• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Resetting the clock on the 1200GS

mistercindy

I've read the owners manual, and pressed the rubbery button for two seconds waiting for the clock to start blinking in set mode. But nothing ever happens. I've tried it with the ignition in every position, with the bike's engine on and off, and in several gears plus neutral, pressing gently and with a lot of weight on it, and still, nothing happens.

Is there a trick I'm missing, or do you suppose my clock reset button simply doesn't work?

I've read the owners manual, and pressed the rubbery button for two seconds waiting for the clock to start blinking in set mode. But nothing ever happens. I've tried it with the ignition in every position, with the bike's engine on and off, and in several gears plus neutral, pressing gently and with a lot of weight on it, and still, nothing happens.

Is there a trick I'm missing, or do you suppose my clock reset button simply doesn't work?

If you figured this out let me know how it works. I did not get the owners manual with my 05 GS so I have not figured out how to set my clock:banghead

2 ways to do it

Hi,

First way to do it it to press the reset button for more than 5 seconds.
2nd way is to disconnect the battery terminals but you should try the first option.

Cheers

Denis R1200RT (former GS owner):brad

Hi,

First way to do it it to press the reset button for more than 5 seconds.
2nd way is to disconnect the battery terminals but you should try the first option.

Cheers

Denis R1200RT (former GS owner):brad

what he said has always worked for me

I can do mine anytime, but you have to hold the rubberized button for more than 2 seconds to get it started.

36K-miles-2.jpg

Hold the button until the hours start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the hours stop blinking, release it.

Hold the button until the minutes start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the minutes stop blinking, release it.

Done.

Jim :brow

I can do mine anytime, but you have to hold the rubberized button for more than 2 seconds to get it started.

Hold the button until the hours start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the hours stop blinking, release it.

Hold the button until the minutes start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the minutes stop blinking, release it.

Done.

What Jim said. Nothin' to it.

what he said has always worked for me

The pita of it all is that the last push of the button to lock the hour, adds another hour to the display...:banghead The same w/ minutes!

It takes some getting used to, and how often does one adjust/set the time? :dunno Not exactly intuitive.

Len

The pita of it all is that the last push of the button to lock the hour, adds another hour to the display...:banghead The same w/ minutes!

It takes some getting used to, and how often does one adjust/set the time? :dunno Not exactly intuitive.

Len

That's odd, it never has for me.:dunno

I have noticed that there is a slight delay of maybe a fraction of a second between pressing the button and the number actually changing, so maybe that's what Len has had trouble with.

I just wait untill it is 12:00 then I disconnect the battery......:laugh

Wow! Can't believe this was resuscitated after more than two years!!! Well, I figured it out. Sort of...

It turns out that the button to reset the clock was bad so the the whole cluster had to be replaced in order to get a clock that could be reset. Thankfully it was under warranty. But still, it seems like a major design flaw when the entire cluster needs to be replaced because of a faulty clock.

BTW, I bought the bike (an '05 12GS) used with 12,065 miles on it at a dealership on October 22, 2005. Note the date of this thread: October 25, 2005, just three days after I bought it. Daylight savings time ended that week, and that's why I noticed it. For all I know the clock hadn't worked since the bike was brand new. I eventually got the new cluster around a month later when it had 13,181 miles on it. The dealership couldn't (or wouldn't) set the odometer to 13,181, so mine always reads 13,181 miles less that it ought to. Shouldn't be a big deal, I know, but I'm anal retentive about crap like that so it pisses me off. That, and for as long as I own this bike I'm going to be skeptical about that damn cluster. Probably not fair, but there you go. Otherwise I love the bike.

Odometer set!?

Some states apparently have laws, requiring the odometer be set at the miles it broke or stopped working, when replaced. California must, because my pickup truck did this and they had to set the miles, as actual miles when the odometer stopped working, when the dealer ordered the new unit. It was electronic also. I wonder if it can be done on the BMW unit? Unknown quantity. Randy13233:usa

It turns out that the button to reset the clock was bad so the the whole cluster had to be replaced in order to get a clock that could be reset. Thankfully it was under warranty. But still, it seems like a major design flaw when the entire cluster needs to be replaced because of a faulty clock.

Same thing on my F650GS. I thought it was dumb then also. Nice to know that nothing has changed.

clock reseet

clock is incorrect setting following 600 mile service :( pressing rubber button w/ clock showing on display for any amount of time does not place any number in a blinking mode. K1200S. Any thughts?

tony

Wow! This old thread of mine keeps getting re-born!

clock is incorrect setting following 600 mile service :( pressing rubber button w/ clock showing on display for any amount of time does not place any number in a blinking mode. K1200S. Any thughts?

tony
I'm assuming if you're doing the 600 miles service then you're still in warranty. Take it back. If they can't fix it, and yours is designed like the R bikes (and I think they are) then you may need to get a new cluster to fix the problem. Seems like a relatively uncommon thing, but this thread shows that its happened to at least two bikes.

BTW, my "new" cluster has gone 29,000 miles in 2 1/2 years in all manner of weather, and the clock and everything else on the cluster has worked perfectly.

Clock

Exactly what I get when I press the button.... nothing....

Back