Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2007 R1200RT Startup noise

2007 R1200RT Startup noise

I am looking at purchasing a used 2007 R1200RT with 30K. When I started the bike up it sounded like a diesel engine for a few seconds and then smoothed out. I had a similar issue with an R1150R, replaced the cam chain tensioner and the startup noise went away. Do the 2007's R1200's have a similar issue? Are there any other issues I should concern myself with? Drive train, clutch, electrical. How is the oil consumption?

Thanks in advance for any input.

My 06 RT has always reminded me of a diesel engine at startup. I thought it was normal for boxer engines.

The 1200s are all supposed to have the improved cam chain tensioner.

My '05 GS does the same thing when the TB's are a little off sync and/or the stepper motors need to be recalibrated.
    Oil consumption varies from one engine to the next but would think, with those few miles, you shouldn't see much if any. Depends on how you ride too.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    The biggest mistake people make... is thinking they have time.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    My 07RT with 40K which I have had for a year now has never sounded that bad. It does make a little more noise for a minute or two but nothing like a diesel. Of course it always sounds the best right after a service. I always keep it on the center stand overnight and the side stand during use during the day and not sure if either makes a difference.

Fwiw...

My '08 RT (~32k mi) makes a sort of "valve-clicking" noise for at most 1 to 2 seconds on startup. As I recall, always has. (I bought it with 21k on the clock.)

I "ASSUMED" it was normal...

Regards,

Marty
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    My 2009 R1200R makes a loud knocking noise on start-up until I start riding it, then it goes away. It has done this for all of its 31K miles, and I can never track down where it is coming from. Just part of the boxer character.
    2009 R1200R Roadster

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Sassy, my 2013 RT with 55000+miles occasionally makes a tappet sound but only after her 6000mile interval service....only heard the tappet sound twice IIRC out of 9 services....
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by W7lej1 View Post
    My '08 RT (~32k mi) makes a sort of "valve-clicking" noise for at most 1 to 2 seconds on startup. As I recall, always has. (I bought it with 21k on the clock.)

I "ASSUMED" it was normal...

Regards,

Marty
    It's pretty much "normal."

It's the chain tensioner for I believe the right side (Cylinder 1, Starboard side) chain. It sometimes "drains down", and only has spring tension to keep it extended until oil pressure hits it on startup. That allows the chain to slap for a second. MANY hexheads have been doing this for MANY miles, and I've yet to hear of any ill effects from it. It happens less often when I use Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil (fully synthetic, and good additive package.)

If you're using a generic 10W-40, you may want to consider trying the 15W-50 BMW semi-synthetic just for fun. Might make a difference. Might not.

FWIW - the oilhead engines also made the same noise - and the eventual fix was to install an R1200XX chain tensioner in the 1150 engines. That was on cylinder 2 (port side..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo49 View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a used 2007 R1200RT with 30K. When I started the bike up it sounded like a diesel engine for a few seconds and then smoothed out. I had a similar issue with an R1150R, replaced the cam chain tensioner and the startup noise went away. Do the 2007's R1200's have a similar issue? Are there any other issues I should concern myself with? Drive train, clutch, electrical. How is the oil consumption?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    The noise IMHO isn't an issue. It's character. A few possible issues: The ABS controller - some fail due to incorrect assembly. They can be repaired for WAY less then BMW wants for a new one (ModuleMasters - Google'm.) Rear drives have actually been pretty reliable since people started changing the oil in them. Fuel strips are an endemic problem - almost all of them eventually fail, but BMW extended a 12 year warranty (from bike in-service date) on them.

My '07 R1200R with 96,000 miles (all mine!) on it (BTW - it's for sale) used NO oil at all on a trip from NJ to Virginia, to California (LA) to San Francisco and then back to NJ. None. Zilch. It takes a while to get to that state (probably somewhere around 20,000 miles,) but once the rings really seat they are not oil burners. In 96,000 miles I had LOTS of fuel-strips, and one steering damper. That's it for "issues"..

My '12 R1200R with about 5,000 miles on it is still using some oil, but it's tapering off rather quickly - it's going in for it's first replacement fuel strip on the 25th.

EDIT - I forgot. You have an RT. Plan to learn to replace headlight bulbs. The RT eats them. I'm still on all original bulbs on the '07..
    Last edited by deilenberger; 08-12-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added info..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Grampa Tumbleweed

2007 R1200RT Startup noise

Ditto on the RT headlights. On my 2010 RT, I got a high of 25k and a low of 5k on the H7's. Finally gave up and installed a HID setup, still perfect after 38k on both low beams. If you go this route, make sure you get a setup with some extra resistance designed in, to fool your computer into thinking there is still a stock current draw. Bike clatters the cam chain tensioner(s'?) for a second sometimes, I ignore it.
    Last edited by 7536; 08-13-2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: omitted bike description.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the input.

Not to hijack this into another oil thread, but

Regarding Don E's comment on oils (thanks, Don, for a thorough reply!) I've used both BMW oil and generic in mine. No noticeable diff at least on my machine. I don't even generally think about this but the thread resurrected my observations.

Regards,

Marty
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

Oil use

My R1150R use about 1qt/1500miles.

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

start up noise & BMW Motorcycle Mag article on GS 911

My 07 R12RT sounded like a neglected threshing machine on startup. Dealer said: ethanoll. We have a place in the southern Appalachians that is outside ozone non-attainment area & ethanol free premium is available. 93 octane. I use nothing but in the RT. Made a small but noticeable difference.

I have come to no useful conclusions about this topic. Even I think my own observations are just anecdotal. But she no longer sounds like neglected farm equipment when starting from cold. And that I am sure of. Even the wife noted a lot less commotion at cold start.

S. A. White Oil Company in Marietta, GA sells ethanol free mid grade. I get it in 5 gal amounts for mower, blower, weedeater, etc. Thinking about converting our town car- Honda Fit over to it.

Anybody see the BMW Motorcycle Mag write up about the GS911? I'm referring to the magazine edited by Sandy Cohen.
    My take on the publication: nice pictures, best brochure ever, not a lot of useful info otherwise. Was not surprised to see stand taken that these bikes are just not meant to be worked on by owners. I gather that may be a Euro/German thing.
    My take on the GS911 article: no clue. I have not yet bought a GS911 - it is on "the list" along with a new VPI turntable, Pono with balanced cans, etc. I want to know what YOU think.