• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have you got a nice story?

One of the things I liked about Garrison Keillor was his ability to tell a story that I could "see", even with it being on the radio.

It will be big shoes to fill, reporting on the goings on at Lake Wobegon.
Once again, CBS Sunday has brought us another nice story- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/garrison-keillor-signs-off/

OM

That was a good segment this morning. I hate to see GK leaving but for sure he has earned some time for other pursuits. It should be fun watching the PHC crew remold themselves around the new host.
Best,
DG

"Even the atheist were Luthern, it was a Luthern God they didn't believe in..." Garrison to me was always so funny, and that voice! He will be missed. I was unaware that he is high functioning autistic, gives me hope for my son.

I had the good fortune to see PHC for the 30th anniversary show at their home base, the Fisher Theater. It was the Friday night "rehearsal", not the live broadcast Saturday show, but it was flawless nonetheless. :thumb

Love Plant

image.jpg

When I met Rhonda, we were both just coming out of terrible, terrible divorces. We were both very raw and vulnerable and our immediate surroundings reflected the degree of neglect and abuse our former spouses had inflicted upon us. This plant was in Rhonda's house in a small pot on top of a china cabinet... Covered in dust and cob webs, dirt, dry as a bone, leaves dead and wilted, all five of them it's stood maybe 8" high. I took Rhonda and this plant into my home... Our home now. We have been nurturing and repotting this plant since March 8, 2010. It's prolific growth, beauty, and health has served as a symbol of our love. I remember her saying when I took it from its dusty, dank abode, "Don't bother with that old thing, it's nearly dead, not worth saving."

PHC: I was at the June 4 show in Atlanta. My second time at the show, went in 2012 too. Both were fabulous as I've been a fan since about 1982.

Before we sold our business, at which I was the Office Mgr., bookkeeper, toilet cleaner, there was one particular customer who I kinda hated to see coming in. He was an older gentleman, and was always nice but he was just a little pesky and bothersome. One hectic morning at the office I saw him drive up, and I told Paul "Oh s..t, her comes that old bastard...I wish to hell he would just call, and not come by here every time he wanted us to make a service call for him...Crap, I'll never get rid of him, and on, and on". He walked in and said "Hi, Ms Thorne, you have always been so nice to me I just wanted to bring you this sack of tomatoes":blush. After that, I have tried to do better. Doesn't always work, but sure taught me a lesson and made me think. Actually, I think the old guy was just lonesome. :)

This is what happened when 2 guys with horns made a spontaneous decision to set up and play the Star Wars theme in front of John Williams' house on 7/11/2016! With the high part played by 13 yr. old trumpeter, Bryce Hayashi, and the lower flugelhorn part played by Michael Miller ("Mickle"), John Williams, the master himself, comes out to greet us at

:dance

om

We've all made random acts of kindness to strangers, sometimes we're recipients of random acts of kindness.

Diann and I were riding to the RA rally at Biltmore in Asheville a few years ago.

We were stopped in a rest area on the interstate in Pennsylvania, and it was very hot. I was just putting my riding suit back on when I noticed that Diann was talking to a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 years old.

I was a bit irritated as I wanted to get going, however I walked over and introduced myself. He talked for a few minutes about how after the war he owned an Indian and had done some riding in Canada with it, and really liked Canada and Canadians. He then said he had something for us, and limped over to his motor home and came back with two cold bottles of water for us.

It was one of those random acts of kindness from a stranger, that would have never happened if I had been as impatient as I wanted to be.

I don't know who he was, will never see him again, however I now take the time to talk with people who come over, attracted by the bike or perhaps just by a fellow traveler, he gave me much more than a bottle of water that day, and probably never realized how appreciated it was..........Rod.

