Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2007 R1200RT Startup noise

Quote Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
    My 07 R12RT sounded like a neglected threshing machine on startup. Dealer said: ethanoll. We have a place in the southern Appalachians that is outside ozone non-attainment area & ethanol free premium is available. 93 octane. I use nothing but in the RT. Made a small but noticeable difference.

I want to know what YOU think.
    Mechanical noise at startup (and otherwise) is related to cushioning from lubricants and other aspects of parts banging on parts. How the presence or absence of ethanol in the fuel would affect this escapes me.

Now, noise from pinging due to improper fuel octane, or improper state of tune could be affected by a change from a low octane ethanol fuel to a high octane (93) non ethanol fuel. I would expect octane related pinging to happen more when the engine is warmed up than on startup.

So, my thoughts are that the ethanol or its absense has nothing to do with clanging and banging at startup.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
    My 07 R12RT sounded like a neglected threshing machine on startup. Dealer said: ethanoll. We have a place in the southern Appalachians that is outside ozone non-attainment area & ethanol free premium is available. 93 octane. I use nothing but in the RT. Made a small but noticeable difference.

I have come to no useful conclusions about this topic. Even I think my own observations are just anecdotal. But she no longer sounds like neglected farm equipment when starting from cold. And that I am sure of. Even the wife noted a lot less commotion at cold start.

S. A. White Oil Company in Marietta, GA sells ethanol free mid grade. I get it in 5 gal amounts for mower, blower, weedeater, etc. Thinking about converting our town car- Honda Fit over to it.

Anybody see the BMW Motorcycle Mag write up about the GS911? I'm referring to the magazine edited by Sandy Cohen.
    My take on the publication: nice pictures, best brochure ever, not a lot of useful info otherwise. Was not surprised to see stand taken that these bikes are just not meant to be worked on by owners. I gather that may be a Euro/German thing.
    My take on the GS911 article: no clue. I have not yet bought a GS911 - it is on "the list" along with a new VPI turntable, Pono with balanced cans, etc. I want to know what YOU think.
    Just to be sure... did it sounf like this?

http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/...psmoj0cjka.mp4
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Just to be sure... did it sounf like this?

http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/...psmoj0cjka.mp4
    Sort of for about 10 sec. Thanks for the laugh!

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

Great point

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Mechanical noise at startup (and otherwise) is related to cushioning from lubricants and other aspects of parts banging on parts. How the presence or absence of ethanol in the fuel would affect this escapes me.

Now, noise from pinging due to improper fuel octane, or improper state of tune could be affected by a change from a low octane ethanol fuel to a high octane (93) non ethanol fuel. I would expect octane related pinging to happen more when the engine is warmed up than on startup.

So, my thoughts are that the ethanol or its absense has nothing to do with clanging and banging at startup.
    I don't disagree with anything you said. Just reporting what I experienced. Remember: even I think my own reporting is anecdotal at best. I should have mentioned that my bike stays at our "Fortress of Solitude" from April thru October of each year. We go up to the mountain place every other week for 2 or 3 nights. And she sits while I'm stuck in "Traffic-ville". Yet the threshing thing went away. Hey, I like mysteries!

BTW, thanks for all the great articles over the years! I always appreciate your comments, too.

Mike

2006 startup squeal

My 2006 RT has been making this noise on cold startup for years. Itís embarrassing, but nothing really improves it OR makes it worse. Any ideas on what this squeal might be?

https://youtu.be/04vGewvNNBo

-Scott
    Hershey, PA
    IBA# 41,645
    2013 R1200RT
    2006 R1200RT (deceased 6/2018 - Final drive failure)

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C172MyP51 View Post
    My 2006 RT has been making this noise on cold startup for years. Itís embarrassing, but nothing really improves it OR makes it worse. Any ideas on what this squeal might be?

https://youtu.be/04vGewvNNBo

-Scott
    alternator belt???
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Noise

It actually started doing it when I replaced the belt, so Iíve always suspected it, but upon close inspection the belt looks great, even after 40,000+ miles.
    Hershey, PA
    IBA# 41,645
    2013 R1200RT

Update

Just replaced the alternator belt, and itís still making the same squealing sound.
    Like I said, itís been doing this for years. My mechanic says ďmeh. They do that sometimes.Ē And the several stops at BMW dealers over the years has not revealed any concerns...they would have noticed it.
    Hershey, PA
    IBA# 41,645
    2013 R1200RT

From the video it sure sounds to me like the starter hanging up and then retracting after a second.

But location of noise is not distinguishable in video.

Just a thought.

GD
    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years