Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Keyless fob price reductions -- whoda thunk it?

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    When my second fob arrived for my R12000R it did not work. So I turned the ignition on with my first fob and then passed the second fob across the antenna. It started working fine.

With my R1200RT when I got the second fob the technician figured out to do it. He just passed the second fob over the antenna on the running RT and it started working fine.

You have to know where the antenna is located. They are different on the RT from the R1200R. You can figure it out in the owner's manual.
    Sounds like an easy way for a thief to get a bike at minimal cost if that's all it takes.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Sounds like an easy way for a thief to get a bike at minimal cost if that's all it takes.
    Ehh....so you buy a new bike. That's bad? I can't remember leaving my bike running without me within 5 feet of it.

Question

Again, what is the benefit of this option?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Same as keyless start for a car. If you appreciate that the benefits on a bike are similar. No need to remove key to open fuel cap is nice imho, and for me, more than once I've forgotten my key in the ignition, a few times while covered at my train station parking lot. So for me and many others it eliminates those types of issues.

Sounds like it may not be for you, but for some it's a huge convenience. I wish I could retrofit it on my 2014.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this feature. It's a little difficult to articulate exactly how good this is because it's more about the little things it removes rather than anything amazing that it adds.

When my wife and I ordered our R1200GS with Keyless Ride we thought it would be a "nice to have" but not much more than that. Since having the bikes for almost 12 months now, we love it. Fob goes in my pocket and never leaves it for the duration of the ride (excluding locking or unlocking the panniers).
    The bike warns you if you have it running and the key is not in close proximity to the bike (indicator on the main display).

It's when we stop that this comes into its own though. Stop, push the button to kill the ignition (not the kill switch) and then walk away. Reverse to get going. Refueling is a dream with no more need to unlock the fuel cap.

The one thing I did need to get used to though was when working on the bike, it's easy to forget to take the fob to the bike. I could put it in my pocket but for some reason it seems easier to put it into the GPS key slot. Sounds strange and possibly says more about my strange ways than anything.

But overall - we love it. Much more than we thought we would.

p.s. We didn't get it fitted, but if you have the factory alarm system, the fob is even more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Same as keyless start for a car. If you appreciate that the benefits on a bike are similar. No need to remove key to open fuel cap is nice imho, and for me, more than once I've forgotten my key in the ignition, a few times while covered at my train station parking lot. So for me and many others it eliminates those types of issues.

Sounds like it may not be for you, but for some it's a huge convenience. I wish I could retrofit it on my 2014.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    No, it's not. The chip is coded by VIN. The bike will only recognize a key coded specifically to its ignition system.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Programming a spare key fob...reviving old thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    ...With my R1200RT when I got the second fob the technician figured out to do it. He just passed the second fob over the antenna on the running RT and it started working fine....
    I have a 2017 R1200RT. I bought the bike used, and got 1 keyless ride fob and 1 plastic emergency key. I decided to buy a spare fob, and I just got it a few days ago. The flip key fits my locks perfectly. However, I have been unsuccessful getting the radio transmitter to register with my bike. I tried several variants of instructions posted on the internet, including the instructions quoted above. No luck.

So, I'm looking for some ideas. Here is what will work: I can start my bike with my original fob if it is within 10 feet or so of the bike. I can start it with the emergency key placed on the shelf above the instrument panel, with the GPS removed.

I notice while I am doing this that the instrument panel has a key-shaped icon and another indication below it. Sometimes the word "SERVICE" appears briefly below the key icon. More often, there is a ? question mark symbol displayed. And finally, while trying several different locations for the spare fob, I would sometimes get two key icons stacked, with one of them showing the ? icon.

In some versions of the programming instructions, the advice is to press the BMW roundel on the fob. But that seems to make no difference in my case. As a precautionary measure, I replaced the battery in my new fob, but that also made no difference.

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Cap

Spare Battery

I have a spare battery for the remote taped to the user manual.

Well is it not obvious? The benefits are.... er... nevermind.

Annie and I have keyless ignition on both our GS/As. It does save us from the arduous tasks of inserting, turning and withdrawing a key. The keyless system is not bullet proof. We were having problems with the bike not sensing the key. New batteries were of no effect, dealer said there were multiple key codes stored and clearing them helped for awhile. Turned out that our new Cardo Packtalk radios were interfering with the bike to fob communication when we wore the fob around our necks. Moving the fobs to our pants pockets solved the problem.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I have a 2017 R1200RT. I bought the bike used, and got 1 keyless ride fob and 1 plastic emergency key. I decided to buy a spare fob, and I just got it a few days ago. The flip key fits my locks perfectly. However, I have been unsuccessful getting the radio transmitter to register with my bike. I tried several variants of instructions posted on the internet, including the instructions quoted above. No luck.
    I bought a replacement FOB for my 2018 R1200RT and had to remove the windshield and the top cover over the dash to get right up to the antenna before my FOB would mate up.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

For me, not spending the hundreds of dollars at the dealership replacing the electronic start solenoid worn out after 6 years of inserting and removing the key on my 05 R1200RT. Remember all those threads about electronic failures when the key is turned on the 05-13 hex heads? Problem solved, no moving parts or tumblers to wear out anymore.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I bought a replacement FOB for my 2018 R1200RT and had to remove the windshield and the top cover over the dash to get right up to the antenna before my FOB would mate up.
    OK, thanks. I will try that. I searched the forum for advice before reviving this old thread. If anyone else has information about the process, I would love to hear it.

Cap

drgnhtr

Service Bulliten

You need service bulliten 66 002 15 (022). Dated Aug 2015.

The trick on my 2018 RT was to loosen the hardware so that I could slide the fob in between the dash and the "shelf" below the windshield.
    If you can't get the bulliten send me a note and I'll scan it for you.

I would think that once starting the bike with the original FOB present, and then moving the original FOB from the area while trying to train the new FOB would be helpful.
    They get confused when multiple FOBs and other electronic equipment is present, so try that before disassembling your front end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    I would think that once starting the bike with the original FOB present, and then moving the original FOB from the area while trying to train the new FOB would be helpful.
    They get confused when multiple FOBs and other electronic equipment is present, so try that before disassembling your front end.

I moved the original FOB 100 feet away and the new one would not pair until pulled the windshield and the top dash panel off.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!