• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless fob price reductions -- whoda thunk it?

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
I know, it could be impossible to believe.

Last year a few fools (like me) ponied up $284 to obtain a second fob for the keyless BMW R1200RT.

Some genius in Muich concluded that that price, even for BMW, was obscene. It has been reduced 50%!

You can now purchase a second fob for your RT for the incredible retail bargain price of $142! Still obscene? No comment.

I know. I just ordered one (fool that I am) from my dealer for my R1200R.

P.S. I love this f**king R1200RT!

keyless fob 1200.jpg

At Max BMW for example, the parts fiche shows 66 12 8 555 168 KEY FOB TRANSMITTER KEYLESS RIDE - 434MHZ 1 $142.00

Just ordered mine today from Iron Horse here in Tucson AZ. $160 with tax? Just bought a new 2015 R1200R. (blue)

Jack

Programming?

If you buy an additional fob, do't you also have to pay extra to have it programmed to match the original fob? That's what I was told by my dealer.

If you buy an additional fob, do't you also have to pay extra to have it programmed to match the original fob? That's what I was told by my dealer.

When my second fob arrived for my R12000R it did not work. So I turned the ignition on with my first fob and then passed the second fob across the antenna. It started working fine.

With my R1200RT when I got the second fob the technician figured out to do it. He just passed the second fob over the antenna on the running RT and it started working fine.

You have to know where the antenna is located. They are different on the RT from the R1200R. You can figure it out in the owner's manual.

When my second fob arrived for my R12000R it did not work. So I turned the ignition on with my first fob and then passed the second fob across the antenna. It started working fine.

With my R1200RT when I got the second fob the technician figured out to do it. He just passed the second fob over the antenna on the running RT and it started working fine.

You have to know where the antenna is located. They are different on the RT from the R1200R. You can figure it out in the owner's manual.

So, does the bike learn to recognize 2 different fobs or does the new fob learn the code of a running bike? Do both fobs work after this procedure or is the first fob no longer recognized. Just wondering if you know and of course it's cool if you don't. Very helpful info in any case!

Sounds like an easy way for a thief to get a bike at minimal cost if that's all it takes.

Again, what is the benefit of this option?
Same as keyless start for a car. If you appreciate that the benefits on a bike are similar. No need to remove key to open fuel cap is nice imho, and for me, more than once I've forgotten my key in the ignition, a few times while covered at my train station parking lot. So for me and many others it eliminates those types of issues.

Sounds like it may not be for you, but for some it's a huge convenience. I wish I could retrofit it on my 2014.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this feature. It's a little difficult to articulate exactly how good this is because it's more about the little things it removes rather than anything amazing that it adds.

When my wife and I ordered our R1200GS with Keyless Ride we thought it would be a "nice to have" but not much more than that. Since having the bikes for almost 12 months now, we love it. Fob goes in my pocket and never leaves it for the duration of the ride (excluding locking or unlocking the panniers).
The bike warns you if you have it running and the key is not in close proximity to the bike (indicator on the main display).

It's when we stop that this comes into its own though. Stop, push the button to kill the ignition (not the kill switch) and then walk away. Reverse to get going. Refueling is a dream with no more need to unlock the fuel cap.

The one thing I did need to get used to though was when working on the bike, it's easy to forget to take the fob to the bike. I could put it in my pocket but for some reason it seems easier to put it into the GPS key slot. Sounds strange and possibly says more about my strange ways than anything.

But overall - we love it. Much more than we thought we would.

p.s. We didn't get it fitted, but if you have the factory alarm system, the fob is even more useful.

Same as keyless start for a car. If you appreciate that the benefits on a bike are similar. No need to remove key to open fuel cap is nice imho, and for me, more than once I've forgotten my key in the ignition, a few times while covered at my train station parking lot. So for me and many others it eliminates those types of issues.

Sounds like it may not be for you, but for some it's a huge convenience. I wish I could retrofit it on my 2014.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

Back