• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have you got a nice story?

Years ago I met the son of Paul Tibbets (the pilot of Enola Gay) in Montgomery AL where he was employed as a corporate pilot. I recently saw an article about him saying he was very opposed to sending a U. S. delegation to the Hiroshima memorial.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-plan-send-delegation-hiroshima-ceremony.html

The Boxcar B-29 is beautifully preserved in the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. We visited there during the Lima Ohio MOA rally. The Enola Gay sat uncovered in a parking lot for decades until the new museum was built near Dulles Airport. It was restored then but it was a shame that it sat for years un protected.

:thumb

new_zealand_earthquake.jpg

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! I have discovered that I do not live in the same world that we see on the news. I have never experienced a drive-by shooting (except in Vietnam), never been mugged, never known anyone whose close relative was murdered. I am aware of such things, I simply do not experience them personally, and do not thrive on experiencing them vicariously. My world is full of good people doing good deeds all around--just like most of those described in this thread. We call them Glory Sightings among my peeps--those times when we see God in seemingly ordinary actions. And, oh BTW, you do not have to believe in God for Him/Her to be real.

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! I have discovered that I do not live in the same world that we see on the news....I am aware of such things, I simply do not experience them personally, and do not thrive on experiencing them vicariously...

Well, for a lot of folks, it probably isn't a bad idea to limit exposure to news, particularly television. All that negativity can build up.

With print media or online media, at least you can scan headlines, and be selective on what you read.

SNIP.... We call them Glory Sightings among my peeps--those times when we see God in seemingly ordinary actions. And, oh BTW, you do not have to believe in God for Him/Her to be real.

On the flip side there are many people who think that just because one believes in God does not make Him/Her real either. :)

From Seacoastonline.com~

RIP Chris Connors....Wildman at large~

1010929438NH_conn_20161213.jpg

Irishman Dies from Stubbornness, Whiskey

Chris Connors died, at age 67, after trying to box his bikini-clad hospice nurse just moments earlier. Ladies man, game slayer, and outlaw Connors told his last inappropriate joke on Friday, December 9, 2016, that which cannot be printed here. Anyone else fighting ALS and stage 4 pancreatic cancer would have gone quietly into the night, but Connors was stark naked drinking Veuve in a house full of friends and family as Al Green played from the speakers. The way he died is just like he lived: he wrote his own rules, he fought authority and he paved his own way. And if you said he couldn't do it, he would make sure he could.

Most people thought he was crazy for swimming in the ocean in January; for being a skinny Irish Golden Gloves boxer from Quincy, Massachusetts; for dressing up as a priest and then proceeding to get into a fight at a Jewish deli. Many gawked at his start of a career on Wall Street without a financial background - but instead with an intelligent, impish smile, love for the spoken word, irreverent sense of humor, and stunning blue eyes that could make anyone fall in love with him.

As much as people knew hanging out with him would end in a night in jail or a killer screwdriver hangover, he was the type of man that people would drive 16 hours at the drop of a dime to come see. He lived 1000 years in the 67 calendar years we had with him because he attacked life; he grabbed it by the lapels, kissed it, and swung it back onto the dance floor. At the age of 26 he planned to circumnavigate the world - instead, he ended up spending 40 hours on a life raft off the coast of Panama. In 1974, he founded the Quincy Rugby Club. In his thirties, he sustained a knife wound after saving a woman from being mugged in New York City. He didn't slow down: at age 64, he climbed to the base camp of Mount Everest. Throughout his life, he was an accomplished hunter and birth control device tester (with some failures, notably Caitlin Connors, 33; Chris Connors, 11; and Liam Connors, 8).

He was a rare combination of someone who had a love of life and a firm understanding of what was important - the simplicity of living a life with those you love. Although he threw some of the most memorable parties during the greater half of a century, he would trade it all for a night in front of the fire with his family in Maine. His acute awareness of the importance of a life lived with the ones you love over any material possession was only handicapped by his territorial attachment to the remote control of his Sonos music.

Chris enjoyed cross dressing, a well-made fire, and mashed potatoes with lots of butter. His regrets were few, but include eating a rotisserie hot dog from an unmemorable convenience store in the summer of 1986.

Of all the people he touched, both willing and unwilling, his most proud achievement in life was marrying his wife Emily Ayer Connors who supported him in all his glory during his heyday, and lovingly supported him physically during their last days together.

Absolut vodka and Simply Orange companies are devastated by the loss of Connors. A "Celebration of Life" will be held during Happy Hour (4 p.m.) at York Harbor Inn on Monday, December 19.

In lieu of flowers, please pay open bar tab or donate to Connors' water safety fund at www.thechrisconnorsfund.com.

Published in Seacoastonline.com from Dec. 13 to Dec. 16, 2016
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/se...is-connors&pid=183074559#sthash.nm946iaf.dpuf

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seacoastonline/obituary.aspx?n=chris-connors&pid=183074559

:rocker
om

From CBS Evening News~

Couple thankful for repo man who took their car

Nice!
om

While not much for organized sports, I like seeing someone involved- doing a good thing. I had never heard the name Mike Ilitch but this story made me interested in at least part of his life.
Mike Ilitch paid Rosa Parks’ rent for years

I read about this a few years ago, but it was a brief thing that didn’t make a ton of waves, mostly because the Tigers and their late owner Mike Ilitch weren’t interested in making a big deal out of it.................

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/02/17/mike-ilitch-paid-rosa-parks-rent-for-years/

OM

First woman to officially run Boston Marathon back at it -- 50 years later

ctm-0417-kathrine-switzer-boston-marathon.jpg

More than 30,000 runners registered to take part in today’s 121st Boston Marathon, and nearly 14,000 of them are women.

Among them is Kathrine Switzer, who 50 years ago became the first woman to register and officially cross the finish line of the Boston Marathon. She didn’t set out to shatter stereotypes or change the culture of sports forever -- but that’s exactly what she did.

“I didn’t plan to do anything but try to cover 26 miles, 385 yards,” Switzer said.

ctm-0417-kathrine-switzer-running-today.jpg

More at- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boston-marathon-kathrine-switzer-first-official-female-runner-legacy/

OM

Again, from CBS Sunday Morning-

:usa
om

Yeah, I watched that this morning too. Back from church now and still weepy thinking about the families of those we lost.

Thank God for Steve Hartman and Americans like him, without whom which I would have very little faith in our nation.

A lot of those great Americans I’m talking about I have come to know on the third weekend in July.

About a week ago I took a dozen of our kitchen knives to a man in town who sharpens and makes knives. He operates out of a large delivery truck parked in a parking lot. He does a great job and, although he says he charges $3 per knife, he only asks for $20 to sharpen a dozen. I picked them up later in the day and when I got home I discovered I had an extra knife in the box I used to transport them. Over the past week I've gone by his truck a couple of times to return the extra knife but he was not open. I have no particular knowledge about knives but this one looked special to me; not something one would find in Walmart. Today I tried again and he was open. There were two Japanese men at his truck talking to the sharpener so I stood off to the side and waited. I could hear the conversation and understood the sharpener was apologizing profusely to the two other men. It turns out one of the men is the owner and chef at a local restaurant and the missing knife was his. As they were talking I held the knife up so the proprietor could see it. I thought he was going to faint he was so shocked and happy. The chef had given him the knife so that he could make a copy for use in his restaurant and the knife was expensive and handmade. I've seldom seen a person so happy and excited as that sharpener. After the two Japanese men left he walked over to my truck as I was leaving to again express his thanks and assure me my future sharpening needs are secure.

Back