• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200 ST - Fuel Strip Work Around?

mschack

Ok, so I am heading back to the dealer for another fuel strip. :banghead It's under warranty, so should be no cost to me except it took three weeks to get an appointment.

So :scratch I was wondering if there is not a way to jumper the four wire connector to the fuel strip so that the computer thinks I have a full tank and stops flashing the gas pump symbol and turning on the yellow warning triangle.

Then I can go back to the "tried and true" method of using one of my trip odometers to track my fuel usage. I'm hoping the new strip lasts longer than the last three, but I'm thinking that this might just put this problem to rest.

From my previous research, I thought that the two outside wires of the four are for the "heating" element? I know, strange, but that was what I was told and the middle two would then be a loop which depending on fuel level would send various current levels to the ECU, hence indicating the fuel level. So, in my mind, i am thinking that jumping these two connectors might give a FULL reading. Just thinking out loud here, and hoping wiser people than I, would have some thoughts on this.

Any ideas?

I believe it's on ADVRider - there is a thread complete with a diagram on how to trick the ZFE into thinking the tank is half full. It involves a few resistors. Don't have the link, but some searching there will probably turn it up. Or even a Google might turn it up.

I believe it's on ADVRider - there is a thread complete with a diagram on how to trick the ZFE into thinking the tank is half full. It involves a few resistors. Don't have the link, but some searching there will probably turn it up. Or even a Google might turn it up.

Thank You!!! :thumb:thumb

Anyway the idea is to replace the fuel strip sensor strip with something like a 2K resistance simulating a mostly full tank and then for some reason I do not know, a 1 Meg to reference the 2 K to a bias voltage? which I think is probably the gray/grn/purp wire (one side of the power to the heater circuit). You could vary the 2K value up or down and set the fuel level readout where ever you desire.

Here...read about it...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fuel-strip-spoof-results.1040056/

Anyway the idea is to replace the fuel strip sensor strip with something like a 2K resistance simulating a mostly full tank and then for some reason I do not know, a 1 Meg to reference the 2 K to a bias voltage? which I think is probably the gray/grn/purp wire (one side of the power to the heater circuit). You could vary the 2K value up or down and set the fuel level readout where ever you desire.

Here...read about it...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fuel-strip-spoof-results.1040056/

Perfect . . . just what I was looking for. :thumb:thumb

Back