• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shorter Windshield

yez216

I have a 2014 1200RT with the low seat on the higher setting. I'm short at 5'6".
I'm looking for a shorter windscreen to aim more air at my helmet (for ventilation) during the summer months.
With the stock windscreen at the lowest setting, airflow hits about mid helmet causing noise and some buffeting. If I raise the windshield about a 1/3 of it's adjustment from the bottom, the noise and buffeting stops but I get no airflow.

I thought about the Sport Screen from Cee Baileys but figured I would get some opinions from here before I purchased.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

You might not want to do this, but if your pretty good with a jig saw you can always cut the windscreen down to the height you want. Mark the windscreen and put masking tape on both sides of the mark to prevent scratching.
PS: You just think your short :D.

I've only got about 2" on you and I'd lean towards the Cee Bailey sport as well, saving the stock shield as is for the cooler season.

I have a 2014 1200RT with the low seat on the higher setting. I'm short at 5'6".
I'm looking for a shorter windscreen to aim more air at my helmet (for ventilation) during the summer months.
With the stock windscreen at the lowest setting, airflow hits about mid helmet causing noise and some buffeting. If I raise the windshield about a 1/3 of it's adjustment from the bottom, the noise and buffeting stops but I get no airflow.

I thought about the Sport Screen from Cee Baileys but figured I would get some opinions from here before I purchased.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

How the air comes off the windshield and hits your helmet can be different between different windshields. Some just create a lot of turbulence which makes for an unpleasant ride. This is why some owners want the short, or sport, windshields. That allows the windshield to be WELL below the line of sight so that the air from the top of the windshield is hitting BELOW the helmet. This means the airstream hitting the helmet is turbulence free. Like riding a sport bike. BUT, it will be noisy! I have not found a way to have a quiet ride with a large amount of air hitting the helmet. You may well be satisfied with a sport/short screen in urban riding, but high speed and longer distances will make you want the protection and quietness of a larger windshield.

WERKS Quiet Ride Windshield

After doing some research, I am considering a WERKS Quiet Ride Windshield.
I'm concerned about sizing. From the website: " The 22" version is for those that have a short Torso and ride on a low seat height. The 24" version is about the same size as the factory windshield "
Being 5'6" and riding with the low seat at the upper setting, will the 22" still direct air over the helmet or should i stick with the 24"? I've never had any experience with a windshield with a "lip" so I don't know how well it works.
The stock BMW 24" windshield at the lowest setting directs air right at my helmet creating noise. If I raise it a couple of inches, the wind is directed over my helmet. I prefer to ride with the windshield at the lowest setting.

Thanks for any and all advice and/or suggestions,
Bill

I'm also 5' 6" but use the low seat on the low setting (it's easier to back up the bike while sitting on it this way) and just ordered a 22" QuietRide. I don't have the shield yet or I'd give you some additional feedback but the stock shield even in the lowest position is just barely below my line of site. I do get some air on my helmet with things set up like that but I'd like even more air come the warm weather so I'm thinking about cutting down the stock shield once I get the QuietRide installed (assuming that even in the lowest position that the QuietRide deflects more air up and over my helmet than the stock in its lowest position).

Check out the WERKS quite ride, I went with the standard, understand they now have a short version 22"
This is 100% improvement over the stock shield

I'm also 5' 6" but use the low seat on the low setting (it's easier to back up the bike while sitting on it this way) and just ordered a 22" QuietRide. I don't have the shield yet or I'd give you some additional feedback but the stock shield even in the lowest position is just barely below my line of site. I do get some air on my helmet with things set up like that but I'd like even more air come the warm weather so I'm thinking about cutting down the stock shield once I get the QuietRide installed (assuming that even in the lowest position that the QuietRide deflects more air up and over my helmet than the stock in its lowest position).

Please keep me posted with your feedback. Riding season in Illinois is approaching...

Please keep me posted with your feedback. Riding season in Illinois is approaching...

Will do! Been riding to work all week ... still haven't reached first service on my new steed but expect that to happen in short order :)

After doing some research, I am considering a WERKS Quiet Ride Windshield.
I'm concerned about sizing. From the website: " The 22" version is for those that have a short Torso and ride on a low seat height. The 24" version is about the same size as the factory windshield "
Being 5'6" and riding with the low seat at the upper setting, will the 22" still direct air over the helmet or should i stick with the 24"? I've never had any experience with a windshield with a "lip" so I don't know how well it works.
The stock BMW 24" windshield at the lowest setting directs air right at my helmet creating noise. If I raise it a couple of inches, the wind is directed over my helmet. I prefer to ride with the windshield at the lowest setting.

Thanks for any and all advice and/or suggestions,
Bill

I'm a "short 5-8" and I have the 24". I think you'd be happy with the 22". It wasn't an option when I bought mine. Even at my higher height... I'd probably prefer the 22 most of the year.

I have the werks windshield. It is great but too little air flow. I just got a sport Cee Baileys. I only tried it for a short ride yesterday. The werks will be used in the cooler months and the CB in the warmer ones.

I have the werks windshield. It is great but too little air flow. I just got a sport Cee Baileys. I only tried it for a short ride yesterday. The werks will be used in the cooler months and the CB in the warmer ones.

Ultimately I was thinking the same thing.

Cee Baily small sport (tinted) on mine, great centerline air management (quiet, smooth) while allowing for a lot more venting of helmet and jacket.

Back