Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Keyless fob price reductions -- whoda thunk it?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I moved the original FOB 100 feet away and the new one would not pair until pulled the windshield and the top dash panel off.
    Does this mean that if I bought a fob I could go find a bike and get the new fob to pair with it? I am fuzzy on this issue.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  2. #32
    drgnhtr
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Castro Valley Ca.
    Posts
    65

    Fob

    Here are are the instructions for programming a new fob. I have done this to three bikes with no problems.
    the only issue that I have run into was getting the fob close enough to the antenna which required pulling the
    two screws on top of the shelf to create a space to slide the body of the
    new fob into.

    fob.pdf

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Does this mean that if I bought a fob I could go find a bike and get the new fob to pair with it? I am fuzzy on this issue.

    As long as the bike is turned on and the original FOB away from the bike, yes!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  4. #34
    drgnhtr
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Castro Valley Ca.
    Posts
    65

    fob

    I don't think so. When the fob is ordered it's for a specific bike via your ID and the vin number and pink slip that's why they require id and title. You cannot go up to any bike and pair it.

  5. #35
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by drgnhtr View Post
    I don't think so. When the fob is ordered it's for a specific bike via your ID and the vin number and pink slip that's why they require id and title. You cannot go up to any bike and pair it.
    ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

    Check the “Important Note” that is the last paragraph of the SI bulletin that was posted. Fobs are VIN-specific.

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    465
    I disagree. The only thing VIN specific is the flip out key. The elecronics in the FOB are not. If the FOB was VIN specific, why doesn't come mated to the motorcycle out of the package. BMW should know the specific frequency code by the VIN so it shouldn't have to be mated if it was true.

    (On the other hand, I might be wrong!)
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  7. #37
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Does this mean that if I bought a fob I could go find a bike and get the new fob to pair with it? I am fuzzy on this issue.
    Thanks for these responses, they are helpful. Yes, when we buy a spare key fob from BMW, they come with the flip key already cut for our bike based on the VIN supplied at time of purchase. However, the radio transmitter has not been activated for our bike. So, we need to perform a process in which the new spare key fob becomes activated. That is what I have been unable to accomplish.

    There are some videos on YouTube that seem show a trivial process of waving the new fob over the area in front of the dash panel, after the bike has been turned on with another key present, and instantly the new fob is registered. I wish that worked for me, but it doesn't. I have been tinkering with this for several days. I have been avoiding removal of the bodywork -- but it seems that is the next step. Actually, I think it might be easier to remove the left-side speaker rather than the topside dash cover.

    And yes, I could take it to the dealer, but they want $100+ for the service, and that seems a bit much, considering I already paid close to $300 for the fob itself.

    Cap

  8. #38
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,501
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    Thanks for these responses, they are helpful. Yes, when we buy a spare key fob from BMW, they come with the flip key already cut for our bike based on the VIN supplied at time of purchase. However, the radio transmitter has not been activated for our bike. So, we need to perform a process in which the new spare key fob becomes activated. That is what I have been unable to accomplish.

    There are some videos on YouTube that seem show a trivial process of waving the new fob over the area in front of the dash panel, after the bike has been turned on with another key present, and instantly the new fob is registered. I wish that worked for me, but it doesn't. I have been tinkering with this for several days. I have been avoiding removal of the bodywork -- but it seems that is the next step. Actually, I think it might be easier to remove the left-side speaker rather than the topside dash cover.

    And yes, I could take it to the dealer, but they want $100+ for the service, and that seems a bit much, considering I already paid close to $300 for the fob itself.

    Cap
    A dealer that wants $100 to pair a fob has revealed that the dealership is a place to be avoided. I purchased spare fobs for my GSA and Annie's GS. In one case the service manger paired the fob and in the other case the sales manger did the same. No charge
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  9. #39
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by drgnhtr View Post
    Here are are the instructions for programming a new fob.... required pulling the
    two screws on top of the shelf to create a space to slide the body of the new fob into.
    Thanks! That did the trick. By pulling the two screws at the top corners of the dash cover, you can lift it up a bit. The screws are T25 and are accessible by raising the windscreen. I used a long needle-nose plier to hold the flip key, and inserted the fob into the gap just above the instrument pod and below the GPS dock, while raising the loose dash.

    The BMW service bulletin doesn't specify how you are supposed to turn the ignition button on -- that is, using the emergency key or your original fob. So, I used my original fob by placing it on the motorcycle seat. I pushed the ignition button, waited for boot up, and then inserted the new fob into the enlarged gap above the instrument pod. Nothing happened immediately. I moved it around for ~10 seconds, and then the instrument panel indicated a key icon with a ? symbol below it. I turned off the ignition, and moved both key fobs out of range to verify non-start. And then, I tried the new fob, and it worked (for the first time).

    Cap

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •