Thread: Craig Vetter injured

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Craig Vetter injured

I've just received an email from a former co-worker of critcal injuries sustained by Craig when his Streamliner hit a deer Thursday afternoon.

Right before noon today, Craig hit a deer while riding the streamliner. We are at Natividad in Salinas. He is still unconscious They will keep him sedated because of the breathing tube down his throat. He just got moved to ICU. I saw him move his right arm. All the bones around his left eye are broken. Eye ball still in place. Head trauma, broken clavicle and most ribs on his left side too.
    An update from his wife Carol.

Hi all, Carol here. This is day three for Craig. All his numbers are going the way they should. He has a brace on his neck to steady his head because of a C2 fracture. We are hoping to avoid surgery. He has some swelling in his brain so they decreased the sedation and he started wiggling around as we hoped. He is not in a coma.. Looking forward to removing the ventilator down his throat which helps him breathe. All the ribs on his left side are broken so breathing will be painful. Hoping he will wake up today so we can talk to him. It will be a slow process, but he will recover. I am so grateful for all the love and care and prayers. Thank you all so much. This is a great trauma center. We could be here for many weeks. I'm praying we won't be.
    Prayers to all.

He's been into high-mileage stuff for years.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I never met him but liked his vision and products.
    Hope for the best.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

GOD's GRACE to YOU Craig......amen

We heard him speak at the Lima Rally Sunday morning service. Really a great guy, y'all pray for him!
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Like many here, I had one of his fairings in the mid 70's

Very creative guy.

I'm hoping he heals up well.

Via con Dios Craig

Hang tough brother

Thanks for posting the regular updates - hope things continue to improve

From Duane:

Got an update from Zak Vetter last night. In general, Craig is improving in nearly all aspects. He is able to make more sense talking, his moving is better and he performs his physical therapy tasks better each day.

He only is able to eat maybe 1/2 of what he needs. He gets the rest through his stomach tube.

He is in a good place and he likes it a lot. They take very good care of him and Carol is quite happy with the new arrangement at this hospital.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Another one today, this one passed on by Duane from Carol, Craig's wife:

Busy, busy, busy, I am learning to get away from the hospital. When Craig comes home in two weeks, it will be harder for me to have my own time.

He is walking better, learning to stand and sit using the walker, they took the catheter out hoping to get his bladder working. Still has a tube in his stomach because heís not eating much. And, itís not because the food isnít good. Itís quite good. His balance is bad, but then again so is his hearing. Heís probably only got 10% hearing. We are working on getting ENT back. His therapy is severely hampered by the fact that he canít hear.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Saw this from Duane today:

I got some good news from Zak last evening. Craig is generally doing well and improving day to day. Here is an example. A family friend was in his room for only 30 seconds as he was being moved to his physical therapy. They didnít even speak. That afternoon Craig mentioned to Carol that he had seen Larry in the morning. He actually remembered the short sighting of Larry. That is big.

About the schedule of sending him home in two weeks, both Carol and Zak are doubtful that Craig can do it. The hospital still hasnít removed his ear blockage of ear wax, so he is still nearly deaf. A local friend who is a Dr. has been asking why and gets no answer. Instead, they have mounted speakers next to his ears so that he gets some amplification of conversation.

From Duane:

Just spoke with Zak and he reports that Craig is much better today. He ate 75% of his food, instead of the 30-40% from the past few days. He seems nearly normal in conversation and needs far less help. He was excited to hear that the roof of a rental house got finished today and asked for photos.