Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you got a nice story?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Celebrating Mother's Day

From Steve Hartman-

At her New York premiere, Rebecca Danigelis was pulled in all directions. Everyone wanted a picture with the most unlikely star of the silver screen.

"It was really bizarre because I'm like, 'This is just my mom. We just showed up out of an Uber,'" her son Sian-Pierre Regis said. "She went from hotel housekeeper to household name over the last four or five years."

The journey began in 2016 after she left this voicemail for her son: "I just got fired. Just want you to know that. Call me. Bye."

She had been fired at 75 years old. "I was in shock. I never expected it to happen to me," Danigelis said.

"My biggest worry was like, if she loses her job, what else does she have?" Regis said.

Danigelis tried finding another job. She went to career centers and scoured job listings. But found nothing. "Ain't no reason anybody is going to hire somebody that is 75 years of age," she said.

Which is why her son, a freelance journalist, took a different tack. "She worked her hands to the bone. She deserved to feel joy. And that's what I wanted to give her," he said.

So the mother and son hit the road and started checking items off her bucket list. Milk a cow in Vermont. Done. Take a hip-hop lesson. Check. Learn how to use Instagram. It's still a work in progress.

Regis chronicled their adventure in a new documentary titled, "Duty Free." The film, now showing across the country, is his gift to her.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-h...y-bucket-list/

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Love that Steve Hartman. About the only thing I miss, since I’ve stopped watching the “news”. Thanks for sharing Gary.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Love that Steve Hartman. About the only thing I miss, since I’ve stopped watching the “news”. Thanks for sharing Gary.

Trying to keep the “good vibes” flowing.
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

From another thread here on the forum-

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Not a motorist interaction but here goes.

Last June I was northbound on Colo Hwy 145 about 15 miles north of Dolores.
    In front of me off the road in the grass I see one of those red flags you put on ATV's and bike trailers.
    As I pass by I see its a guy in a wheel chair.
    I go about a mile and decide to turn around and see if he's OK.
    Well I pull up and meet my new friend Paul.
    Paul is a paraplegic from a oil field accident, he is pulling a Red Flyer wagon and is as happy as a man can be.
    We talk and hes a talker. He tells me he is on a camping trip GOING BY WHEEL CHAIR From Farmington NM to Grand Junction Co to visit a friend and BACK. I don't know but I'd guess its about 250 -275 miles ea way. He said he averages about 15 miles a day.
    I ask him if he needs any water or money. He laughs and smiles and says hes good on both, he said people were so kind they always stop and insist on him taking food and water and beer, so much so he has to put his foot down and say thanks but no thanks.
    I guessed he was about 35 and he said he had been in a chair for 7 years after a load of pipe fell on him, crushing his back.
    So cherry and positive.
    I think of him often when I think I'm having a tough day.
    Nick
    1990 K 75RT

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

CBS Sunday morning was focused on policing in America. Here is a nice segment from the midwest-

Help someone out if you can.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

That was a good one. Thanks Gary.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA President

We recently had an office involved shooting in where a beloved Police Canine was killed.

A nice tribute-

Fortunately, the two police officers are recovering.......suspect deceased.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I received a text last night from MOA Member "Brian" inquiring about my ability to balance a front tire/wheel for him.
    I texted back and Brian showed up right on time at 0800,
    Nice guy, he and his wife are traveling via motorhome and riding as they desire.
    Tire/Wheel balanced and Brian on his way at 0830.

MOA Rules!
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I received a text last night from MOA Member "Brian" inquiring about my ability to balance a front tire/wheel for him.
    I texted back and Brian showed up right on time at 0800,
    Nice guy, he and his wife are traveling via motorhome and riding as they desire.
    Tire/Wheel balanced and Brian on his way at 0830.

MOA Rules!
    That’s what I’m talking about!
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA President

From CNN VIA Channel 7 news Boston

(CNN) — A Massachusetts high school student made an unexpected announcement during her graduation ceremony last week when she asked that a $40,000 scholarship awarded to her be given to a student attending community college instead.

“I am so very grateful for this. But I also know that I am not the one who needs this the most,” Verda Tetteh, 17, said during the Fitchburg High School graduation ceremony on Friday.

The crowd, made up of her fellow classmates, their families, teachers and school administrators, applauded and cheered Tetteh after she made her announcement.

“When she started speaking on the microphone, I was overwhelmed. I think a lot of people in the stadium were, honestly,” Principal Jeremy Roche said. “I was so moved by her generosity.”

Tetteh, 17, told CNN she plans to study biochemistry at Harvard College in the fall. During the impromptu speech, Tetteh told the crowd that she was inspired by her mother, who had attended community college.

The school has awarded its General Excellence Award to a graduating boy and girl since 1914. The prize was augmented in 2004 with a substantial financial scholarship of $10,000 a year, which can be renewed for up to four years’ worth of undergraduate education, Assistant Principal Tom DiGeronimo said.

Tetteh had applied for the award, “but for some reason, I thought it would automatically go to someone who needed it more, so I had ruled myself out.”

She said she was initially happy.

“Then I sat down, and it hit me. This is $40,000. That’s a lot of money. Obviously I could use that,” Tetteh said. “But there’s definitely someone sitting in this crowd who needs it more.”

Rosemary Annan, Tetteh’s mother, had immigrated from Ghana, before having Tetteh in the United Kingdom. She currently works two jobs, including an overnight shift at a group home, she told CNN.

Annan was “in shock” as she watched her daughter take the stage again, but was proud when her daughter spoke about her hopes for the scholarship money.

“I just knew she’s ready for me to let her be on her own,” Annan said. “I’m not afraid, and I’m not sad about it that someone’s going to get some good help. If I had gotten that help, I would have been thrilled.”

Tetteh has received additional scholarships, in addition to financial aid from Harvard College, she said.

The school is now in the process of contacting the family that had initially set up the scholarship to see if they would be open to reallocating the money, administrators told CNN.

“We’re blessed to be a blessing,” Tetteh said. “I thought that I was in the position where God has blessed me so much, and I thought it was the right thing to do to bless somebody else.”

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I'm not much for meetings......especially those that just seem to schedule the next meeting.

Perhaps if there were more Goats?

From CBS Sunday Morning-

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200