• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello, From Southern California (Ventura County, Camarillo)

rtlandis

I just joined MOA to become more involved as I search for my first BMW. It's time to get rid of my SV650 and do some more serious touring. I have been looking at the RT.

My first choice, and have been reading up a lot on the newer wet head R1200RT's '14-'15. Beautiful bike and looks to be the perfect size for me, and my passenger at times she goes along. I also like the Gen before it, and could probably make a purchase decision sooner with the savings, but I thought I would keep saving while I do more research and hear from other members about the options out there in that line of BMW. I have even been planning out my aftermarket accessories such as seat and such. It's fun getting ready for a purchase soon!

Anyway, hope to learn more and meet more of you in the forum and at some rides one day.

Those other RT riders out there, please chime in. I know you were in my shoes at one point, right! Thanks, and Hello!

Landis

Last edited:
I bought the '15 RT back in April. Did a ton of research and pretty much narrowed down the choices before I went looking. Went to the BMW dealership, did a long test ride and then I forgot all about any of those other possibilities. A new RT came home with me the same day.

It's a great. Bike and you won't regret it. All I can say is don't test ride it unless you're ready to buy cause you won't want to go home without one.

I bought the '15 RT back in April. Did a ton of research and pretty much narrowed down the choices before I went looking. Went to the BMW dealership, did a long test ride and then I forgot all about any of those other possibilities. A new RT came home with me the same day.

It's a great. Bike and you won't regret it. All I can say is don't test ride it unless you're ready to buy cause you won't want to go home without one.

Thanks, I have test drove one already, and agree. Just wasn't ready to ride off the lot at the time, about 5 months ago. Also tested it one-up. It is great, and first time using something like shift assist pro. About a year before that, I tested the 1600 at a dealer open house. I found it was a bit too heavy for me, but it was my first time on a bike that big. Thanks, for the post.

To add: I have been considering buying a used 2014. It seems that just buying a 2015 at a dealer with some of the current rebates, ~$21,500 plus tax/license may just be a better option to get the keyless ride (which 2014 does not have) and the feeling of leaving with a brand new bike. Not too sure if that is worth saving $ or not. Thoughts on that too?

Last edited:
I like the keyless ride. To me it is worth it. I never take the fob out of my pocket. In the end, it's matter of what kind of deal you can get and how much you want the keyless. I noticed someone is selling a '14 RT for $17k. It's down in the classified section. If I wanted an RT now I'd jump on that one.

Back