In May of this year my wife and I had driven to Alaska on vacation and had planned to spend about a month there. We had been in Skagway for four days visiting friends who are there for the summer when we got a telephone call at about 5 A.M. Ak time that my sister and only remaining sibling had passed away. We hurriedly packed up everything to start heading back home.
We stopped at a small cafe that we had eaten breakfast at each morning to get a bite to eat before getting on the road home. When the waitress came to take our order she could sense that something was wrong so my wife told her what had happened. Several times while trying to eat and also talking to my niece back home I broke down and started crying and I'm sure that the waitress probably noticed. When I got up and went to the counter to take care of the check the waitress told me not to worry about it, she had paid it her self. At this point I broke down again but was so overwhelmed that there are still kind and thought full people like her. She restored my faith in human nature and kindness and made some of the drive home a little more bearable.

Last edited:
My "nice" story for today:

I was at work recently and talking with a supervisor whom I particularly admire and look up to. It had been a rough day with some real hard to get along with road crew on hand for whatever show it was we were setting up.
I mentioned how obstinate these guys were being all day, and how there were times when I had just wanted to spit, or cuss, or ..... something- all of which is out of character for me: generally speaking, I get along well with everyone.

My supervisor, undergoing treatment for cancer currently, began going on about how inspirational my positive outlook on life is, and how he admires my ability to get along with folks. He said he was trying to be more like I am with people. !!

I was stunned and taken aback by his comments. Pleased as well I guess, because I always feel as though all I can do to change the world is provide and example of whatever change I wish to see. It MIGHT be working, if only a little.

Novi boy with Down syndrome scores TD for ill mom

B99441929Z.1_20160916231311_000_G4D14V737.3-0.jpg

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...09/16/novi-water-boy-realizes-dream/90546476/

om

From CBS Sunday Morning~

I found this to be a nice story,

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restoring-a-world-war-ii-aviation-gem/

b29-boneyard-620.jpg

I really enjoy hearing about a time where American craftsmanship, and Craftsmen, came together to "get the job done".

The fit, finish, commitment to quality that the American worker has had in the past has created some great machines. To see a 91 year old woman that actually did some of the original riveting on this work of art was wonderful!

b-29-doc-in-flight-facebook-620.jpg

:)
om

From CBS Sunday Morning~

I found this to be a nice story,

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restoring-a-world-war-ii-aviation-gem/

b29-boneyard-620.jpg

I really enjoy hearing about a time where American craftsmanship, and Craftsmen, came together to "get the job done".

The fit, finish, commitment to quality that the American worker has had in the past has created some great machines. To see a 91 year old woman that actually did some of the original riveting on this work of art was wonderful!

b-29-doc-in-flight-facebook-620.jpg

:)
om

I watched that this morning....very 'nice' as well as interesting story. I live near the home airport of the War-Birds and see them from time to time, flying over & on display. There is something "special" about those old planes .........:thumb

When I was a kid growing up on Chanute airforce base in Rantoul, IL I did a lot of airplane modeling. I remember building at least one Flying Fortress. The decal set... My favorite stage of building, that came with the B29 came with three choices of nose art, the Enola Gay, Thumper (from Bambi) and Doc. I think the Enola Gay is in a museum somewhere, don't know what ever happend to thumper.

When I was a kid growing up on Chanute airforce base in Rantoul, IL I did a lot of airplane modeling. I remember building at least one Flying Fortress. The decal set... My favorite stage of building, that came with the B29 came with three choices of nose art, the Enola Gay, Thumper (from Bambi) and Doc. I think the Enola Gay is in a museum somewhere, don't know what ever happend to thumper.

Last summer, I rode the bike thru 27 states east of the Mississippi and visited both B-29's (Enola Gay and Bockscar) that ushered in atomic warfare and helped end WW II. One is in the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH; the other in the Udvar-Hazy Museum in Chantilly, VA (a satellite facility of the Smithsonian).

Nice to 'touch' a piece of Air Corps history and reflect on such monumental sacrifice by, arguable, the Greatest Generation.

Sorry - no intel on 'Thumper.' :dunno

Back