Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Have you got a nice story?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Seven decades after their "we can do it" attitude proved invaluable to the Allied victory in World War II, about 30 "Rosie the Riveters" are being honored with a trip to Washington. (March 22)

http://markets.cbsnews.com/Rosie-the...64cb3b34bde7a/

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Saw that on the news this evening; good story. I'll be glad when we as a society can cut that seven daecades down for recognition. Take the time to thank a vet now. Get involved. My comrades from Iraq and Afghanistan are killing themselves because they think no one cares. Let them know you care. It's important.

Thanks Rosie. You rocked.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Minnesota man leaves church his treasured car collection
    MAY 7, 2016, 8:11 AM|A church in Minnesota is giving thanks for a remarkable donation that came from a congregation member whose generosity was revealed only after his death. In life, Dennis Erickson's gift was a carefully-guarded secret, but it will now affect generations to come. Mark Albert reports.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/minnes...ar-collection/

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

A great stop (by) The Police~

Some good old fashion police work......So nice to see when it works.

A Selfless Meal, and Conversation, for Two
    We were shown this picture from a third-party who had not taken the photo, nor knew anything about it, other than they thought it was taken in Fall River. After a little digging, we were able to locate the citizen who had taken the photo. The citizen said the well-dressed Trooper in a suit appeared to be having lunch with a panhandler on Davol Street in Fall River. The citizen was struck by what he saw, snapped the photo, and posted...

Click here to read more!

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Garrison Keillor...takes a break

One of the things I liked about Garrison Keillor was his ability to tell a story that I could "see", even with it being on the radio.

It will be big shoes to fill, reporting on the goings on at Lake Wobegon.
    Once again, CBS Sunday has brought us another nice story- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/garrison-keillor-signs-off/

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    One of the things I liked about Garrison Keillor was his ability to tell a story that I could "see", even with it being on the radio.

It will be big shoes to fill, reporting on the goings on at Lake Wobegon.
    Once again, CBS Sunday has brought us another nice story- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/garrison-keillor-signs-off/

OM
    That was a good segment this morning. I hate to see GK leaving but for sure he has earned some time for other pursuits. It should be fun watching the PHC crew remold themselves around the new host.
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

"Even the atheist were Luthern, it was a Luthern God they didn't believe in..." Garrison to me was always so funny, and that voice! He will be missed. I was unaware that he is high functioning autistic, gives me hope for my son.
    MOA # 143779

I had the good fortune to see PHC for the 30th anniversary show at their home base, the Fisher Theater. It was the Friday night "rehearsal", not the live broadcast Saturday show, but it was flawless nonetheless.
    Kevin W.
    '76 R90/6 (wei?e kuh)
    '11 G650GS (Bill the Cat)
    Der Weg ist das Ziel!

Love Plant

image.jpg

When I met Rhonda, we were both just coming out of terrible, terrible divorces. We were both very raw and vulnerable and our immediate surroundings reflected the degree of neglect and abuse our former spouses had inflicted upon us. This plant was in Rhonda's house in a small pot on top of a china cabinet... Covered in dust and cob webs, dirt, dry as a bone, leaves dead and wilted, all five of them it's stood maybe 8" high. I took Rhonda and this plant into my home... Our home now. We have been nurturing and repotting this plant since March 8, 2010. It's prolific growth, beauty, and health has served as a symbol of our love. I remember her saying when I took it from its dusty, dank abode, "Don't bother with that old thing, it's nearly dead, not worth saving."
    MOA # 143779

PHC: I was at the June 4 show in Atlanta. My second time at the show, went in 2012 too. Both were fabulous as I've been a fan since about 1982.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    image.jpg

"Don't bother with that old thing, it's nearly dead, not worth saving."

Arn't you glad you did.......
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    Arn't you glad you did.......
    In many ways yes.
    MOA # 143779

Before we sold our business, at which I was the Office Mgr., bookkeeper, toilet cleaner, there was one particular customer who I kinda hated to see coming in. He was an older gentleman, and was always nice but he was just a little pesky and bothersome. One hectic morning at the office I saw him drive up, and I told Paul "Oh s..t, her comes that old bastard...I wish to hell he would just call, and not come by here every time he wanted us to make a service call for him...Crap, I'll never get rid of him, and on, and on". He walked in and said "Hi, Ms Thorne, you have always been so nice to me I just wanted to bring you this sack of tomatoes". After that, I have tried to do better. Doesn't always work, but sure taught me a lesson and made me think. Actually, I think the old guy was just lonesome.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

This is what happened when 2 guys with horns made a spontaneous decision to set up and play the Star Wars theme in front of John Williams' house on 7/11/2016! With the high part played by 13 yr. old trumpeter, Bryce Hayashi, and the lower flugelhorn part played by Michael Miller ("Mickle"), John Williams, the master himself, comes out to greet us at

om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

We've all made random acts of kindness to strangers, sometimes we're recipients of random acts of kindness.

Diann and I were riding to the RA rally at Biltmore in Asheville a few years ago.

We were stopped in a rest area on the interstate in Pennsylvania, and it was very hot. I was just putting my riding suit back on when I noticed that Diann was talking to a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 years old.

I was a bit irritated as I wanted to get going, however I walked over and introduced myself. He talked for a few minutes about how after the war he owned an Indian and had done some riding in Canada with it, and really liked Canada and Canadians. He then said he had something for us, and limped over to his motor home and came back with two cold bottles of water for us.

It was one of those random acts of kindness from a stranger, that would have never happened if I had been as impatient as I wanted to be.

I don't know who he was, will never see him again, however I now take the time to talk with people who come over, attracted by the bike or perhaps just by a fellow traveler, he gave me much more than a bottle of water that day, and probably never realized how appreciated it was..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class