• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have you got a nice story?

Saluting a Father's dedication-

From CBS-4 Boston-

b4b7a16e-a505-46b4-a6bf-0de4e3c505aa_1920x1080.jpg

Dick Hoyt, who pushed son in multiple Boston Marathons, dies at 80

Hoyt first pushed his son, who is a quadriplegic and has cerebral palsy, in the Boston Marathon in 1980. They completed 32 Boston Marathons together.

Dick Hoyt first pushed his son, who is quadriplegic and has cerebral palsy, in the Boston Marathon in 1980. Dick and Rick, in a specialized wheelchair, completed 32 Boston Marathons together, until Dick, citing health issues, retired in 2014.

Full story here- https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/n...hons/507-06776a74-2616-4165-9cb7-51a8735cc4d1

om

Saw that and recall seeing their story before. Incredible dad and athlete, that’s true commitment. RIP sir.

When Dustin Vitale’s mother, Gloria, was diagnosed with terminal cancer last year, he decided he would try to take her on the trip she always dreamed of, to see the pyramids in Egypt, and bring along all 14 family members. To fund his act of love, this Philadelphia middle-school teacher began selling cheesesteaks, even though he doesn't own a restaurant. Steve Hartman reports.

om

A story of sacrifice-

TAUNTON, Mass. (WPRI) ─ The widow of a Taunton man killed in a violent rampage at the Silver City Galleria nearly five years ago is asking for the community’s help spreading kindness in her husband’s memory.

George Heath was fatally stabbed while protecting a pregnant Bertucci’s Restaurant waitress, who was being attacked by a knife-wielding man at the Silver City Galleria on May 10, 2016.

Ever since her husband died, Rosemary Heath has been spreading kindness in his memory, even donating one of her kidneys to honor his legacy.

“He was my hero,” she said. “If I needed anything, he was there.”

Full story here- https://www.wpri.com/news/local-new...ss-cards-on-the-5th-anniversary-of-his-death/

:usa :usa :usa

OM

Louisiana fraternity brothers pay off former cook’s mortgage~
Members of a Louisiana State University fraternity have chipped in more than $50,000 to pay off the mortgage of a woman who fed them when they were students.

From ABC News-

WireAP_fc1948439c3a4e9495e6986bf36700e6_16x9_992.jpg

BAKER, La. -- Members of a Louisiana State University fraternity chipped in more than $50,000 to pay off the mortgage of a woman who fed them when they were students.

About a dozen members of Phi Gamma Delta surprised Jessie Hamilton with the money for her 74th birthday on April 3 in Baker, Louisiana, The Advocate reported. Roughly 90 fraternity members raised $51,765, with each brother donating between $600 and $1,000 on average, the newspaper said.

“That shows how they all felt about her,” said Andrew Fusaiotti, who was a member of the fraternity in the late 1980s. “Jessie is one of these people that shows up to work and always has a smile on her face, eager to please and never complains.”

Hamilton worked for 14 years as a cook for the fraternity, but Fusaiotti also recalled her helping students with rides to the grocery store and doctor when he was on campus.

Another member, Will Rainey, said the fraternity brothers formed a special bond with Hamilton.

At the start of the pandemic, Fusaiotti called to check on her. She was still working two jobs to pay a 30-year mortgage for the home she bought at the age of 60.

Her plan was to continue working until the home was paid off. Now, she has plans to retire and visit Hawaii.

“This has been a blessing to me,” Hamilton said. “I have been worrying about how I was going to pay my house off. I am grateful for what God has done and has led them to do for me.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/louisiana-fraternity-brothers-pay-off-cooks-mortgage-77053894

OM

:)

Seventeen-year-old Walker Smallwood, of Dixie Heights High School in Edgewood, Kentucky, always dreamed of pitching in the pros, until the promising leftie was diagnosed with a rare bone cancer in his leg. Though now in remission, the cancer appears to have ended his baseball career. But not before he got one last chance to pitch in a game. Steve Hartman reports the box score.

om

What we can do when we are all rowing in the same direction ;)

RECAP: 4 astronauts return home in SpaceX Dragon capsule with nighttime splashdown

From News 6 Orlando.

OM

Celebrating Mother's Day

From Steve Hartman-

At her New York premiere, Rebecca Danigelis was pulled in all directions. Everyone wanted a picture with the most unlikely star of the silver screen.

"It was really bizarre because I'm like, 'This is just my mom. We just showed up out of an Uber,'" her son Sian-Pierre Regis said. "She went from hotel housekeeper to household name over the last four or five years."

The journey began in 2016 after she left this voicemail for her son: "I just got fired. Just want you to know that. Call me. Bye."

She had been fired at 75 years old. "I was in shock. I never expected it to happen to me," Danigelis said.

"My biggest worry was like, if she loses her job, what else does she have?" Regis said.

Danigelis tried finding another job. She went to career centers and scoured job listings. But found nothing. "Ain't no reason anybody is going to hire somebody that is 75 years of age," she said.

Which is why her son, a freelance journalist, took a different tack. "She worked her hands to the bone. She deserved to feel joy. And that's what I wanted to give her," he said.

So the mother and son hit the road and started checking items off her bucket list. Milk a cow in Vermont. Done. Take a hip-hop lesson. Check. Learn how to use Instagram. It's still a work in progress.

Regis chronicled their adventure in a new documentary titled, "Duty Free." The film, now showing across the country, is his gift to her.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-hartman-on-the-road-mom-journey-bucket-list/

OM

Love that Steve Hartman. About the only thing I miss, since I’ve stopped watching the “news”. Thanks for sharing Gary.

From another thread here on the forum-

Not a motorist interaction but here goes.

Last June I was northbound on Colo Hwy 145 about 15 miles north of Dolores.
In front of me off the road in the grass I see one of those red flags you put on ATV's and bike trailers.
As I pass by I see its a guy in a wheel chair.
I go about a mile and decide to turn around and see if he's OK.
Well I pull up and meet my new friend Paul.
Paul is a paraplegic from a oil field accident, he is pulling a Red Flyer wagon and is as happy as a man can be.
We talk and hes a talker. He tells me he is on a camping trip GOING BY WHEEL CHAIR From Farmington NM to Grand Junction Co to visit a friend and BACK. I don't know but I'd guess its about 250 -275 miles ea way. He said he averages about 15 miles a day.
I ask him if he needs any water or money. He laughs and smiles and says hes good on both, he said people were so kind they always stop and insist on him taking food and water and beer, so much so he has to put his foot down and say thanks but no thanks.
I guessed he was about 35 and he said he had been in a chair for 7 years after a load of pipe fell on him, crushing his back.
So cherry and positive.
I think of him often when I think I'm having a tough day.
Nick
1990 K 75RT

:)

OM

CBS Sunday morning was focused on policing in America. Here is a nice segment from the midwest-

Help someone out if you can.

OM

We recently had an office involved shooting in where a beloved Police Canine was killed.

A nice tribute-

Fortunately, the two police officers are recovering.......suspect deceased.

OM

I received a text last night from MOA Member "Brian" inquiring about my ability to balance a front tire/wheel for him.
I texted back and Brian showed up right on time at 0800,
Nice guy, he and his wife are traveling via motorhome and riding as they desire.
Tire/Wheel balanced and Brian on his way at 0830.

MOA Rules!

Back