Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Have you got a nice story?

lagator
    In May of this year my wife and I had driven to Alaska on vacation and had planned to spend about a month there. We had been in Skagway for four days visiting friends who are there for the summer when we got a telephone call at about 5 A.M. Ak time that my sister and only remaining sibling had passed away. We hurriedly packed up everything to start heading back home.
    We stopped at a small cafe that we had eaten breakfast at each morning to get a bite to eat before getting on the road home. When the waitress came to take our order she could sense that something was wrong so my wife told her what had happened. Several times while trying to eat and also talking to my niece back home I broke down and started crying and I'm sure that the waitress probably noticed. When I got up and went to the counter to take care of the check the waitress told me not to worry about it, she had paid it her self. At this point I broke down again but was so overwhelmed that there are still kind and thought full people like her. She restored my faith in human nature and kindness and made some of the drive home a little more bearable.
    Last edited by lagator; 07-22-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    My "nice" story for today:

I was at work recently and talking with a supervisor whom I particularly admire and look up to. It had been a rough day with some real hard to get along with road crew on hand for whatever show it was we were setting up.
    I mentioned how obstinate these guys were being all day, and how there were times when I had just wanted to spit, or cuss, or ..... something- all of which is out of character for me: generally speaking, I get along well with everyone.

My supervisor, undergoing treatment for cancer currently, began going on about how inspirational my positive outlook on life is, and how he admires my ability to get along with folks. He said he was trying to be more like I am with people. !!

I was stunned and taken aback by his comments. Pleased as well I guess, because I always feel as though all I can do to change the world is provide and example of whatever change I wish to see. It MIGHT be working, if only a little.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Novi boy with Down syndrome scores TD for ill mom

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ream/90546476/

om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

From CBS Sunday Morning~

I found this to be a nice story,

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restorin...-aviation-gem/

I really enjoy hearing about a time where American craftsmanship, and Craftsmen, came together to "get the job done".

The fit, finish, commitment to quality that the American worker has had in the past has created some great machines. To see a 91 year old woman that actually did some of the original riveting on this work of art was wonderful!

om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From CBS Sunday Morning~

I really enjoy hearing about a time where American craftsmanship, and Craftsmen, came together to "get the job done".

The fit, finish, commitment to quality that the American worker has had in the past has created some great machines. To see a 91 year old woman that actually did some of the original riveting on this work of art was wonderful!

om

I watched that this morning....very 'nice' as well as interesting story. I live near the home airport of the War-Birds and see them from time to time, flying over & on display. There is something "special" about those old planes .........
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From CBS Sunday Morning~

That was special! And Old Doc is only one year older than I am.
    2015 R nineT

Gary man, dude, why you gotta make us old pilots get all misty eyed like that?
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Gary man, dude, why you gotta make us old pilots get all misty eyed like that?

It's so nice to see a group "pull together" to preserve an important piece of history......"just because".
    om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

When I was a kid growing up on Chanute airforce base in Rantoul, IL I did a lot of airplane modeling. I remember building at least one Flying Fortress. The decal set... My favorite stage of building, that came with the B29 came with three choices of nose art, the Enola Gay, Thumper (from Bambi) and Doc. I think the Enola Gay is in a museum somewhere, don't know what ever happend to thumper.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    When I was a kid growing up on Chanute airforce base in Rantoul, IL I did a lot of airplane modeling. I remember building at least one Flying Fortress. The decal set... My favorite stage of building, that came with the B29 came with three choices of nose art, the Enola Gay, Thumper (from Bambi) and Doc. I think the Enola Gay is in a museum somewhere, don't know what ever happend to thumper.
    Last summer, I rode the bike thru 27 states east of the Mississippi and visited both B-29's (Enola Gay and Bockscar) that ushered in atomic warfare and helped end WW II. One is in the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH; the other in the Udvar-Hazy Museum in Chantilly, VA (a satellite facility of the Smithsonian).

Nice to 'touch' a piece of Air Corps history and reflect on such monumental sacrifice by, arguable, the Greatest Generation.

Sorry - no intel on 'Thumper.'
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Years ago I met the son of Paul Tibbets (the pilot of Enola Gay) in Montgomery AL where he was employed as a corporate pilot. I recently saw an article about him saying he was very opposed to sending a U. S. delegation to the Hiroshima memorial.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...-ceremony.html

The Boxcar B-29 is beautifully preserved in the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio. We visited there during the Lima Ohio MOA rally. The Enola Gay sat uncovered in a parking lot for decades until the new museum was built near Dulles Airport. It was restored then but it was a shame that it sat for years un protected.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Stranded cows rescued after New Zealand earthquake

This was a pretty big story this week:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...zealands-heart
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    This was a pretty big story this week:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...zealands-heart

Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! I have discovered that I do not live in the same world that we see on the news. I have never experienced a drive-by shooting (except in Vietnam), never been mugged, never known anyone whose close relative was murdered. I am aware of such things, I simply do not experience them personally, and do not thrive on experiencing them vicariously. My world is full of good people doing good deeds all around--just like most of those described in this thread. We call them Glory Sightings among my peeps--those times when we see God in seemingly ordinary actions. And, oh BTW, you do not have to believe in God for Him/Her to be real.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    you do not have to believe in God for Him to be real.
    The truth in that can set you free. And that is the best story of all.