straps keep it in place. Tension on the rear straps keeps it tight to the bike.

The interior of the new bag is improved with the waterproof membrane now closed by a roll-top/clip arrangement similar to a kayak dry bag.

Seems easy enough to use for fuel stops, etc. Requires opening three clips to remove the bag from the bike. However, the old design was easier.

Rear rack is the same I think as the 2013 and older bmw top cases fit fine and the 2014 and newer.

I got the impression the rear rack was smaller. The mounting rack for the Givi I have fit the 2011 just fine. That older bike rear rack seemed to be flat(ter) than the 2013 I saw long ago. I seem to remember seeing a longitudinal line on the rack with the rack sloping to the side from that line both left and right. I am concerned the flat Givi plate won't fit. Any comments?

I got the impression the rear rack was smaller. The mounting rack for the Givi I have fit the 2011 just fine. That older bike rear rack seemed to be flat(ter) than the 2013 I saw long ago. I seem to remember seeing a longitudinal line on the rack with the rack sloping to the side from that line both left and right. I am concerned the flat Givi plate won't fit. Any comments?
I'd have to look at mine but without a side by side reference I'd hate to give you bad info. All I can say for sure is the older top case fits the new bike but if course that doesn't mean the giving rack will bolt on. Sorry not to be more helpful.

I'd have to look at mine but without a side by side reference I'd hate to give you bad info. All I can say for sure is the older top case fits the new bike but if course that doesn't mean the giving rack will bolt on. Sorry not to be more helpful.

That's fine. I may have to sell the tank bag and top case privately, then buy new.

The older bag doesn't attach to the new Wethead. I like the BMW tank bag with one key exception, the map case. The map case is too small and no way to keep waterproof (no rain cover). I have given up keeping maps in it. It not that big of deal since I don't use a map as much as I have in the past and when needed I always have one in the top case.

Lot's of options in the aftermarket to consider.

Jay

Try a tank bag that fit to gas cap

I have a old Marsee from my 2007 K1200GT moved to 2015 R1200RT, mounts to gas cap ring.
There are a few types out there.
Mine comes off easily with a 1/4 turn.

The top case is the same but it is a bear to rekey, you have to dismantle the case to get to it. The new keyless start fob key works same as the reg key.

Ron

My top case is a Givi, with a mounting plate.

The electric top case is said to be $1600 and I think you also have to have the Central Locking option which is several hundreds of dollars. A bit too too expensive for the functionality.

Back